IW STi Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have never used a really heavy shift knob and I was thinking about trying one on the Kartboy short shifter I just ordered for my 08.

But I have a few questions. The first is does it really effect shift feel that much?? Does anyone not like theirs?

Next is a mechanical question. Does having a heavy shift knob stress the rest of the transmission. I know that you aren't supposed to drive around with your hand resting on the shifter for exactly that reason. Does having a 1 pound metal ball up there have any effect or am I being paranoid?:confused:

·
Registered
818 Posts
So I have never used a really heavy shift knob and I was thinking about trying one on the Kartboy short shifter I just ordered for my 08.

But I have a few questions. The first is does it really effect shift feel that much?? Does anyone not like theirs?

Next is a mechanical question. Does having a heavy shift knob stress the rest of the transmission. I know that you aren't supposed to drive around with your hand resting on the shifter for exactly that reason. Does having a 1 pound metal ball up there have any effect or am I being paranoid?:confused:
For the first, I've driven a couple heavy-weight shifters, they "feel" smoother and I like them. It's personal responsiveness... You could always sell it at the next meet near you if you don't. Not sure about that last question, it's a good one. I'm considering as well and hopefully somebody can chime in.

·
Murderer & Drug Dealer
11,940 Posts
I have one and love it. I'm no engineer, but I cannot think of a way a heavier shift knob is going to affect the gearbox. The resting your hand on the shifter deal isn't due to the weight of your hand, it's because that doesn't allow the shifter to move as the trans moves. As long as the shifter is allowed to, well, shift, you should be golden.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I see this as a "grounding kit" mod...of a sorts. Probably does nothing but people buy them and seem to like them...so...

·
Murderer & Drug Dealer
11,940 Posts
I see this as a "grounding kit" mod...of a sorts. Probably does nothing but people buy them and seem to like them...so...
Excepting that you can actually feel the difference and don't have to mess with your wiring, yeah, they're exactly the same. :rolleyes: :lol:

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Excepting that you can actually feel the difference and don't have to mess with your wiring, yeah, they're exactly the same. :rolleyes: :lol:
My post wasnt meant to be a diss on you and I never said they were "exactly the same" did I?...but yeah...they are on the same level. Some people claim that they can "feel" a difference from a grounding kits. I guess this is the mod you get when you have already modded out and are dying to spend money on something.

If someone handed me one or game me the money to buy one I would pimp it.:)

·
Murderer & Drug Dealer
11,940 Posts
My post wasnt meant to be a diss on you and I never said they were "exactly the same" did I?...but yeah...they are on the same level. Some people claim that they can "feel" a difference from a grounding kits. I guess this is the mod you get when you have already modded out and are dying to spend money on something.

If someone handed me one or game me the money to buy one I would pimp it.:)
Just seemed like and apples to oranges comparison to me. I dunno how anyone could "feel" a grounding kit, and have never heard such. Have you ever tried a heavier shift knob?

If not, how the heck would you know one way or the other?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Just seemed like and apples to oranges comparison to me. I dunno how anyone could "feel" a grounding kit, and have never heard such. Have you ever tried a heavier shift knob?

If not, how the heck would you know one way or the other?
I had one on my old car...and no it didnt make much of a difference. :) So I guess my answer is yes and no. Maybe the STi is just such a different animal that I dont even know whats up...

·
Murderer & Drug Dealer
11,940 Posts
I had one on my old car...and no it didnt make much of a difference. :) So I guess my answer is yes and no. Maybe the STi is just such a different animal that I dont even know whats up...
:lol: Sorry man. Not trying to bust your balls. I'm just guarding against that: "I love/hate this mod even though I've never tried it." Seems to be becoming more prevalent lately. ;)

·
Banned
1,708 Posts
What do you touch the most in your car?
One thing is the steering wheel, the other is the SHIFT KNOB. This is why I am a huge believer that changing the shift knob to something better can drastically improve the entire feel of your car. I've had over 30 different knob types on my personal car and each one made the car drive a bit different.

The heavy knobs offer a large amount of smoothness that nothing else compares to. Its hard to explain, but the shifter just feels more solid.

Putting a heavy knob on the shifter will NOT damage your transmission. Resting your hand on the shifter puts an external force on the linkage if you do it purposely or not, you're adding a variable of forces or resistances to the natural motion of the lever during driving. These forces transfer directly through the linkage. A heavy knob adds no extra force if you are not touching it.
I fully believe that a heavy knob can only help the car, and if you don't believe me, ask Dan at AndrewTech.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
The shifter is a lever. Placing more weight on one end of a lever will cause it to move easier once its inertia is overcome. It will require more force to start it moving, but once moving, it will move into the gears easier.

The same effect can be gained by increasing the length of the lever, without needing to overcome the inertia of the increased weight. That's why I prefer a taller shift lever to a heavier knob. I have a pistol grip knob on a lever extender, it's tall and I like it a lot. Take a look at the rally cars. Their shifters are very tall, both for easy shifting and keeping the driver's hand near the wheel.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
The added mass increases effort to move the shifter and places addition stress on the mechanism that stops the shifting motion. Everytime the car accelerates, decelerates, moves laterally, over bumps, vibrations, etc. that additional mass creates significantly more stess on the mechanism. The formula is F=MA (force = mass x acceleration), Newton's second law. So if the knob weighs 5x more than the factory one expect 5x more force placed upon the shift linkage and into the transmission. Since there is very little long term data on this effect it's a gamble. STi trannies are generally loud and you can hear the difference it makes (sometimes, depending on the car) by resting your hand on the knob, or pulling or pushin on it slightly, that added tranny noise. I think most are wise to the fact that resting your hand on the shifter is bad, but if you have one of these heavy knobs, everytime your car is subject to forces as previously stated, you are subjecting the transmission to the same additional stress.

I can see why some people like the heavy knobs as the additional inertia powers through any notchyness with less feedback to the driver. Heavy things don't change direction as easily as light things. I think we can all agree on that. Personally I find the lighter knob much more flickable and you can feel every little notch the transmission mechanisms goes through to get into the next gear. The same way I like the feedback and feel of hitting a piece of bubble gum while hammering through a hairpin corner. It's a pure driving experience that I'd never want to numb.

·
Registered
357 Posts
i love mine, i have a kartboy ss too. but, did you ever notice big trucks have huge shifters? there's a reason for that. the throws are so much easier and more positive, feels soo much better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts