IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay guys I was wondering since the borla header does not come with any heatshields, would the heat from my header damage anything around it, like melt the splash gaurd or something like that. Any inputs? Thanks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
my big consern is how close it is to the oil filter. Baking close
other than that i dont see any as long as you have a one inch
gap between the splashshield.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think I have heard mention that Borla is ceramic coated but I do not have any idea how effective it is at heat management. I will tell you that p.a.sti's concern is the biggest one. Of all the headers I have tried - I would not use one without thermal coating or heat wrap - there is no point in heating the oil filter immediately after the oil has just left the oil cooler.

This is why for the longest time we shipped all of our headers for JH 2000 coating prior to taking them into inventory and only sold them coated. We do offer them uncoated now due to demand - but still sell 4 times more coated than uncoated headers - probably because we so strongly discourage use of bare SS so close to the oil filter and oil pan to the point of having considered signed waivers or agreement to wrap uncoated headers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone knows a good place to go to get my borla header coated? I live in Houston TX.

·
Registered
219 Posts
D.D. said:
Anyone knows a good place to go to get my borla header coated? I live in Houston TX.
$40 in fiberglass exhuast wrap will also do the trick. And since it's mostly protected from the elements, it will last a long time as well.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Re: lowered STi, IN THE REAR ONLY!!!!

I agree just wrap the header if you're concerned but we have done many many stainless headers here and no problems with heat either on the dyno or street. They work very well either way although Jet Hot coating it and/or wrapping it is not a bad way to get rid of a bit of the lag.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The only prob with wraping some brands of hedders is that you will have to remove it to get your oilfilter off. My HKS hedder is so close that the last thred or two of the filter actually hits the hedder when removing. Now I have a early pro hks so the new ones may be diff.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
using header wrap on stainless steel WILL cause corrosion and decrease the life span of the unit. mild steel can be wrapped and it will increase the life of the mild steel header. i am looking (again) for the info so i can put up a link.

ted

·
Registered
153 Posts
My biggest concern is that someone gets on a long road course with no management on the heat of the header and it heat soaks the pan and the filter - nothing can ruin a good day at the track like 260*+ oil temps. Besides the oil proximity heat management will keep under hood temps and heat soaking lower and the benefit of increased exhaust velocity. Properly coated inside and outside the benefits are many - I am not aware of any drawbacks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FYI I've contacted Borla, and I was told that thier SS headers are not coated. I've found a place that will coat my header for $100 (inside & out), and it's 5 min. away from where I live. Thank god for yellow pages.

·
Registered
153 Posts
That is a really good deal. I would check on three things to make sure you go in informed - what is the temperature rating of the coating, has it been used in pre-turbo exhaust pieces before & how smooth and complete will the inside coating be. With good answers to all those you will be golden.

Either my memory is going or the person who mentioned that borla was coated was mistaken.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
tests have been done by domestic car mags using ceramic coated and uncoated headers. not only did the ceramic coated headers reduce the surface temp of the header by hundreds of degrees they also made more power. these tests where done on a V8 but the results would be the same on a Flat 4. also the coated headers won't rust. the only reason not to buy a coated header is cost. i know for my 69 camaro uncoated headers are about $199 and the coated ones go for about $599 or more.
header wraps are old technology and i don't think anyone should be recommending them anymore. not only do they trap moisture they tend to rot overtime, look like crap and usually void any warranty a manufacturer offers on thier product.

·
Registered
44 Posts
How about just using some of the exhaust wrap to wrap the oil filter? Short piece of wrap, couple of hose clamps and you're done.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
How about just using some of the exhaust wrap to wrap the oil filter? Short piece of wrap, couple of hose clamps and you're done
thats a neat idea. but it might cause the oil to run hot anyway. oil loses a good deal of heat through the oil filter. if there's enough space just build a heat shield. OR you could possibly find a remote oil filter set-up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts