IW STi Forum banner

101 - 120 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Re: Guardian-X-'s 06' STi random stuff at #100

Having some issue's with the pics. My host has ceased his buisiness and there should have been an email several months ago but i either never got it or i missed it somehow.

Now 90% of my pics are down/gone. I'm hoping he's got a backup or i'm fucked and stuck with resizing and editing 200 or more pictures.

So i have to get hold of my domain and find a new host for my pics and hopefully i can get every pic working again without having to edit every single post with pics and i have no clue anymore what pics went where etc etc

Anyway pics will be down for some time.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #102 (Edited)
Re: Guardian-X-'s 06' STi

I've been quite busy with something that could change my life drastically. "Short" story before the news:

I've been working the same dead-end crapjob making boxsprings (a type of bed) for nearly 10 years now ... i've been thinking about changing for no less than 5 years but the job is 3 miles away from home (yep that's right .. only 3 friggin miles) and get along well with my colleague. It's a 2 shift job meaning 1 week early shift and 1 week late shift. I never had a raise ... yep 10yrs without a raise :mad: that's just the way it works over there ... it's a factory and they never heard of raise down there ... heck me and my colleague are the very best in the whole department and he's been working there for 25 friggin years without a raise.... Anyway i stuck arround for waaaaay too long. I could go on about the job and why i lasted that long when i didn't even like the job and all that but i'm not going to bore you guy's with all that.

Now on to the good part. I have an opportunity to get a job at a BMW dealership that's only (get this) a quarter mile down the road from my current job! They are looking for someone to do detailing (polishing),interior cleaning, take the car to government inspection station to prep for sale,help arround at the shop, drive arround to get parts etc etc ... so basically this is a job that requires no mechanics degree or anything like that so it's by far the best chance i'll ever have to get a job working with cars and getting in an actual shop.

I had an interview with the boss of the dealership explaining my interest in the job and telling him about my car and what work i do on it and the cars of friends and family and all that and it went great so far :) he said i did great and should come over saturday for a test ... if all goes well i'm hired! :) Had to do my best to get the interview though .. couldn't get hold of the boss and the guy at the desk probably didn't take my attempts seriously but after 3 weeks i got an appointment to do an interview and the boss basically didn't know about my attempts to get an interview .. (thx alot desk guy :rolleyes:) but interview ent great so yeah :D

Upsides:

-Day job (thank god no more working crap shifts)
-Pay is better than what i get now even without the dual shift bonus
-Possibility to do overtime and or saturdays! F*ck yeah finally!
-I get to make my job out of my hobby basically
-Surrounded with loads of stuff (cars lol) that actually interest me.
-Did i mention i get to work with cars? :lol:
-Under 4 miles from home

Could come up with more but don't want to jinx anything ...:p

He is going to set up a try-out saturday and will call me with the exact hour (he needs his bodywork guy to come up on saturday to evaluate me)

So cross your fingers guy's ... this could be a huge and good change for me!

in b4 dealerships suck ... i know dealerships aren't popular amongst car enthousiasts but i'm not a mechanic and i love cars and really look forward to working with cars on a daily basis.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Re: Guardian-X-'s 06' STi --> I could be getting a new job soon!

My aching back, damn you, boxspring mattress! :mad:

Well, while it's not super glamorous, a detailer / service man job at a dealership sure sounds better, and more in tune with your passion for cars.

Nowadays, I think the best advice for interviews is to show a willingness to learn and that you're a team player. Me, I'm not the latter, I work best alone, so I've always struggled in my youth to find decent jobs. Hence why having my own trucking business suits me so well as I simply cannot work with someone watching over my shoulder.

Good luck, I hope you get what you wish for! :tup:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #104 (Edited)

My aching back, damn you, boxspring mattress! :mad:

Well, while it's not super glamorous, a detailer / service man job at a dealership sure sounds better, and more in tune with your passion for cars.

Nowadays, I think the best advice for interviews is to show a willingness to learn and that you're a team player. Me, I'm not the latter, I work best alone, so I've always struggled in my youth to find decent jobs. Hence why having my own trucking business suits me so well as I simply cannot work with someone watching over my shoulder.

Good luck, I hope you get what you wish for! :tup:
Don't look at me i don't make the matresses :lol: it's actually the lower portion of the bed on which you put a matress. I.e it's a wooden crate housing a spring that has been covered with a fabric/fake leather. I do the upholstery most of the time (stretching the fabric and pulling it tight over the frame is what wore out my wrists for the last 10 years)

So the lower portion you see above in beige/gold like color is what i and 3 others make at about 100 pieces in 8 hours. Top quality and heavy let me tell you :p (pictured boxsprings most probably have passed my hands)

Anyway to hell with my (hopefully) old job :lol:

About the "new" job: Indeed it isn't glamorous but it is something that interests me and puts me in a spot where i have potential to gain knowledge and hopefully work my way up over the years. All while working with cars so yeah pretty neat :)

I guess part of my good interview was the fact that i was very motivated and was very willing to learn,work overtime and it's a real passion of mine and the fact i had been loyal to my first job for nearly 10 years. (so not a random dude jobhopping looking for a few months of work while not giving a fuck about his work/customers)

While reading your journal you indeed seem like a "lone wolf" and do a pretty damn good job at it! I need more of a helping hand to point me in the right direction or show me how it's done and after that i'm good to go ;) i get along in team as long as everyone does their part or alone is fine too but that makes my day's seem longer :p

Thanks for the kind words jay I appreciate it :) hopefully i'll be back with good news!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #105 (Edited)

Just finished second day on the new job. Still very glad i made the decision to quit my crappy job of ten years and moving to the automotive world :)

Got to drive a 650i gran coupe for 20 miles. What a beast ... i've been in 10-15 Beemers from a 1 series to a 6 so far and only on the second day :p ... From cars bathed in luxury to smaller run of the mill beemers. It's not a posh job and cleaning and detailing is quite a handfull (stressy enviroment aswell) but i get to relax from time to time when i have to take a car to get inspected 10 miles down the road.

So all in all i'm a happy man! :)

Internet pic of the 650

330KW - 450HP V8

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #106 (Edited)
Re: Guardian-X-'s 06' STi --> new job ..drove a fancy beemer :p

Pics are finally back online! So happy i didn't lose all the data. (server that hosted my pics has been down for like 6months but the guy who kept em running luckily had backups even after the server was pulled offline)

As far as as the STi goes i'm going INSANE not modding or wrenching on it :banghead: :domo: :censored:

Sometimes i'm all like ... fuck saving i'll drop 2k on maintenance and mods this weekend :p ... must resist ... :scurred:

(just noticed how boring my journal has become ... :( )

·
Registered
1,353 Posts

just noticed how boring my journal has become ... :( )
That's a matter of opinion. Some may not like stuff other than car content in journals, but you could do like me and talk about other stuff; your hobbies, your life, stuff you like, stuff you hate, etc...

Belgium FTW, we need diversity... 'Muricans can get boring! ;)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #108 (Edited)

'Muricans can get boring! ;)
True but then again americans having all the hyper modified rides with loads of top dollar parts makes for a fun time looking at the forum and all the cars on it (from a poor belgian point of view :p) However ... as with everything it can indeed get tiresome especially when it's all like "look at all those sweet and expensive parts i'll never own!" but that's where journals like your own came in and made browsing worthwhile! The forum could use more of your type of journals :)

Oh and i really need to take off my rear spoiler and replace the foam/weather strip and hope that there isn't any rust underneath. This is on top of the to-do list this summer.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #109 (Edited)

Changed my fuel filter last week (YAAAAAY finally wrenching!!)

For what it's worth the 06/07 part nr's do not necessarily go for EDM impreza's aswell.

I have an 06' but mine does have the 030 part nr filter (the one with the extra elbow piece on it) that USDM impreza's only seem to have from '07.

Same goes for the secondairy air pump .. it's often stated that 06's do not have these but 07 does and again the 06's in the european market DO have them (mine does aswell)

Changed last week at 61k km (or +- 38.000 miles) and its still looking good ... brown yes but the filter does not seem clogged in any way. I feel that those things turn brown very fast anyway regardless of dirt ... pic is from 2 day's after so hence the dry filter.

Mind you i alway's get premium fuel at a place that get's lot's of traffic ( SHELL V-power ) tank looks pristine aswell.

Some issue's that made the whole ordeal take twice as long as it could have

-That ****** bracket that holds some line just over the tank ... i needed one more inch of space but noooo i had to undo the line from the bracket and nearly breaking those plastic shitty clips and urgh ...

-Also the (breather?) line pictured wouldn't come off unless using pliers and excessive force and same thing for getting it back on .. without some kind of lube this was a huge pita ...

Inside of the tank

Also running without the backseat for a while ... noise is do-able but the wheel wells make a ton of noise when driving in rain or grit.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #110 (Edited)

Been stocking up on detailing stuff ...

Tried some 303 aerospace protectant on the dash.

