IW STi Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Any updated recommendations for 2014/15 head units? I'm looking to replace the crappy radio in my '15 STI.

I want good iPhone connectivity, Bluetooth, keep my USB port in the console (this requires a rear aux in on the HU). If I can use Google Maps/Waze/Apple maps from the phone that would be a plus to avoid spending more for a nav HU.

Since I use an iPhone I'm definitely interested in CarPlay and I know Pioneer is going to update their NEX radios for CarPlay but I really want to see how their radios take the Carplay updates and how well they work with it before committing to any of them.

Are there any other manufacturers I should look at that offer good iPhone connectivity and app support?

·
Registered
143 Posts
^My question exactly. I would love to #1, be able to use Apple CarPlay and be able to have Google Maps/Waze(which is a great app, by the way)/Apple Maps displayed right there instead of having to look down at my phone and look like the rest of the texting-and-driving pukes. :D #2, I want to be able to toggle between gauges as well. AFR, Boost, Oil Pressure, Oil Temperature, etc etc etc. Are there any head-units out there that fit that description?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Pioneer NEX CarPlay update was released a week or two ago. It's not perfect, but it is definitely a big improvement over any phone-car interface I've used before and I'm happy with my decision to get HU that supports it. Waze also works on the HU thru Pioneer's AppRadio mode, but that involves wiring USB + HDMI to a special adapter, and I've found AppRadio to be a clunky, crash-prone interface with frequent crashes and resolution issues (like black borders around the apps and some apps putting buttons you need off the edge of the screen). CarPlay is much more usable and hopefully it'll get more app compatibility as it sees a wider-scale release.

I bought all my stuff from Crutchfield, but I did play with the HU at the local big box shop to get a feel for it before ordering. The guys there were pretty excited about CarPlay, so you can probably go check it out for yourself at the store.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
http://shop.sonicelectronix.com/clarion-nx404/?affiliate=googadw&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=0_-_Promotion_+_Campaign&gclid=CMbT4oD7s8ECFYSPMgodTDkAWQ

Clarion NX404. My personal choice.

Right now its on sale for $411. I ordered mine through sonic too and you get all the mounting hardware for free including the bezel! For $411.00 you can beat this deal imo.

Pick up this Amazon.com : Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface : Vehicle Audio Video Accessories And Parts : Car Electronics
So you can program your steering wheel controls.

So far the unit is amazing, does everything I could ever want. The GPS signal is amazing and the interface is user friendly and easy to navigate. It integrates flawlessly with my Galaxy S3 and LG G2 android phones.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Bumping this instead of starting a new thread. I'm looking to replace the AVIC-Z120BT in my car with something newer and more iPhone friendly. Torn between one of the lower end NEX units and the AppRadio 3 or 4.

Also, I saw someone ask a question about tying in gauges. Has anyone found this to be possible with any units?

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Bumping this instead of starting a new thread. I'm looking to replace the AVIC-Z120BT in my car with something newer and more iPhone friendly. Torn between one of the lower end NEX units and the AppRadio 3 or 4.

Also, I saw someone ask a question about tying in gauges. Has anyone found this to be possible with any units?
I use the pioneer 8000nex with a Samsung note 3.

Digital gauges are possible through an app called Dashcommand.

I have rooted my phone to enable full screen mirroring,

so I am unaware of iphone functionality with carplay/dashcommand,

but i remember reading that it worked better than appradio app (android equivalent to carplay app), not to be confused with the Appradio headunit (there is both an app called appradio, and a headunit called appradio).

·
Registered
104 Posts
I use the pioneer 8000nex with a Samsung note 3.

Digital gauges are possible through an app called Dashcommand.

I have rooted my phone to enable full screen mirroring,

so I am unaware of iphone functionality with carplay/dashcommand,

but i remember reading that it worked better than appradio app (android equivalent to carplay app), not to be confused with the Appradio headunit (there is both an app called appradio, and a headunit called appradio).
Thanks. I ended up ordering the 4000NEX on sale from Crutchfield and I'll be doing the CarPlay + DashCommand setup.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Since my stock head unit is a POS now im really interested in this thread. So i guess im in the market as well for a new head unit. I dont really know much about this stuff but whats car play? Am i able to get a plug and play wiring harness install most of these head units into my 11 sti? Also what does everyone usally get/ look for when buying a new head unit? Sorry for thread jacking lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bump for where to get the JDM trim???

where did you get the JDM trim and how much?

sorry for the dump question... but i just started lookin at the 12 STi... what steering wheel control buttons are available for those without oem navi? can those be prograrm to work with aftermark navi units like urs? i would just look at one but none of my local dealership have one.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts