IW STi Forum banner

141 - 154 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #141 (Edited)
Re: Guardian-X-'s 06' Sti: Compression and leakdown done

Took me long enough but the engine is out ... engine was ready to pull for about 2 months waiting on a hoist i could borrow. Should have just bought one instead but anyway i'm in the process of dissasembling the engine to find out wat went wrong.

Also just found out the clutch was on it's last leg's (almost down to the rivets). A cost i didn't count on but since the engine is out there is no postponing a replacement really. Started reading on what clutch to get and honestly after hundreds of horror story's i'm alot more confused than i was before. Fake exedy's , non fake exedy's with massive clutch shatter and judder, don't resurface flywheel, do resurface flywheel, always replace flywheel, lightweight not lightweight act sucks, act is the best, southbend is the way to go, southbend is rebranded exedy, comp clutch is good, comp clutch judders like crazy stock is good up to 400whp or is it? FOR FUCK SAKE what a impossible amount of different shit story's on all sorts of brands.

Doing some calculations and contemplating other things to adress aswell has got me thinking about wether or not i should drop the entire car ... on the other hand it's the only thing that got me through severe depression for many years and now it's borked + my life isn't getting back on track whatsoever so i don't really know what road to go with anymore. Gave up on trying to find a decent daily and certailny now i'm coming to grips with what this engine overhaul is going to cost. I've been riding my fucking bycicle for like 3-4 months now.

Surpose i blow half my savings getting it back to it's former glory

-If ringland failure what forged pistons? Have a shop do it?
-TGV delete?
-Heads/valves need to be checked. Probably resurface heads and clean valves.
-New head studs
-Entire engine gasket kit if needed is $$$
-Uprated clutch or oem? New flywheel or resurface? 7-800$?
-Gearbox needs 2nd gear syncro i think (cold issue's since 2009 .. very hard to drop back into second coming from 3rd gear when cold or doesn't want to shift back at all to the point you think about putting your other hand on the shifter aswell. Not a single problem when warm) this is a serious problem for me driving to work.
-Remap after engine work? (definatly if doing tgv delete?)
-Need Ecutek Pro ecu kit (car has racerom on it and need a way to log the car and have the tuner remotely modify the tune if need be)
-Secondary air pump is going out ... this is the only thing i'm sure of right now :p
-Subframe is rusting too much for my liking -> needs fixing
-Rear diff axle seal is leaking (already have the parts and oil)
-Rear suspension needs replacing + have STi pinks in the attic for about a year now
-Wheel wells need to be coated in something ... things are bare as f.
-Tires on summer wheels really need replacing
-Turbo intake hose should probably be replaced cause it won't last another few years

I'll update when i now IF piston #4 is actually shot ...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #142 (Edited)
Re: Guardian-X-'s 06' Sti: Engine is out. Disassembly to follow

Fast forward a few months.

Life has been well .. challenging to say the least. It's very hard to get up and actually do something on the car because i've lost faith in pretty much everything lately. for every reasonably good day i have i have 6 bad ones.

But anyway on to the car. Today i finally took out piston #4 looked at it and it hit me like a kick in the nuts. Not a single hairline crack to be found arround the entire piston. Quite a sinking feeling that i may just have put myself into a crap situation for nearly a year just to realise there might not have been any problem with the short block to begin with. Tbh i think i would rather have it cracked so at least i knew that was causing the bad leakdown and blowby.

Forgive the awkward viewing angle and the fact i had the phone straight instead of flat.

piston #4 - YouTube

Might want to use 720p in case you want to actually see something.

I really don't have a clue on what to do next. I Have the money to get the shortblock built and the heads done though i can't justify blowing half my savings on the build because i'm already $5000 into a daily driver i bought after 6 months of not having a car that drives. I could just put the thing back together with just having the heads done and a new clutch and hope it's all fine and dandy or get it all done right at the cost of $4-5000.

Might be a good time to introduce you guy's to the daily driver. It's a 09' Opel (vauxhall) Astra GTC with a 1.6l 115hp petrol engine. It's got 65.000miles on it and not without it's issues but hey it runs and drives and i'm not on a friggin bicycle anymore. To sum up the main issues : Leaky gearbox sump that a previous mechanic surposedly fixed,leak at cam pos sensor,leak somewhere alongside the engine which i hope is the one caused by the sensor. Large ding in driver side door. Exhaust hits the tow hitch. No service history to speak of and first signs indicate it wasn't being as well kept as it should have

Sporting some fake irmsher wheels and very crappy winter tires. Also had to vacuum out what seems as "half a dog" out of the interior and carpets. The dog "fragrance" is even harder to get rid of.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Re: Guardian-X-'s 06' Sti: removed Piston 4# and meet the daily driver

I don't know if it's available where you are but look for a product called "Ozium." It works extremely well at permanently neutralizing odors.

I like the Astra, we had them in the states as a badge-engineered Saturn. fun little car to toss around.

If you already have the money saved for a build and plan to keep the car, I say move forward with it, especially if driving the car brings you joy. Builds are rough, I almost gave up on mine a few times. Now that you have a DD, do your best to look at the STi as a project without a deadline. I drove myself mad trying to have x, y and z done by a certain date and the setbacks just pissed me off. Racecar gets what racecar wants, but in its own time. Sorry to hear about the bad times, best wishes for improvement!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #144 (Edited)

I don't know if it's available where you are but look for a product called "Ozium." It works extremely well at permanently neutralizing odors.

I like the Astra, we had them in the states as a badge-engineered Saturn. fun little car to toss around.

If you already have the money saved for a build and plan to keep the car, I say move forward with it, especially if driving the car brings you joy. Builds are rough, I almost gave up on mine a few times. Now that you have a DD, do your best to look at the STi as a project without a deadline. I drove myself mad trying to have x, y and z done by a certain date and the setbacks just pissed me off. Racecar gets what racecar wants, but in its own time. Sorry to hear about the bad times, best wishes for improvement!
Looked up ozium and doesn't seem to be available in my area .. though it get's some real good reviews i must say. Might look into it (or rent an ozone machine and stuff that in the car for a while)

I googled the saturn astra and it seems they indeed had them in the states (all 1.8l 3doors?) it's a neat little car indeed though seriously lacking in the "grunt" department it's still a decent commuter. The tires that are on now though are really crappy ... whenever it's raining and i corner above grandma speed it makes me feel like that song "slide to left ...slide to the right" :lol: doesn't stay on the road whatsoever. I hope this will be fixed when summer tires come on :p

Thanks for the support ... all i need is a few good things to happen and i'm sure i'll be on my way again though i must say i would like that to happen any time now.

I don't really have money saved specifically for the build. I just have money in the bank but not enough to justify spending half on the car. I thought about selling it numerous times but i'm going to hold on to it at least until summer maybe by then i will have found new courage to actually do something with the car. And if everything goes to shit well i can always sell it. It's still "a" car and in the end i won't put my last penny into it just to keep it.

Btw i started reading your journal and i must have browsed it multiple times cause alot of posts seem familiar :p going to take some time for that this weekend. I must say it's a real nice car/build you got there.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #145 (Edited)

Project is on hold ... been severely depressed for the past few months. I'll update if/when progress will be made.

EDIT: I'll try and focus on gathering information about rebuilding the engine and look and comment on other people's journals. Maybe order some tools here and there. Make up a list of parts,machine shop work and overall what i'm looking at to get the car to the point where i want it to be.

It'l keep my mind off of things.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #146 (Edited)
Re: Guardian-X-'s 06' Sti: On hold.

Won't you believe it i got an "update" or i guess you could say downdate because i just removed more stuff from the car.

Got this dehumidifier in the car too since a few months to keep it dry inside

The rear diff is now out of the car to fix a leak at the d/s axle seal. (see pic) and because i couldn't stand the fact that it looked like a lump of rust so i'm looking into painting it. (i'm not sure how to get a lasting and durable finish though)

Should any of you know something that is absolutely imperative to do while the rear drivetrain is out i would appreciate it. Everything is looking a bit 10yo daily driver down there so i would gladly swap every bushing for new but the budget should go to the motor and not the rear end. So only if i should really change something while the diff is out i'd like to do it now.

Thanks to anyone taking the time reading my journal. It's mostly ranting and bad/depressed/low budget stuff lately sorry for that. I know it's not much but hey ...

·
Super Moderator
10,703 Posts
Re: Guardian-X-'s 06' Sti: Rear diff is out. "Well .. it's something" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pretty soon you will be looking back on this.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

Almost anything you paint the diff with will last longer than the factory coating. However, I would recommend Por15, especially if you're unable to have it sand blasted.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #149

Pretty soon you will be looking back on this.
"Pretty soon" would be very nice. However i'm afraid it might be another year or more until i ever see this car back on the road. But it's going to back one day :p thx for the support.

Almost anything you paint the diff with will last longer than the factory coating. However, I would recommend Por15, especially if you're unable to have it sand blasted.
I could have it blasted but the problem is that i'm afraid of particles getting inside no matter how good i tape things off. A buddy suggested emptying the case and he's all like that's no big deal at all but i'm reluctant ... better safe than sorry and just wirebrush it,epoxy,paint and be done. I'll see if i can get my hands on Por15 i know people who have used it but haven't found it in these area's. Second best is going to be Hammerite if i can't find the por15.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

You can order it... Also, I blasted my diff (stuffed axle holes full of rags then taped) and had no sand in it when I pulled the cover (put Perrin on). So, FYI...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #151 (Edited)

You can order it... Also, I blasted my diff (stuffed axle holes full of rags then taped) and had no sand in it when I pulled the cover (put Perrin on). So, FYI...
The blasting option was a bit difficult to get done right now and i really wanted to do something on the car. So i went out and got 20$ worth of drill wirebrush attachments and went to town on the casing. Came out nice given i spent only 20 minutes on it. Now it needs an etching primer/rust converter and paint. I really want to get Por15 but it's damn hard to find here ... will keep looking.

I am however contemplating on taking the cover off and cleaning/polishing that aswell ... it would need a new gastket but +-13$ isn't that bad and since i'm changing both axle seals aswell i might aswell do the whole thing. What would you guy's do? Then again i should probably change the Vent cap thinghy aswell so as not to ever have to drop the diff again in the next 10 years.

Most of you guy's probably know how rusty these things get but here's a small section where you can see how it used to be. (disregarding the oil leak offcourse)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Hi all.

I've had a nostalgic moment few weeks ago and decided to see what's happening on good 'ol IWSTI. Seems GD section is barely alive. Though it's nice to see at least a user here and there still rocking their GD impreza. I assume activity has either completely moved to social media or that the GD's are getting higher in age thus fewer and fewer enthousiast for it.

About my hawk well ... i still have it! That's all the good news i got. It's been sitting for (2 or 3?) years now. I've been doing my very best to keep it in good condition while sitting. I have dehumidifiers in the interior year round and i wash it every month or 2. I've ordered 350$ worth of nuts and bolts and some other stuff to put the rear drivetrain back together after the rust removal and painting. Wanted new hardware because i hate to see rusty bolts on fresh painted stuff.

Sorry the pictures all went offline ... keeping up the domain and server was costing money and i had no use for it except for the few pictures posted here. I should try to get them back up but yeah i'll see what i can do.

The engine ... well i would love to get it built in germany at subi-performance (check his YT channel this guy does amazing work! The attention to detail and his passion for these engines is awesome) But alas there's no funds and life is still ever going downhill.

I've been on the verge of parting way's with it and maybe will be again when i get the rear drivetrain back in place and all buttoned up. I want the car as close to "perfect" as i can get it before ever selling it. Working on it also breaks my heart so to speak so it's difficult to work on something you know you can't hop in and drive afterwards.

I'll see if i can get some pictures uploaded of the rear drivetrain. Take care everyone.

·
Super Moderator
10,703 Posts
Good and sad to hear your update. Yes, social media seems to have taken the heat out of IWSTI (and the sale of it). Will look forward to seeing images when you post. What's the next project?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #154 (Edited)
Good and sad to hear your update. Yes, social media seems to have taken the heat out of IWSTI (and the sale of it). Will look forward to seeing images when you post. What's the next project?
Thanks. I've been trying IMGUR now cause it's free so i've uploaded some pics. The next project is "trying to keep my head above water" so i'm afraid there's no projects to speak of. Just buttoning up the STi as best as i can and see if i can bring myself to sell it.

Here's the rear subframe. It was by no means rusty like US people get (in the rust belt) but i wanted to stop or at least slow it down. I really wanted the car to last so yeah.

Bought 20$ worth of steel wire drill attachments and flap disc things and went to town.

After scuffing the good paint and removing as much rust as possible. Needless to say for the whole shebang i spent many hours on rust removal and sanding.

Inside was done aswell.

Same for the diff cradle

Sprayed with rust convertor (brunox) the other parts from the rear drivetrain where coated by hand (brush).

You can see the rust conversion starting on what rust that was leftover. Seems to do nothing on the bare metal.

Finally painted with Brantho Korrux (This stuff is used on drilling rigs in the ocean ... if this doesn't hold up i don't know what will)

I could search,resize,upload every single pic from every part but you get the idea ... So here is it all together.

The rear diff was done in Hammerite ... i dind't learn about the Brantho korrux stuff then as it was done a few months earlier. It has new axle oil seals aswell.

I had thought about what to do with the rusty nuts and bolts but reading loads on hydrogen embrittlement from rust removal using acid/chemical baths for rust removal and whatnot. Even with plating afterwards i feared it might be bad for the nuts and bolts so i went with new hardware (300$ worth)

141 - 154 of 154 Posts