My latest purchase (not including the aerospace protectant ... sneaked out of the pic lol)

-303 Aerospace protectant (sneaked out of pic)
-Scratchshield wash and rinse buckets with shields
-Gallon chemical guy's honeydew snowfoam
-Carpro BOA MF's (3)
-Microfiber madness incredimitt
-Microfiber madness cloudbuster (windows)
-Autobrite foam lance
-Chemichal guy's MR.Piink (for free with my order! :D)
-EZ detail brush mini (wheels)
-MF applicator pad's (2)
-Nanolex wheel cleaner (awesome stuff)

Chemical guy's honeydew where have you been all my life!! What an awesome shampoo! Bye bye meguiar's .. been told for ages their consumer productline actually isn't all that good and the more i try other product the more i agree ... throwin it all out!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #111

Here's my attempt at a quick 0-100km/h (0-62mph) run using launch control i'm not going to try and find out how fast it was because i don't care much and i can't see the speedo all that well from that angle.

Also i had to slam on the brakes immediatly after hitting 100km/h because i ran out of road (short remote strip of tarmac)

Car was running 360bhp/500nm and was on advan AD08 tires at that time.

Sound was crap so i lowered the volume after launch ... the microphone connection was bad causing static/distortion after launch. Sorry about that.

Video was shot in back 2012 but never got arround to uploading it.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #112

Been a very long time since i updated ... However i have some "new" mods on the way!!

I also moved out of the parents house and now rent my own place with my girlfriend!! :D

Somehow i managed to find 2 items that i had been looking for a long time (that i couldn't find in a country near me ... because import out of US = very expensive)

So i now have a KillerB motorsport oil pickup (brand new and on the cheap)
And i have a 50.000mile set of standard shock absorbers + JDM pinks on the way! The springs probably have done less but no way to tell how much.

I have bought some new oil that should be similar to Motul 300V in regards to the fact that it's ester based (i don't know much about it but that's what i read at least) Silkolene is now called Fuchs ( yes fuchs not fucks :p ) anyway fuchs (former silkolene) is held in high regard in the UK so i thought i'd give it a try.

Suspension pics are from the seller so not my car.

Have yet to take a pic of the oil pickup but will be posted soon.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Re: Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Bought some used JDM pinks'

Struts/springs aren't mounted on the car yet ...

Only thing i've been doing lately is trying out new detailing stuff on it.

However i have a bunch of whiteline stuff on the way! Front strut brace,endlinks,bushings for gearbox etc :) got it super cheap! Up to 90% off.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #114 (Edited)
Re: Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Some whiteline stuff on it's way!

Been a while since i posted ... have yet to do a TON of stuff on the car

What i have done:

-Mount winterwheels :p

To do: :smash::scurred:

-Timing belt + wp (have all the parts)
-While i'm at it -> crank and camshaft seals (not looking forward to this one and would rather not do it but i fear for leaks shortly after doing timing belt)
-Unmount the rear spoiler -> adress rust issues and stick new OEM gaskets on it.
-Fix the rear suspension cluck and mount jdm pink springs
-Mount some whiteline suspension stuff
-Get an alignment
-Fix a leak at drivers side of the rear diff where the axle meets the diff.
-Mount killerB oil pickup
-New coolant and engine oil
-Adress a metallic rattle between 2-4k rpm when hot + whistling sound (cold/hot) that suddenly started when on boost ... i'm hoping exhaust/intake issue rather than a engine problem. Sounds nasty :(

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #115 (Edited)
Re: Guardian-X-'s 06' STi Have a TON of maintenance/minor mod's to do and little time

Update:

Here's what i have done so far

-Timing belt (+all idlers and tensioner + new crank pulley bolt all OEM)
-New water pump + gasket (all OEM)
-New gates micro-v p/s+alt and a/c belt
-New coolant 10 liters (MOTUL Inugel Optimal)

New belt and idlers and pump installed

Timing covers all cleaned and put some plastic trim restorer on it (on the outside only)

Radiator back on (New ABA clamps went on after the coolant leaks ... more about that below)

Took her for a spin after all the work ... half a mile down the road i stop and see smoke bellowing from under the hood/scoop :eek: :censored:. I knew rightaway -> coolant leak. So i quickly returned home and popped the hood and rinsed the front of the engine and the front part of the exhaust manifold (engine was far from operating temp so i din't care much about cold water vs hot exhaust and just started rinsing)

Back in the garage:

CRAP! :mad: spotted multiple leaks .. 2 at the lower hoses from the water pump and one at the engine block up top ... i fought for one and a half hours with the lower wp connections trying to slice through the old clamps and putting new ABA wormdrive clamps back on ... this was by far the most annoying ordeal of the whole job.

So here i was with the car on jackstands and 3 coolant leaks and no new clamps ... i had to wait till the day after and borrow the parents their Golf V (love that car for DD) and find new clamps. First i got the run of the mill hose clamps and got back and installed them.

After all that -> What do you know still leaking FML :mad: off again to find better clamps and remembered i once had clamps with a blue body and they where very sturdy. Sure enough the shop could get them but i had to order them and collect them the next day :notsure:(ABA clamps)

So above you see the worm drive clamps i got first ... they where shit so i had te buy bigger ones. ABA clamps went on and coolant leaks where fixed!

The bottom clamps ..well yeah that was an absolute PITA to do without undoing the hoses.

I had to pull out the dremel to slice through the old oem clamps without cutting into the hoses. 1 and a half hour of of very loud swearing :domo: later 3 sliced OEM clamps and 3 new clamps on the water pump. If i ever had to da that again i would drain the coolant instead and make life easier.

More updates and pics to follow soon!!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #116 (Edited)
Re: Guardian-X-'s 06' STi maintenance,maintenance and maintenance [pics incl]

Did some minor interior cleaning (let it get way to dirty ... hadn't cleaned it in 2 months) Although it has never been bad inside my car i'm still proud of how the car looks after 10 years of daily driving it (47.000 miles)

Mind you i still have the actually clean the alcantara ... these have never been cleaned using anything other than a vacuum cleaner.

Click pics for enlarged view:

Btw those are still the original floormats :D (D/S mat has seen better day's though .. especially where the heel rests)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #117 (Edited)
Re: Guardian-X-'s 06' DD STi Almost 10 years old ... interior pics on page #12

More stuff i haven't done the pics on until now.

Pic of all the parts i got to do the timing belt

The rust on the bootlid due to the rear spoiler hitting the lid. I knew that i had to do somthing about the weather seal underneath the spoiler for about 2 years now but always postponed it (i'm an awfully big procrastrinator) so yeah ashamed of it to say the least. I'm going to fix it as soon as the weather is warmer so i can ride a bike to work while i work on the bootlid

Also while i did the timing belt i noticed some rusty radiator stays on the bottom so i fixed that while the radiator was out. Cleaned,painted and SS bolts where used ... also used silicone grease on the rubber grommets (no pic)

And i noticed an axle seal leak on the rear diff. I have a new seal ready but i'm wondering if i might aswell drop the whole diff,do both seals AND paint the whole diff cause i hate that rusty look ... even though it's never going to rust through that thick chunk of metal i still hate the way it looks. I'm thinking some nice black hammerite (similar to rustoleum) look would be nice.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Re: Guardian-X-'s 06' DD STi Almost 10 years old -> Rusty bootlid,axle seal leak and

Update:

-Mounted stock exhaust for inspections and a week later swapped my invidia dp and prodrive muffler (man i'm getting so tired of having to do this each year ... i should really sell everything i own and don't need in terms of exhaust parts and get an aftermarket exhaust with the right approvals/paperwork for my country)

-Flushed the clutch fluid (first time in 10 years) clutch pedal now feels too soft to my liking ... obviously something went wrong and possibly has something to do with not following the WSM that states the piston needs to be removed before bleeding the system)

-There's been a unusual whine under boost since a month or two and i can't for the life of me find out where it's coming from. To make matters worse when checking al the piping/lines and tightening everything up it just got twice as bad :confused: it went from a faint whistle/whine under boost to "a bird being killed under the hood" when in boost.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Re: Guardian-X-'s 06' DD STi Almost 10 years old -> Rusty bootlid,axle seal leak and

Fortunately i was able to fix to whine/flute noise from under te hood.

After having my I/C off again to do the clutch fluid bleeding (again) i checked all post turbo hoses as well as i could and snugged everything up and the noise is gone. Which hose the culprit was i still don't know but i'm glad it's fixed :D

Still have alot of stuff to do though ... clutch is still not as it should (too soft) and i can't bleed it properly because i can't get the piston assembly out due to the starter being in the way and i'm not really into removing a part that doesn't need attention.

COPY PASTA FROM MY POST -> SEE THIS THREAD FOR MORE INFO
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/diy-mods-and-installations/205212-flush-clutch-fluid-3.html
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/diy-mods-and-installations/205212-flush-clutch-fluid-4.html

can anyone elaborate on the wsm as to how on earth i should remove those bolts without removing the starter? I would have to grind down my socket to 1cm wide or get some spacegrade 2mm thick ratchet or something.

Pic of a (rusty) wrench on the "most" accessible bolt and a socket on that same bolt showing there is no way my tools are going to get that thing out.

swivel extensions and whatnot are also no use.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Re: Guardian-X-'s 06' DD STi Almost 10 years-> Clutch bleeding problems

It's 2 bolts to remove the starter... I don't understand your hesitation? You're probably not going to be able to get the bolts out far enough without removing..(they are fairly long)

101 - 120 of 154 Posts