IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2006 Sti and something I’ve noticed these past few weeks is that when I’m in acceleration the body/frame/shell, however you want to put it, seems to almost twist or torque with a creaking sound almost coming from my rear doors. Any ideas? Thoughts? Or fixes?

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
That's unusual. The GD chassis is pretty decent for street use. I would check the rear diff sub-frame assembly. Are you the original owner? If not, it may have aftermarket bushings or bolts added that are just worn or in need of some lube.

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts
2006 Sti . . . in acceleration the body/frame/shell, however you want to put it, seems to almost twist or torque with a creaking sound almost coming from my rear doors. Any ideas? Thoughts? Or fixes?
Your full description leads in two directions. KB went the other and that's from the twist/ torque/creaking.

I would start with moving parts. Could be anything in rear suspension - but . . . you rear top hats are basically inside with you. I'd start there. There is one one each side "by the rear doors".

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
We have no history on the car, mileage or how it's been used/abused or what kind of torque you're making. You could have something coming unwelded, horrible rust cancer or like what others have suggested, something as simple as a noisy bushing or something loose.
Might even be the pitch stop or its chassis bracket. Certain WRX pitch stop, firewall brackets are notorious for breaking their spot welds and could make a creak sound on acceleration.

To the "smart guys" that have commented, I thought that GD's were notorious for body flex! Who doesn't put a strut tower brace in their GD? Who, if they race, doesn't put an X brace in for the rear shock towers?

Saying that, I have what I'd call a placebo Perrin front brace in my DD. This car makes 390 torque and has made a lot of laps around Watkins Glen. Though not super quiet (it is legal) I can't recall ever hearing any unusual sounds coming from the chassis or suspension.
I'd try and isolate where the sound is coming from. Moving your phone around in the car while recording sound or use a mike and video camera.

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts
No braces here - not that my car couldn't use or deserve em . . . still late on the list - if the car were newish they'd already have been on it - along with Girodiscs

·
Registered
13,115 Posts
Have the struts been replaced? IITC, back in the day the tops of the struts would scrape the grease off the shaft and would cause "sticking". You might be hearing the struts sticking and squeaking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts