IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hit the rev limiter

I would be interested in hearing various feedback / opinions on driving the STi near the limits of ITS abilities...

I feel like I am driving the car well. Always attempting to be smooth, always trying to not cause anything sudden to happen during manuevers ( shifting of suspension loading, throttle control, etc).

BUT, it seems to my non-professional drivers butt that it will be difficult to predict exactly how the suspension will work in any given random situation when pushed hard. I am not saying the car does not handle GREAT. It does. It just seems like the ACTIVE portion of the suspension is active in ways I may or may not be able to anticipate.

I have experienced significant rear wheel steering when I didn't necessarily anticipate it, I have experienced verying degrees of induced over / under steer by varying corner speed some expected / desired but a couple of times it didn't seem to work quite right.

Any tips that anyone can provide to help me understand what the car will tend to do in a given situation would be appreciated. The car is what it is, I just want to be able to better "think" like it does.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
dcgray2 said:
I would be interested in hearing various feedback / opinions on driving the STi near the limits of ITS abilities...

I feel like I am driving the car well. Always attempting to be smooth, always trying to not cause anything sudden to happen during manuevers ( shifting of suspension loading, throttle control, etc).

BUT, it seems to my non-professional drivers butt that it will be difficult to predict exactly how the suspension will work in any given random situation when pushed hard. I am not saying the car does not handle GREAT. It does. It just seems like the ACTIVE portion of the suspension is active in ways I may or may not be able to anticipate.

I have experienced significant rear wheel steering when I didn't necessarily anticipate it, I have experienced verying degrees of induced over / under steer by varying corner speed some expected / desired but a couple of times it didn't seem to work quite right.

Any tips that anyone can provide to help me understand what the car will tend to do in a given situation would be appreciated. The car is what it is, I just want to be able to better "think" like it does.
Take it up to beaverun for some classes man! : ) I'm heading up there for a winter driving course and I get to drive the STi. They have a bunch of different classes. Really, to figure out where the limit is, you need to reach it or pass it. The best way to do that is in a controlled environment like a racetrack and/or under the expertise of an instructor.

http://www.beaverun.com

-st

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Singletrack is absolutely correct. A school will let you learn the quickest and most safely. If you cannot get to a school and you live where it snows, you can get the same experience on a large slippery parking lot. the limits of adhesion are the same, but the speeds can be much lower and you will have fewer objects to maneuver around.

From your comments it sounds like you have experienced all of this but cannt yet determine when the car will do which. i can only say that this comes with time and experience. Grip conditions as well as engine rpm and driving style have such a huge impact on how the car behaves that no one can tell you what the car will do at any time. You will need to have the seat time and driving style that will give you the most predictable resuls. I think you are mostly there by knowing the general tendencies of the car, now you just need more time to be able to predic those tendencies.

On this topic, I was out just Friday night with two EVO's on some gravel covered tarmac roads (very twisty and narrow back country roads nea Springville and Ellicottville NY) and the STi absolutely ate them alive. The extra power I have from the EBC and turbo back would run up on them in the straights and the handling of the STi was only ever so slightly slower in the turns that driver skill had much more to do with it than the car. One driver has tracked the EVO at Watkins Glen twice this summer and has had his other cars there many times. he was alsothe one that chose the route so was vastly more prepared for the turns than I, but since I was following him, I could tell that I was all over hisbumper in every turn and on the straights. I would have liked to trade cars with the one EVO driver and go back at it, but that is a bit much to ask of anyone. We are planning it again. PM me if you want to make the drive up from Pittsburgh to have some fun with us. :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
He probably means the differentials. They do some funky stuff sometimes. Ditto what everyone else has said.

I'd add, if you get track time, definitely find a track that has a skidpad. That's the easiest way to find how the car handles at & over the limit.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
RDiamond said:
He probably means the differentials.
i thought maybe so, but that's certainly not the suspension. no matter. if differential is what he meant, then i suggest he run the center diff in manual and see if that makes things more predictable (i usually drive with mine in manual; just wish the car would remember that between starts). but then again, it may not make a difference to him; that front diff still freaks me out at times.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
agent.STi said:
We just added an interim report on the STi to our web site:
SGP Testing Notes on the STi
You might be interested.
Thanks for the link. Great documentation. Kudos to the author—very easy to read and understand. Keep up the great work.
Thank you very much. We will renew the link after our VIR testing in Dec. In the mean time, I am crossing my fingers for no snow :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
4MLA1FN, you hit that one right on the nose, with the dccd in auto, if you get on and off the throttle in a corner, you can really feel the power being shifted back and forth between front and rear. locking the diff would probably make things a bit more manageable for dcgray2. i'll never forget how strange that felt the first time i took the car out on hwy 1, then i flipped the switch, and voila!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts