IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, let's talk headunits and only headunits as they are the starting point for any system.

Brands, models, etc.

My perfect headunit:

2-DIN, Tape and 6-Disc In Dash Changer
MP3 Capable
XM or Sirius Capable
Built in Crossover, Sub-Out, EQ

Does such a beast even exist? If so, I would like to know... :)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Uh...not sure about the tape/changer deal. Not even sure about a 2-din 6 disc. Personally, I think 6-discs are more trouble than they are worth. My fiance's Maxima has one and by the time you've figured out which number is the CD you want, you could have swapped out a single disc player twice.

Sirius is the service I'd like to go with for satellite. From reading write ups, it is a much better service than XM. Sirius is used by Clarion, Kenwood....not sure who else.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are probably right about the 6 disc thing. But having the equivelant of 60 CD's worth (using ~160K mp3) of music in your dash does sound very appealing. :)

Thanks for the heads up on Sirius- maybe you can link to some of those writeups, I am curious..

Furthermore, I have heard the WRX 6-Disc in-dash seems to have a nasty habit of eating CD's (just a HEADS-up). :)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
JJ said:
Ok, let's talk headunits and only headunits as they are the starting point for any system.
actually, i always thought speakers there the starting point of any audio system? ;)

seriously though. for me, i'm looking for single-din since i like the hks gauge setup that is positioned under the hu. *so far* the alpine 7995 looks like what i'll want. however, still looking for a less expensive unit without amp that has aux-in and does not support mp3s. for mp3s, i'm going to use an ipod and aux-in. i have cd/mp3in my car now and i find i never use it. i don't wanna to take the time to select music and burn CDs before a trip. i'd rather take 20gb of music and decide on the fly.

regarding your query, it's easy to find different combinations of features but i haven't seen anything with all those features. what are your priorities? i've been able to find the following (all of which are double din):

this has tape, single cd, xm, 3preouts (e.g. subout), crossover control.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/CarProducts/CarProductDetails/0,1429,525,00.html

if you can give up xm and can accept only 2 preouts, there this lower pioneer:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/CarProducts/CarAlbum/0,1427,40~4010~4010700,00.html

kenwood has this, but <shrug>
http://www.kenwood.com.au/car3.asp?gid=1&cid=24&pid=370

what i haven't found is indash changer.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I went with Blaupunkt Siingle-DIN MD reciever and Bluapunkt Single-DIN 5-disc changer.
Hopefully the changer will be a little easier to keep track of CDs with since it actually has 5 seperate slots.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
JJ, I am going to go with the same HU as 4MLA1FN is..the Alpine 7995. If you don't like Alpine check another company, but go with one that is silver faced to match the interior trim of the STi.

I own the Alpine 7994 in our 4Runner and it is awesome! It is a single DIN, MP3, CD with the works..XM, etc. With the MP3 discs you can hit "random" and have 10 hours of music just shuffling (at around 128K MP3s). If you're looking for more music capability go with a matching Alpine CD changer (but go with the one that has MP3 compatible CDR/CDRWs. I think that is another $230 from Cruthfield (for example). This way you would have up to 7 discs of music whether they are MP3 or regular CDs.

If you want the 6 disc with cassette stick with the OEM unit. <--which I wouldn't. As far as double din, get that if you want, otherwise get a nice install with nice install kit, or go with the Sparco car and have your gauges mounted underneath.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was lookign at the alpine 7995 as well, but need something with Aux in on the FRONT panel to plug in the iPod.

ANy recommendations? I am not locked on the Alpine either.

Does any vendor make one with Firewire input on the front? I wish...

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
WRC Wing

Joemama,
I know on the 7994 (the model I have), and I am sure on the 7995 there is a rear aux input. You can actually install the HU to make the aux input accessible to anything you want to plug it into by adding an extension and then making the extension visible outside the dash.
Todd

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
91TB78 said:
You can actually install the HU to make the aux input accessible to anything you want to plug it into by adding an extension and then making the extension visible outside the dash.
Todd
91TB78: is that aux input a standard 1/8" stereo socket? i was reading the alpine site and it sounded like it used a propriety connector. (it said something about you not being able to use the aux-in and cd-changer port at the same time. :eek: ) i'm gonna see is alpine have their manuals online.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
joemama said:
I was lookign at the alpine 7995 as well...
likely we all know this, but just to be safe: the 7995 has no amp. this is fine with me since i was planning a 5channel amp anyway. hopefully alpine put the dollars they'd have spent on an amp section on better radio, cd, electronics.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
4MLA1FN,
I don't know if it uses the standard aux connection or a propietary Alpine connection. I would assume that you would still be able to plug in whatever you plan on plugging in, otherwise why have it?! I'll check my owner's manual on the 7994.

Yeah, the 7995 doesn't have a built-in amp, but if you're like me just get a nice 4-channel to run the 2 pair of speakers..that voilà you have a really nice sounding setup that is very simple and not too heavy. I don't plan on going with a sub, so the 5-channel is no biggie.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
91TB78 said:
4MLA1FN,
I don't know if it uses the standard aux connection or a propietary Alpine connection. I would assume that you would still be able to plug in whatever you plan on plugging in, otherwise why have it?!.
doh, i'm sorry. i didn't finish my thought. i brought up the propriety connector thing only to say that it was one more thing to purchase, compared to if there was a standard mini stereo socket, like on my very old sony cdx-5080 (that one happened to be front-mounted.)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So currently it looks like I might be sticking with my 1.5 year old Alpine CDA-7878 or go with the 7995. The 7878 was the first MP3 capable HU from Alpine, and it works great but I maybe wanted to put something "new" in my new car if you know what I mean. :)

What's the model number of the changer? Will it work with the 7878 or 7995 just like you are using it's internal player (i.e. ID3 tagging, etc)?

Panasonic has this 7" Widescreen LCD HU with DVD, MP3, Crossover, etc, etc but it is 2300.00! :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
chawklit said:
i'm really confused on this 1-DIN and 2-DIN thing, could someone explain it to me?
double-din is the double-high head unit; it looks almost square. the usual single-din is very oblong. the subaru has a double-din hole. you don't have to use a double-din receiver however. but if you use a single-din unit, i've been told you should be careful with the kit you use. visit crutchfield.com and type in "double din". or here, i've done it for you. :)

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-SRpEqbonP4a/ProdSearch.asp?Search=double+din

i'll likely order mine from crutchfield. i've had good service from them and their kits have been very good.

·
Registered
886 Posts
so is like one better than the other, or are they just two different connection formats that have basically the same quality? sorry, but i really don't know anything about stereo stuff except that to have a good one, you need a cdplayer, speakers, and a sub. :p

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
to my thinking, the main benefits of getting/wanting a double-din unit are a) it's an easy fit if your car has a double-din hole (duh); b) if you must have cassette, it's a good way to get cd/mp3/cassette in one unit; c) you can get a in-dash 6-disc changer, at least from the dealer.

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
1 - 20 of 59 Posts