IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been out of the stereo game for quite awhile, so I'm looking for some info/help.

I want to stick with the double din style head unit. In-dash nav seems to be really pricey, so its not a requirment, but I would like the option to use my android-based phone with the head unit for GPS. Any decks out there compatible with Microsoft's Zune?

It doesn't need to be real expensive or fancy as I dont see myself right now going all out with the stereo on this car. I'll probably keep it as simple as a head unit and a sub/amp later on.

Any help?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you installed it yet? From the pics it looks like it doesnt sit flush:confused:

Looks nice though, and I like the price on it. I might have to email them about the android compatibility since it mentions GPS using the iphone.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's the difference in the JDM panel?

I found a Pioneer AVIC x930bt that I'll probably be picking up tonight.

Also, where's the best/cheapest place to get the jumper harness?

·
Premium Member
5,065 Posts
What's the difference in the JDM panel?

I found a Pioneer AVIC x930bt that I'll probably be picking up tonight.

Also, where's the best/cheapest place to get the jumper harness?
Got mine for $20.00 at a local audio shop, and the spliced in all my wires very nicely for an extra $10. It's actually a Nissan harness, which I found interesting and amusing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got mine for $20.00 at a local audio shop, and the spliced in all my wires very nicely for an extra $10. It's actually a Nissan harness, which I found interesting and amusing.

Alot cheaper than I expected. Thanks.

Did you use the JDM panel? Trying to find some pictures and figure out why some people are recommending it.

·
Premium Member
5,065 Posts
Alot cheaper than I expected. Thanks.

Did you use the JDM panel? Trying to find some pictures and figure out why some people are recommending it.
I don't have the same year as you, I assume they use the JDM panel if the feel like there is too much gap around the HU. That bring said, it should be a direct swap. If you don't like the fitment, you can always order the JDM panel down the road.

Also, don't pay someone to do this :lol: its very easy. All you need is the harness hooked up, and even that you can do with with the right materials. It's all color coded plug and play.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have the same year as you, I assume they use the JDM panel if the feel like there is too much gap around the HU. That bring said, it should be a direct swap. If you don't like the fitment, you can always order the JDM panel down the road.

Also, don't pay someone to do this :lol: its very easy. All you need is the harness hooked up, and even that you can do with with the right materials. It's all color coded plug and play.

I've installed a few stereos (just never in a subie). I figure the hardest part will be figuring out how to get the stock deck out:tdown:

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if I want to spend the extra $100+ for that panel right now.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The oem hu is oversized and not a true standard double din. You can either one of those fillers to fill in the gap, or buy the jdm trim which is sized to the spec of a true double din and not need a filler around your aftermarket hu.

Most people go with the jdm because it looks the cleanest.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The oem hu is oversized and not a true standard double din. You can either one of those fillers to fill in the gap, or buy the jdm trim which is sized to the spec of a true double din and not need a filler around your aftermarket hu.

Most people go with the jdm because it looks the cleanest.

any pictures? I've found quite a few of the JDM pandel, but not of the standard issue one with a deck in it:p

i'm curious to see how "bad" it looks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ended up getting a pioneer avic f700bt along with the jdm panel.

Going to order a metra axxess steering wheel control to install as well.

After that, everything should work just as OEM correct?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

ok, cool.

the only concern i had was that maybe the aux plug in the center console may not work or feed in to the new HU.

i'm not sure if i'll use the aux plug on the front or the one in the center console so i wanted to make sure both options worked (along with the usb port).

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got it all hooked up and seems to work fine. But what are these "leftover" plugs for? FWIW, i haven't picked up the steering wheel control module yet.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
At a younger age... I use to be a real car audio audiophile wanna be... so of course, I've always tried to maintain a certain aftermarket sound quality in my main car...

I won't even get in "Home theatre room" as that is just a "NON FRUGAL EXPENSE" right there for myself :rolleyes: :lol:

For now.. I have the Pioneer AVIC-U310BT that comes with the Canadian Sport-tech/Limited model with just the OEM Subaru under-seat subwoofer... And for the record.. is by no means to get excited about but would grade it as "barely squeezing in as acceptable"

All that to say that I myself am as well debating with upgrading Head unit/2 way component kit/Sub or bass tubes ... And yes, all that weight that comes with all the goodness :rolleyes:

Anyways... from experience.. just dynamating your doors will really change your OEM sound quality.. that's a given

Here's what I'm looking at for Head units as Pioneer being the clear winner over Kenwood... the specs speak for themselves :cool: + integration in our cars are relatively easy seeing as adapters can be easily purchase to facilitate the task... In my case... is already present and plug N' play

AVIC-Z130BT - Flagship In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with DVD Playback, Built-In Bluetooth®, and 7" WVGA Touchscreen Display | Pioneer Electronics USA

The Canadian website version of the Kenwood seems to be better to view specs BTW...

Kenwood - DNX9980HD

I don't know about the NAV satellite up-link speed or the GPS user-friendly quality about the Kenwood.. But I've had the chance to experience a lot of stand-alone GPS units as I have a delivery devision under the umbrella of my corporation...

And the Pioneer simply crushes all I've seen in automotive ... ( I hate Garmin / TomTom )

The best GPS technology I've touched in the last 15yrs for the record is Lowrance...
Which is a marine model on my bassboat and a outdoors model on one of my Quads

HDS® High Definition System

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I think I know what the smaller plug was for. I think it might have been for the aux-in line in the center console.. atleast from what I've read that's what it's for. Still not sure on the smaller black plug with blue wire.

Is there any sort of adapter to regain use of the aux-in, in the center console?

·
Registered
125 Posts
where did you get the JDM trim and how much?

sorry for the dump question... but i just started lookin at the 12 STi... what steering wheel control buttons are available for those without oem navi? can those be prograrm to work with aftermark navi units like urs? i would just look at one but none of my local dealership have one.

Here's my Pioneer AVIC x920BT:

I like it and have been quite happy with the purchase. Make sure you get the JDM trim panel so it doesn't look ugly.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts