·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts
So whats the baseline????

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dan-
Very cool Buttonwillow must of been awesome can't wait to see the pics and review.

I see you are in Torrance. Do you ever hang out at the Starbucks on 190th and Anza. I know that there is Subie meet there sometimes and every other Thursday there is a S2000 meet and as of late a lot of the Subie guys have been there with us S2k guys. I d love to see this car in person. :wave:

- Took it to Buttonwillow raceway on Sunday (pics and review coming)
- Baseline dyno pulls
- New wheels!
- Brake upgrades
- Plan of action

This car kicks ass :banana:

- Dan

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
rears seem to poke a little more that the fronts.

But I'm sure with a performance alignment it'll work out. So far so amazing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
holy cow, those wheels look sharp. How would those look on the dark gray metallic I wonder??? Would any photoshop master out there be willing to show me??:D

19 inch wheels eh? interesting

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
oh ****! I wish I had that type of clearance on my 07 sti... I'd love to rock 275 or 285s all around inside the fender.
Same here, the tires on my SP1s are the same size as the 08 STI stock tires.

·
Banned
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
The track was great. Here are some initial driving impressions - I'll post up some more in a bit.

The Good:
- For a stock vehicle, I thought the handling was very good. Didn't push too much and the differentials seem to work very well.
- Rear suspension feels much improved. The Riverside turn at Buttonwillow is a high speed long corner w/ a little camber. The older STIs tend to feel a bit nervous through this section, but the 08 felt very solid
- The tires worked pretty well, the extra 10mm can't hurt
- Steering wheel moves in and out (not just up and down), so I found a very comfortable driving position (when I could stay in the seat!)
- There is a ton of suspension travel. Makes it very difficult to upset the car.

The Bad:
- The brakes suck. Totally cooked in the first session, had to bleed them after only 8 laps. Had a spongy pedal the rest of the day and no braking power - boo.
- VDC sucks. I think this may be why the brakes went out so fast. I left it on during the first session and could feel in pulsing the brakes when there was some slip. Fortunatley, you can turn it off easily.
- The seats are terrible for track use. I spent most of the day in the door pocket and/or center console... then again I'm not a big guy. Seats will need to be changed.
- Accelerator pedal placement makes it difficult to heel/toe. :(

The Rest:
- This car doesn't have much power in stock form, at least with what I'm used to driving at the track. It ran decently smooth and pulled out of corners well. It feels like there is more low end power than in earlier stock models.
- I got ~6mpg :)
- Obviously this car is bone stock, and that means there was some understeer, tons of body roll (suspension is much softer than previous years, but grip is still in line), and lack of power.
- Had a nice back and forth w/ a stock NISMO 350Z and a Porsche Boxster w/ some Hoosiers on it. Everything else waxed my ass (advanced group). :lol:

- Dan

81 - 100 of 250 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.