IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving do you think I should wash off my car before putting it into my heated garage? I am concerned about salt damaging my car faster.

I live in Canada.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
heated garage?!!!!!! you are one lucky individual. i would say definately wash your car!!! you'll be able to give it a good washing and then stick in in your garage before everything freezes up. i wish i had a heated garage.....been so cold lately i have'nt had a real oppurtunity to wash my own car.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yes, salt damage is definitely worse above the freezing point of water. Remember salt water has a lower melting point, ~28 degrees F. I use 25 degrees F as the warning number for accelerated salt damage.
If you have to put your car in the garage without washing it, I would go so far as to say turn off the heat.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
M said:
Yes, salt damage is definitely worse above the freezing point of water. Remember salt water has a lower melting point, ~28 degrees F. I use 25 degrees F as the warning number for accelerated salt damage.
If you have to put your car in the garage without washing it, I would go so far as to say turn off the heat.
I think that is a little paranoid to be honest. I think garaging the car in a heated garage and washing it once a week is still way better than leaving it outside and not washing it for 2 weeks or whatever. 50-60F in the garage isn't going to make a dramatic difference in the longevity of anything that will rust anyway.

-st

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Once the salt water melts, it starts to evaporate and oxidize.

While the water is frozen, little or no rust can form. Once it melts, it starts to oxidize and rust metal parts of the car.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
bitabur said:
Once the salt water melts, it starts to evaporate and oxidize.

While the water is frozen, little or no rust can form. Once it melts, it starts to oxidize and rust metal parts of the car.
I understand the concept, but I don't think it makes a huge difference. What exactly are you concerned about rusting? The exhaust will rust badly no matter what really, as will the headers more than likely. The body panels are galvanized. Just wash off the suspension once a week.

-st

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Fortunately....they don't make em like they used to. You won't be getting rust from road salt on body panels unless you have managed to removed the paint and coatings down to bare metal. Be good to the car, wash as often as you can for the sake of the finish, but it isn't as big of a deal as it used to be.

Be sure to blow off under the hood as all the components and hoses under there will be most affected. As others have said, salt is most dangerour above freezing and the saltwater mist that hits the engine bay is quickly and often taken to a bake-on temperature. I've noticed the surface finish on quick a few components look oxidized now.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
Fortunately....they don't make em like they used to. You won't be getting rust from road salt on body panels unless you have managed to removed the paint and coatings down to bare metal. Be good to the car, wash as often as you can for the sake of the finish, but it isn't as big of a deal as it used to be.

Be sure to blow off under the hood as all the components and hoses under there will be most affected. As others have said, salt is most dangerour above freezing and the saltwater mist that hits the engine bay is quickly and often taken to a bake-on temperature. I've noticed the surface finish on quick a few components look oxidized now.
Another thing I've noticed is that the front hood scoop/grill/radiator/intake snorkle design is really excellent. Even with all the openings in the front of the car, the amount of water that gets in is really minimized to certain areas. When I use to drive my A6 in the winter, the entire engine would be totally coated in salt. My gf's A4 is the same way.

-st

1 - 9 of 9 Posts