IW STi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i keep hearing different views on this and want the right answer. When ever you're sitting at a stop light or whatnot, are you wasting clutch by having it in gear with clutch pressed down for long time? or is it same as having it in neutral with clutch out?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
im interested in knowing this too, because i always leave it in neutral...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Yeah, I wanna know the answer also. I would like to add a question is "riding the clutch" is it bad?

·
Registered
22 Posts
You put more wear on the throwout bearing, but the clutch is only very lightly touching the flywheel or pressure plate.

Leaving it in neutral with the clutch out wears nothing.

·
Registered
375 Posts
No, it's not going to cause wear.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
corey_dyck said:
You put more wear on the throwout bearing, but the clutch is only very lightly touching the flywheel or pressure plate.

Leaving it in neutral with the clutch out wears nothing.
so.. anyone have definite answer to this? im hearing both sides

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's a minor point. The throwout bearing is spinning under load when the clutch is in and is spinning under no load when the clutch is out. Of course it will wear more when the clutch is in. But, is that wear going to be terrible? That throwout bearing only has to last until you replace your clutch, then you usually replace the throwout bearing too for cheap insurance against failure.

I put the car in neutral and sit with the clutch out at lights. Once I see the lights on the cross street changing, I put the clutch in and sit in 1st gear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts