IW STi Forum banner

121 - 140 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Re: Guardian-X-'s 06' DD STi Almost 10 years-> Clutch bleeding problems

I had issues with bleeding the clutch too.

This is what I did...
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/4159512-post29.html

It's been a while and so far so good.

If you really want to remove the slave bolts without removing the starter you could use a swivel combination wrench. It basically looks like a normal combo wrench, but on the box end there is a socket that can swing 180º.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #122

It's 2 bolts to remove the starter... I don't understand your hesitation? You're probably not going to be able to get the bolts out far enough without removing..(they are fairly long)
Looked it over and you're right ... should have removed it the second time i had the I/C off. Maybe i was hesitant because the wsm didn't mention a word about removing it in order to remove the clutch piston assembly.

I had issues with bleeding the clutch too.

This is what I did...
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/4159512-post29.html

It's been a while and so far so good.

If you really want to remove the slave bolts without removing the starter you could use a swivel combination wrench. It basically looks like a normal combo wrench, but on the box end there is a socket that can swing 180º.
The bleeder idea looks really good however i don't have a bleeder and also i fear it's going to be tough to get my hands on one (europe->belgium) but still i'm going to keep an eye out for future brake bleeding and whatnot :)

I googled the wrench you are talking about and it looks like a handy tool. Only problem is the back bolt is still going to cause issues with clearance so i'm going to go ahead and pull the starter as it doesn't seem to be any more difficult than all the rest i've done on the car.

Thank you guy's for your input. Hopefully after i bled the system correctly will my clutch be back the way it used to be (on 10 year old fluid :p)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #123

Bit late but hey: I was able to bleed the clutch right this time by removing the starter and following the wsm. Clutch now feels like it should.

Also i flushed my P/S fluid ... bit ashamed to say it was still the original fluid in there :p :scurred: just about 10 year old fluid now. Hopefully i didn't do any harm on the pump or rack by not changing the fluid for a decade .... :tdown:

Used a method i read on another forum by tapping off the return line up top at the reservoir (hardline) and turning the steering wheel end to end with the car off until the fluid coming out was bright red. Flushed wonderfully with no air in the system whatsoever and also a very clean flush. Couldn't be more happy with that method.

I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Next on the to do list should be Whiteline steering rack bushings.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #124 (Edited)
Re: Guardian-X-'s 06' STi ... House got robbed :(

Lowlife scum just robbed my house while we where at work ... i'm absolutely gutted. They took every small thing that was easy enough to grab and carry and had a bit worth. The large stuff like desktop computers and tv's and game console they left ... probably too much to carry. The opened every closet,cupboard and pulled everything out onto the ground ... the place looked like it had been visited by a tornado.

They lifted the rolling shutter in front of the back door and broke the door using a crowbar gaining entry to the entire house.

Stuff they took:
-Jewelry
-Video camera's (including gopro)
-DSLR camera
-GPS systems
-Perfume bottles (armani,diesel,tommy hilfiger ... non familiar brands they left)
-Old cell phones
-Ipod
-External hd drives (these are by far the worst ... every goddamn picture or video i took for the last 15 years ... i have partial backups but the fact they can look at the last 15 years of my life is absolutely sickening)
-Even my fucking underwear cause it had a brand on it ... (diesel,gstar,tommy etc brand)
-Handhelds like nintendo DS etc
-Watches
-500$ in cash
-Netbook
-Laptop

+ all the emotional damage of not feeling safe in your own house anymore ... the pictures .. everything. The thoughts of someone going through your stuff. They left my tools/garage untouched and the car was at work with me.

how can these guy's do this every day like it's some sort of job ... i know i wouldn't be able to sleep knowing i just robbed someone's house and hurt them financially and emotionally ... i hope they slam into a tree one day not living to tell the tale ... fucking scum

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

That sucks man! Sorry to hear that. I'd be super pissed too. I hope the cops find these guys.

·
Super Moderator
10,703 Posts

Sorry to hear.........thieves are the worst scum of the earth.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #128

That sucks man! Sorry to hear that. I'd be super pissed too. I hope the cops find these guys.
Sorry to hear.........thieves are the worst scum of the earth.
Agreed. Feel like the Old Testament had it right when we should be cutting off the hands of thieves...
thx for the support guy's.

To get back to the car again ... there is a worrying noise for the past few weeks/months that i really need to figure out what the cause is. I've got a thread up here to gain more thoughts from other people on what it could be. Going to do a compression test tomorrow
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-liter-litre-factory-motor/288006-engine-noise-faint-ticking-rattle-rpm-dependent-who-can-help-me-troubleshoot.html#post4258550

Info on the noise

-Rpm dependent but is drowned out by exhaust/engine noise when above 3-4k
-Barely/not noticable when cold but louder when up to temp
-It is more noticable accelerating from lower rpms.

-Ticking/rattle like noise that is hard to describe ... something like a playcard strapped to a bycicle in between the spokes of the wheel kinda thing

Now i know the first thing people will ask is a video and i have one but i must say i could not recreate or definatly hear that exact noise inside of the car in a no load situation. Also i can't seem to recreate the loud noise it did 2-3 months ago while driving neither.

One thing is for sure ... the car did NOT make a weird noise audible inside of the cabin in my 8 years of ownership.

VIDEO

Also notice the ticking being RPM dependant when the fan kicks in @ 0:55

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Re: Guardian-X-'s 06' STi ... House got robbed :( ,worrying engine noise

Wow man, that really sucks. I hope those scum are caught.

For what it's worth, I didn't hear anything alarming in the video clip you posted. Sounds like a Subaru IMO. You know your car best though, and new noises are always troubling.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #130

Wow man, that really sucks. I hope those scum are caught.

For what it's worth, I didn't hear anything alarming in the video clip you posted. Sounds like a Subaru IMO. You know your car best though, and new noises are always troubling.
Yeah me too man.

Hopefully the noise i hear under load is some rattle that isn't internal engine related. My compressiontester hasn't come in yet ... it's still on back-order. I gotta figure out what the noise is but i simply don't know where to start. I'm going to have to check everything exhaust related to start of with but it can't be past the turbo because i swapped exhausts 2 times and the rattle remains.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #131 (Edited)

Still no compression tester ... ugh why did i have to order one that after payment seems to be BO.

I have a TON of work to do and need an equal amount of money to do everything wat i need to do on the car ... Rust beneath the rear spoiler is a headache right now and then the engine noise and crap oem struts that need replacing ...

To top it all off my GF of 3 years left me a few weeks ago ... funny enough that happened just as i resigned at my job because they where trying to squeeze me dry and could never do enough work even though i did far more than what they where paying me for and even putting in free hours. I threw in the towel and resigned and just before my last day they nearly begged me to stay and i asked for things to change and a decent raise (which igot) so now i still work at the same place though be it in a different more "at ease" way than before.

So yeah my life has taken a scenic detour into SHIT STREET for the moment ... i don't know if i should spend a bunch of money on the car to get it back to the way i want it or put it aside and blow half my savings on a used vw golf V (rabbit) or something like that.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Sorry to hear that man, sounds like things are pretty rough right now. I'd say choose whichever path will cause you the least amount of stress at this point! Things will start to get better :)

What if you part it out and get a 2016/2017 STI so you can start over at your own pace?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #133

Sorry to hear that man, sounds like things are pretty rough right now. I'd say choose whichever path will cause you the least amount of stress at this point! Things will start to get better :)

What if you part it out and get a 2016/2017 STI so you can start over at your own pace?
Hopefully i've been through enough shit the last months to last me a LONG time ... I hope things will be looking up from here on.

I could never part the car out i'm afraid ... much to emotionally attached. And even if i did i simply do not have the funds to get a newer STi. Hell i can't even justify spending a part of my savings to buy a beater. Buying a newer STi would be a finantial disaster. So unless i win the lottery i won't own any other fast car apart from my hawk for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Hopefully i've been through enough shit the last months to last me a LONG time ... I hope things will be looking up from here on.

I could never part the car out i'm afraid ... much to emotionally attached. And even if i did i simply do not have the funds to get a newer STi. Hell i can't even justify spending a part of my savings to buy a beater. Buying a newer STi would be a finantial disaster. So unless i win the lottery i won't own any other fast car apart from my hawk for the rest of my life.
I dunno man at this point it sounds like the car is becoming more of a headache than anything. Can you have a shop look at it in your area? :(

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #136 (Edited)
Re: Guardian-X-'s 06' STi ... House got robbed,gf left,STi troubles

I dunno man at this point it sounds like the car is becoming more of a headache than anything. Can you have a shop look at it in your area? :(
Last 2 shops in my area stopped and switched to another brand. Also due to the fact the car might seem/sound "normal" to a mechanic who listens to it for the first time it might be a expensive runabout just to get told that there doesn't seem to be anything wrong (no fault codes or anything)

I now have a compression tester aswell as a leakdown tester on the way ... comp. tester is a decent one the leakdown more of the cheaper kind since these are very expensive when looking at decent brands. Hopefully they'l get here soon.

Gunson 6pc compression tester.

The leakdowntester is a chinese made thing that is been sold/rebranded by probably a hundred different brands. Don't know if it'l be any good but at least it should give me "some" idea.

I got 2 weeks off from work coming up in early august and i intend to do some testing and fixing on the car. Meanwhile i've been taking the bicycle to work since it's only 4 miles from my house.

Sorry to hear!

Tough times...
Indeed it is. Still no word from the insurance either ... god forbid one would be 1 day late with a payment but when you you need to get money back (insured against robbery) they take their sweetass time. It's been over a month and still no idea if or how much they are going to pay me for all the goods that where stolen.

thanks for the support.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts

Hopefully it will work out fine.

Sending positive vibes mate! :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #138

Hopefully it will work out fine.

Sending positive vibes mate! :)
Thx dude. Hopefully it will.

I got 2 weeks off from work in august. I plan on doing alot of work on the car

-Fix rust on bootlid + new bolts and gaskets all arround spoiler.
-Replace both axle seals on the rear diff (weeping oil at exhaust side ever so slightly)
-Leakdown + compression test
-KillerB oil pickup and obviously an oilchange
-Maybe paint the rear diff and do some whiteline bushings on it that i got lying arround
-Maybe finally put my JDM pinks on it while trying to re-lube my battered old rear shocks?
-Get an alignment? Probably should since fiddling with the suspension.

All while hoping that the engine is healthy inside.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #139 (Edited)
Re: Guardian-X-'s now 10yrs old STi

Been busy doing compression and leakdown this weekend.

Compression came out good

1# : 153 psi
2# : 152 psi
3# : 146 psi
4# : 147 psi

one of the readings

however leakdown is giving me issue's

cilinder 1-3 arround 10% no airleak sounds. Cilinder 4 is giving 25% leakage no matter how many times i try to redo it. I can hear leaking from oil fill cap very well and also from the intake in a lesser way.

Nr 1-3 all roughly the same reading

Nr 4

Not quite sure what i'm surposed to do next. I ran the car first time in more than a month to heat it up for the compression test .. thing pulled like train (driving the partens's 90hp golf alot the last weeks probably had something to do with how fast the sti felt)

Now i need to determine if there is actually something wrong at cilinder 4# and if so what the problem is and then decide if it needs fixing or not.

I've been building up my mechanical skills with doing all the maintenance on the car but obviously this gets me into situations like this one where i'm stumped at a problem. I don't want to start pulling the valve cover and head off or pulling the whole engine before i know exactly what is wrong and how/if i'll be able to fix it. Any of the work involved will be new to me (i do have a friend who's a good mechanic to help out with stuff like this but i don't want to bother him too much before i know what's wrong)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #140 (Edited)
Re: Guardian-X-'s 06' Sti: Compression and leakdown done

Last time i drove the car was a month or so ago ... i let the car heat up and went for a spirited drive for 2-3 miles and came home to notice i was pushing alot of coolant and the whole thing was boiling and making weird bubbling noises. Haven't run it since and in the process of removing the engine.

121 - 140 of 154 Posts