IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping some of you have gone through this before and could answer a few questions...

Long story short, I have lost both my 2nd ignition key and valet key while moving (I'm assuming that's when it was) I don't know for sure but they were both on the same key ring and I have literally torn my house apart looking for it for the last 2 weeks!

I know what its going to cost but I have do go ahead and get new keys cut and re programed. Hoping you guys could answer a few questions before I make the trip to the dealer

my biggest concern is the custom tune on my ecu. Will that in anyway be effected by the programing of the 2 new keys?

does my current key need to also be reprogrammed with the new keys?

does the ecu even have anything to do with the key programing or is it all within the immobilizer unit?

I know very few of you if any have had this done but I'm hoping their is a Subaru tech on iwsti or someone that may know the answers to my questions.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Having just converted one of my keys to the flip style, I think I understand the dealio.

Key fobs are generic and can easily be programmed to your vehicle, that part is easy for anyone to do.

The difficult (ie. expensive) part is that you need a new transponder that is married to the 'black box' (by means of VIN I would presume) and only the dealer can order this for you.

What I would do if I were you is order a laser shell (flip style) for $25, get this key cut to match yours for $25ish at a local locksmith, the matching Legacy key fob for $60 and then have the dealer order you a new valet key that you can steal the transponder from. This will likely be cheaper and you'll get the nice flip key as an added benefit.

I can send you links and any other info you might need for the above, but it is really, really easy as one of the members here and/or NASIOC put together a great tutorial/pictorial and sells the aforementioned parts.

None of the above should have anything to do with the ECU as you don't even really have to turn on the car to do any of the things I mentioned above.

Good luck!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I had to get a new key fob & reprogram it. The key fob was like $70 & the programming was easy. Dealer was going to charge me $20 to program it but I found a DIY online & did it real quick. Idk about getting a new key though.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm was in a similar situation as you, only had a single key and my fob broke

Key fob programming:

1. Get in vehicle and cycle key to the "ON" position 10 times withing 15 seconds, meaning pretty quickly. You will hear a beep or the horn will sound. (NOTE: Sometimes you have to turn it 11 times)

2. Open and close the drivers side door.

3. Press one of the buttons on the remote

4. Open and close the drivers side door.

5. **If you have other remotes, repeat steps 3 and 4 for all other remotes

6. Remove key from ignition, you should hear a beep/honk that the reprogramming has ended

7. Test remote(s)

They key itself I had to have the dealer program. Cost me 60 fricken bucks to watch them sit around for almost an hour before finally getting around to taking 10 mins to program it. Garbage!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Around step 3, you have to enter the new key fob number via the lock/unlock button. There is an 8 digit number assigned to each fob and you have to tell the car what it is.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the replies!

I'm actually talking about the physical keys with the chips in them not the fob's that need to be programed by the dealer

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wanted a duplicate key and the dealer quoted me $290. Then I found a cheap Locksmith in Miami that does car keys and he wanted $76 for a plain key or $152 for one with the remote locking on it. I purchased the plain key since I already had the key with the remote on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts