IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
What is really funny is that I was at the mechanic today and he told me about a WRX that came in on a flatbed that stalled after driving around in a rain storm. They began looking at and discovered that the motor was filled with water. They opened the oil plug and water came out and then the oil followed. Wierd huh? This perplexed them until they discovered a cold air intake in the fender which had sucked the water into the engine. Had this women (yes a women!) tried to restart her vehicle after it stalled, she would have severely damaged her engine. Since she did not and the motor had only stalled and not turned over, they flushed the system several times, added new oil, and it ran good as new. Beware of the danger of a cold air intake, however unlikely that might be for you. This occurred in a desert area where it remains no more than 14 days a year.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
lol wierd story, so where did the rain come from? did it just rain once and presto filled with water?

Robert~

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
A friend of mine has a CAI on his car and living in OR, sees a lot of rain. Never had any problems. I think something besides normal driving happened to her car.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I do not know how it precisely happened, but the mechanic was just as surprised as you and I. I know that it was hard to believe unless you were there, but I hardly believe that this guy was making it up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just got my Blue'n'silver last night!

i had a cold air intake on my lude, and yes, that has happen to me before. COuple years ago driving home after having been to h.i.n it was raining pretty hard, and there was this puddle i had to get through and right when i was in the middle the car just shut the hell off. Me and mah friend had to get out and push the car out of the road and into a gas station, and all of this from my cold air intake. Of course my car was lowered two inches and that didnt help. :lol:

·
Registered
289 Posts
My friend had a 2000 Jetta with an AEM CAI without the cool bypass valve. It sucked up some water into the engine while trying to look cool in a puddle that was a little too deep. He snapped three out of six connecting rods. Remember water does not compress like air does. The water went in and filled up the ignition chamber and when the cylinder tried to make its way back up on the up-stroke there was a little water in the way. Well needless to say the connecting rods snapped before the water could go anywhere. Luckily the insurance totalled it under flood damage. He was really pissed when I came up to get him and just floored it through the same puddle with the SUV I had at the time.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
If I understand correctly, CAI's are useless for turbos with intercoolers anyway and you may as well get a short ram which will eliminate probably all of the risk of getting water into the engine. I doubt there is much more, if any, risk with a short ram than with the stock filter.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
whitewhale2070 said:
i installed an arc intakes... makes mine took off and sound like a jet... :D
by "intakes" do you mean the ARC Induction Box like this one?

I really want to buy one of these for my STi along with the ZeroSports intake pipe, wanted to get your opinion on it.

-Matt

1 - 14 of 14 Posts