IW STi Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a little confused with the type of headlights that come with the 06 STI. From what i understand the lowbeams are HID but the highbeams are high performance halogens? Is this correct?

If he highbeams are halogens is it possible to switch them to HID as well? Could the ballast for the lowbeams used to power the highbeams as well or will you need a seprate kit for the highbeams?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Yeah.. the high beams are regular halogen bulbs and the low beams are HID projectors.

I'm pretty sure theres a way to make the high beams HID, but you might need a second ballast. Not 100% sure.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Prob buy a HID kit for a 9005 bold (i think that's the highbeam one)

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
there is really no reason to do this (if you will be driving on road) as that HID lights take time to warm up, and would be very inefficient for turning them on/off quickly for oncoming traffic. Not to mention expensive! A good set of Phillips/Osram ballasts with harness and capsules will run you over $600. Even then you have to worry about the heat since the housing isn't made for the temp. in that area

sorry to bust your bubble

·
Registered
98 Posts
Otter said:
there is really no reason to do this (if you will be driving on road) as that HID lights take time to warm up, and would be very inefficient for turning them on/off quickly for oncoming traffic. Not to mention expensive! A good set of Phillips/Osram ballasts with harness and capsules will run you over $600. Even then you have to worry about the heat since the housing isn't made for the temp. in that area

sorry to bust your bubble

not to be a d**k or anything, but porsche/bmw/benz owners seem to get by just fine with their bi-xenons.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Do they have dual HIDs? I know that my moms 330ci only has the low beams. If they do, I appologise for misinformation, but I have no idea how it would work. If you have noticed with our headlights there is a definate "warm up" period. The lights go through a few different colors from when you turn them on to when they are fully warm. The different colors are different temperatures of the burning gasses on the inside of the capsule. The lights are actually quite dim for at least 30 seconds when you turn them on, untill they reach about 4000 kelvin, which is when the emission is just below the equivilant color of daylight.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
taken from coolheadlights.com:

The reason HID is not a good choice for high beams is because they take over a minute to heat up or come on full power so you would loose the ability to “flash to pass” or just flick on your high beams for a dark corner. The only new cars that come with HID high beams use a system like our HI-LO kit that only has one bulb and in some way alters the angle of the light to shine it higher. So if your car uses 9005 for low beams and 9006 for high beams just buy the low beam in HID and buy a set of high end bulbs for your high beams like our Polargs or Raybrigs. That will match nicely….

·
Registered
581 Posts
I adjusted my low beams so that the lowest setting is the factory highest setting. Now if I crank them up all the way, they are almost as high as the highbeams :) It's just a little screw in there when you look down from the top.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I adjusted them with a brick wall about 6 feet away, I think it would have done me some good to back off that wall maybe 20 feet or so to see the difference. I had no idea the amount of change I was making!

At the lowest level I still hit some side mirrors of other drivers, but just barely when I am in close proximity.

I feel like it's one of the best free modifications you can do, very cool that we have adjustable headlights on the fly - very versatile.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The reason they get away with this is becuase they are still using a single light source for both hi and low beam.
hopefully this image posts if not copy and paste it and you can see

robertaflack said:
not to be a d**k or anything, but porsche/bmw/benz owners seem to get by just fine with their bi-xenons.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
using seperate HID as highbeam is a bad idea.. if you REALLY want highbeam HID, get yourself a bixenon projectors from MB, BMW or TL and swap them out with your stock STI projectors.. i used to have one on my accord and it was pretty bright having 2 sets of high beams :) all the Bixenon does is flip the cutoff shield up and down...

·
Registered
695 Posts
FWIW, I had never thought of high-beam HIDs until I rented a 350Z for a week and got used to them. Now I hate not having them - they kick out serious amounts of light, more than my 9011 upgrade does.

If it's do-able, I'd definitely do it if I were you. Either bi-xenon or otherwise.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Anyone have any before and afters of the HIR1 bulbs?

I'm kinda unimpressed with the light output of my 06 coming from a 04 G35C. The lights on that thing were like driving during the day. I'm pretty sure it just had halogens in the high beams, they just had a better reflector.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
wdb said:
Save yourself some aggravation and get a pair of 9011-HIR1 bulbs from www.rallylights.com. They are a direct replacement and make serious amounts of light.
Yeah? for 30 bucks you think it is a pretty good replacement? I have no idea i just am curious if i should do it or not. I am curious if you think it is worth it or not. Are there significant improvements, or just a "eh" type of improvement.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm really pleased with the high beams on the STi. My mom's touareg has HID high beams, and they're not all that great - i prefer my halogen high beams.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
donewithfuess said:
I'm really pleased with the high beams on the STi. My mom's touareg has HID high beams, and they're not all that great - i prefer my halogen high beams.
I agree I think the high-beams are pretty good. I still need to adjust my low beams:p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts