IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I installed my Perrin Equal Length headers today. I put everything back together correctly. Reset my ECU, started up the car and went for a drive. It seemed to run fine, but then it started having idle issues and then would just die on me. Now it wouldn't die everytime, but it would do it every few times I come to a stop cruising out of throttle. I would watch my wideband and notice that it is running very rich at partial throttle, and then get way rich when I try to go WOT. I'm running a SZ55, with Perrin FMIC, PE 850 injectors, Perrin inlet, Perrin BigMAF, full catless exhaust, Cobb protuned, AVCR boost controller, Walbro fuelpump. I was thinking that maybe my front 02 sensor might have been damaged, but I used the correct socket with a slit for the wire so I find it hard to believe it was damaged. Anybody else have an opinions or ideas. Everything is really tight and bolted up right without any leaks.

·
Registered
8,772 Posts
its because your car is asking for its boxer rumble back ;)

but seriously, my guess would be o2 sensor.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
LOL! Whats scary is since its doing this dying stuff on me its hard to hear it running. That's how quiet these headers are at idle. I was thinking though that if it was the sensor then shouldn't the car throw a CEL?

·
Registered
178 Posts
It maybe could of affected your tune. With the new headers you are gonna wanna get a retune any way . Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, well I guess I had a boost leak. The doesn't die now at idle, but it is still running slightly richer than normal. I don't know if this is normal or not. Plus I think there maybe a slight exhaust leak that I'll have to attend to when I get the chance.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Did you tighten the header from the upipe side first , from what i have seen this helps ensure a proper seal. The header side of the upipe first.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds good. I'll try that tonight because I now have a leak between the header and the gasket on the passenger side.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I might order the header this weekend, definately let us know what the problem was.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
electronblur said:
I might order the header this weekend, definately let us know what the problem was.
Hold off an ordering, I might have one forsale...LOL!

Well the car seems to run fine now. I had a leak that I'm pretty sure that I fixed. I looked under the car and didn't see any signs of exhaust leakage, but now there is something else wrong :banghead:. There is some rattle sound that seems to be coming from the turbo/exhaust area on the passenger side that seems to vary with the throttle. At around 2000 rpms it gets really loud and buzzy and its freaking annoying! I've checked over every gasket, nut and bolt that I can think of with out finding anything wrong. Anyone else have any ideas??

·
Registered
665 Posts
So I guess you found some leaks.:D Jason I would check your uppipe and see if the heat shield is still in place, the welds might have broken.;)

Regards,

Ron

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
ninjaboy76 said:
Hold off an ordering, I might have one forsale...LOL!

Well the car seems to run fine now. I did had a leak that I'm pretty sure that I fixed. I looked under the car and didn't see any signs of exhaust leakage, but now there is something else wrong :banghead:. There is some rattle sound that seems to be coming from the turbo/exhaust area on the passenger side that seems to vary with the throttle. At around 2000 rpms it gets really loud and buzzy and its freaking annoying! I've checked over every gasket, nut and bolt that I can think of with out finding anything wrong. Anyone else have any ideas??
my guess is the flanges arent decked completely flat and causes the bad seal even with a new gasket.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was thinking it might be the heat shield as well. I'll make sure to mention that to my local shop when I drop here off today for them to looker her over. If all else fails the stocker will go back on. Doug will be here tomorrow and I can't keep messing with this thing any longer.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I finally got it fixed! The heat shield on the uppipe was cracked off, so I had to have it spot welded. Now I just hope it holds.

·
Registered
665 Posts
ninjaboy76 said:
Well I finally got it fixed! The heat shield on the uppipe was cracked off, so I had to have it spot welded. Now I just hope it holds.
Hahaha! If it doesn't hold, just yank it off of the car.:lol:

Ron

·
Registered
821 Posts
How do you like the sound?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts