IW STi Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 172 Posts

·
Banned
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I just made the first Piston knob. It weighs a massive 526 grams! Im going to post a pic tomorrow when the sun comes up. Im taking orders for those. Paypal info is in Post #1

·
Banned
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Is the piston any larger than the copolymer version? Or just heavier?
My theory is to have all the specific names of the knobs the same dimensions, just in different materials. What I did change was the piston shape, which was originally only 2.5" tall, but I have increased it to 3" tall so your entire hand can grab around it vertically. Thats the new size for ALL the STi piston knobs

·
Murderer & Drug Dealer
11,940 Posts
My theory is to have all the specific names of the knobs the same dimensions, just in different materials. What I did change was the piston shape, which was originally only 2.5" tall, but I have increased it to 3" tall so your entire hand can grab around it vertically. Thats the new size for ALL the STi piston knobs
The height was why I asked. It's just a bit smaller than I need. The new one sounds like it'd be perfect. Bump for a pic, and a side by side comparo would be FTW.

·
Banned
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #67

Heres the new Stainless knob. I dont have the old ones in stock, so I can't make a comparo pic. This one perfectly fits your entire hand around it so you can hold it without touching the reverse mechanism at the same time. This one is 3" tall overall.

Szumita, I can make the piston any size you want, shorter, skinnier, etc.

·
Banned
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
oh damnit!

when can you?
It was not planned to be on my list anytime soon because so few people buy that style. I'll see what I can do for you though.

The stainless Piston is offered in a tall version (3" tall as shown in the pic), and 2.6" tall short version like the original piston knobs are.

·
Banned
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #74 (Edited)
Changed your mind, Huh? lol
The original one I made in your quote was a huge cylinder, about 1.75" diameter, and about 4" tall (customer's requested shape). The sloppiness was from the shape, moreso than the weight. I didnt realize this until i made a steel knob in a smaller size, represented by my 2" sphere and 1.5" diameter piston shape, which are MUCH easier to handle. This makes the knob just as comfortable as my earlier aluminum and copolymer designs, but with the addition of a huge amount of weight for an easier shift.

The discussion in that "totsubo 1 pound knob" thread was the exact reason I decided to make a super-heavy steel shiftknob. I wondered if there was a place in the market for a heavyweight contender since so many guys showed interest in that Totsubo one, I thought I'd give it a try. As you can see, I was VERY surprised by how nice these new ones turned out. So YES, I did change my mind :)

Read later in that post, and in post#1 on this thread. Youll see how I refer to the correct knob size helps tremendously. In addition, I also state many times that high or low weight is always a personal preference.

You be the judge if you like a heavy knob or a light one :tup:

·
Banned
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
autocannon, I received it, and will ship monday since I have one of the pistons in stock, the exact one shown in the pic.

·
Banned
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Just got "Renns" order. Shipping it tomorrow since I worked on easter and made some extras.

please remember to put the KNOB DESCRIPTION in your paypal note so I know what knob you want. If you dont post up here, I'll never be able to know what you want unless I email that paypal account and ask. Save me time :) thanks,

·
Murderer & Drug Dealer
11,940 Posts
I hope to place an order soon. Let me see what the ol CC bill ends up as. Might wait til the end of the month. ;)

·
Banned
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
out of curiosity, how much would you charge me for a capsule in SS?
probably around 100 in stainless. it takes a really long time to line up the double rounds perfectly tangent with the outer surface of the knob. Any runout means they dont flow smoothly from the cylinder to the sphere shape. plus the stainless is hard as anything to cut

61 - 80 of 172 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.