IW STi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pissed. I just bought new tires and I was planning on getting at least another 8k miles out of them (stock re070s).

I noticed my car had started pulling slightly to the left for the last couple days, but I just rotated my tires, which were wearing a little unevenly, and I assumed the pulling was caused by the rotation and I just needed to even out the wear. Nope. I started to hear an unusual noise, almost like the sound a strut makes when the piston moves back and forth. It was actually because I had a flat tire.

Yesterday I noticed my tire appeared a little low, and found a freaking screw. This is my...8th flat tire? In 6 years of driving. I measured the pressure and...6psi. Filled it up, went to BigO, they showed me the damage to the sidewall from my driving probably 200 miles on a flat tire. I didn't notice any change because the sidewalls are soooo stiff. It's like having runflats, although there was some air in the tire.

Sooo, because I'm anal I bought 4 new re050a's (they're on closeout at tirerack for $95) although I prefer S-03s which were JUST on closeout and now they're out of stock. Too bad.

Anyway, moral of the story is check your tire pressure often, re070s will appear inflated until they reach a very low pressure, and then you will damage the sidewall (only visible from interior or tire, there's quite a bit of material missing in a ring shape).

Sparknotes: Ruined stock tire after not realizing it was going flat. Suggest checking tire pressure frequently. $500 mistake.

Positive note: I have 12k miles on stock tires, with very spirited driving. Was on schedule for nearly 20k.

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
not preaching here but tire pressure should be checked as regularly as oil, and that is not every year!!! :lol:

·
Immoderate
5,844 Posts
Sorry to hear about your need for new tires, but I'm also very very interested in hearing your opinion of the RE050a's. I've been eyeballing those and the RE050 Pole Positions as my next set of tires when the factory-issue bowling balls wear out.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, RE070s will not give you the same visual warning that softer sidewall tires will, so checking the pressure is more important. You might lose more than a few bucks from lower gas mileage!

·
Registered
900 Posts
How did you drive 200 miles on a flat tire? Maybe a tire that was low on air, but doing that on a flat tire is un-imaginable. So far I've had my stock tires for 43K, and they still have at least another 'spring-fall' season on them. I swap them out in the winter, but thats only for about 6K miles each year.

·
OT stealth mod
4,368 Posts
re070s have a very stiff sidewall, i drove on mine for awhile with about 15psi.

Only way i noticed is the backend kept getting around on corners, checked the pressure, added air, all was good after that.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wdb said:
Sorry to hear about your need for new tires, but I'm also very very interested in hearing your opinion of the RE050a's. I've been eyeballing those and the RE050 Pole Positions as my next set of tires when the factory-issue bowling balls wear out.
I'll post my opinions when I put them on. They'll be here later this week, hopefully I won't be tempted too much to run on the stockers for much longer....

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DoubleURX said:
How did you drive 200 miles on a flat tire? Maybe a tire that was low on air, but doing that on a flat tire is un-imaginable. So far I've had my stock tires for 43K, and they still have at least another 'spring-fall' season on them. I swap them out in the winter, but thats only for about 6K miles each year.
It wasn't completely flat, pressure was 6psi. And I wasn't driving around with 6 psi for very long. Even at that pressure, it appears drivable, but because of the stiff sidewalls the sidewalls themselves were actually holding a lot of weight. Yup the stock tires last pretty long considering the treadwear rating (which I've decided after about 10 sets of tires are completely useless). 43k is great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.