IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think about those HDD systems? One of my coworkers had it installed in her car, and you can upload up to 2000 songs either via CD or pen drive! Who needs XM radio? :wink:

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm thinking of getting that Sony one with the 10gig hard drive and 8x cd ripper.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the one my coworker has :) The faceplate is really nice, it's got a blueish mirror tint. Also she said you could load screensavers but I'm not sure what good that's for.

It's pretty expensive, $999 (down from $1400! :eek: )

A link to the system is here

·
Registered
858 Posts
it's lame. been watching that sony HD1 system for a couple years now. i actually wanted the 5DX, the one with a full faceplacte that can run screensavers.

but the unit was junk. it felt like 2 cent piece intead of more sturdier and stronger pieces.

if MP3s are your thing, go for it. but you will end up ripping each cd into it or buy the stupidly expensive memory stick by sony. and it's not just the regular stick, it has to be the MUSIC GATE one.

sony mobile electronics these days are crap. sony sold out and dumped the MOBILE ES line. now, they are just another mobile car stereo seller... :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
WASTE...$1K for an $80 HD in a $300 stereo. Get a nice dotmatrix HU..then get a 12disk MP3 changer. I got the JVC HU and changer and love it. It only cost me 250 for HU and 180 for the changer. I cannot get it to skip and access is very fast. It can hold 12CDs*700MB each of Mp3s!!!! This setup takes up a little more room, but it also doesn't temp a stereo theif to easy pick your $1K HU.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yea I wouldnt buy it for 1k, I think I can get it for half that.

I may just get the MP80 instead.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Re: Daytime Running Lights?

What a shame, MObile ES was excellent. and u rite new Sony units r trash...
Alpine is way to go..

ldivinag said:
it's lame. been watching that sony HD1 system for a couple years now. i actually wanted the 5DX, the one with a full faceplacte that can run screensavers.

but the unit was junk. it felt like 2 cent piece intead of more sturdier and stronger pieces.

if MP3s are your thing, go for it. but you will end up ripping each cd into it or buy the stupidly expensive memory stick by sony. and it's not just the regular stick, it has to be the MUSIC GATE one.

sony mobile electronics these days are ****. sony sold out and dumped the MOBILE ES line. now, they are just another mobile car stereo seller... :(

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Even when Mobile ES was out, it wasn't the best you could buy, but at least Sony wasn't at the bottom, either.

I'd recommend Pioneer, Alpine, or Kenwood.

Kenwood's Music Keg is a great alternative. Just get a Kenwood deck that the MK will connect to (I think they're all compatible, now) and you can even get the Keg later. It's smaller than any CD changer, and I think it can be mounted flat or vertically, too. :D

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, thanks guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts