IW STi Forum banner

81 - 100 of 667 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
At first I didn't use the impact on the aluminum ones, but finally broke down and started doing it and they're fine. The anodizing just chips off.

The spline drive lugs I have I loosen then use an impact to spin them the rest of the way off. I'm a big fan of them for DD and protecting the wheels but I'd never use them if I was taking wheels on and off all the time.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I don't have problem with spline drives. I break them all loose get the car up in the air then spin them off with an cordless 1/4" impact. Then spin back on with the same gun. After that it's about a 1/4 turn with the torque wrench set at 65ft.lbs. and I'm done. easy peazy.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I wish that was the problem I started having with the OEM lugs. Mine started siezing on the lug while I was taking them off. Had it happen twice like a couple days apart. Zipping them off with the impact they would get like 1/4 of the way off and sieze. Get out the huge breaker bar and snap the lugs off. Pound them out and press a new one in.
Same here. I think I've changed all of my lug studs at least once, and that nonsense got old quick.

I haven't had any issues since ditching the OEM nuts for the Mutekis, but I'll still try using anti-seize in the future anyway.

·
Registered
918 Posts
FWIW, the local reigning STU champ picked up a 2010 STI SE and was pretty quick in it. I'd be interested in seeing what a good driver could do in a properly set up STU GR. the GD's people were running were usually faster than me but only by a bit and in 2010 I took 1st in STU 3 or 4 times in my region in a GR and was several seconds slower jumping behind the wheel of a GD. it always makes me wonder because I think the GR has more grip in it but the GD just seemed more comfortable to drive at the limit whereas with the GR I never quite "knew" where the limit was until it was too late and I think this is due to the GR's rear suspension design coupled with super squishy bushings back there.
You kind of proved my point. Maybe given unlimited mods the GR may come close to the GD, but as you said the GD handles better at the limit. The last couple years at Nationals it was only 2006's that even made it to the top ten in STU. The 2007 lost some caster and the GR's as you said are too squishy. That rear suspension was designed for cargo room not performance.

Also and not to discredit your local drivers, but local events and the Nationals are very different. The caliber of cars and courses at Nationals are worlds apart from local events.
To carry this over from the GR to GD sti thread, I can't agree or disagree. I saw Ken Block drive a stock GR sti and he was pretty damn fast, I wouldn't be able to say which is faster but I know I consistently posted faster times in my GR.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=168

Not sure if anybody saw this article awhile back. Looks like the Dunlop is going to continue to be the tire to have in stu. Now of course I'm really pissed because i bought a brand new set of star specs at the end of last season. The problem is my car didn't make a few events so i never finished burning through my old set. Now i have a never mounted set of last generation star specs sitting in the house :rolleyes:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
^I'm on the opposite end of that deal. My Z1s are completely kicked and my ZIIs won't be here until March 8th, according to Tire Rack. If I pick up co-drives in February, the local test and tunes are worthless to me from a setup perspective.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
According to Tire Rack's site, 245/40-18 ZIIs are expected on January 25th now. That's good news for me, since the season starts in February here.

However, it looks like work conflicts will keep me out of both the Dixie Match Tour and the Dover Champ Tour. I'm trying for one or both of the Wilmington, OH Tour dates, as well as possibly one in Blytheville. A late Atlanta Tour addition would be quite welcome here ;). Barring another issue with my work schedule, I also expect to be in Lincoln for Nats this year.

I spent a day working on the car, and got it down to 3110 lbs (without me of course). Details to follow in a few days.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I spent most of yesterday and today swapping parts over from my old wrx to the new STi. SS brake lines and suspension to go on later this week. Sunday is first event of the season for, so no time to order Z2's, the stockers will have to do for now. I'm curious how you got your curb weight down to 3110.

Posted from Iwsti.com App for Android

·
Registered
349 Posts
I realize this isn't about STU but I figure the place to ask is here.

I used to run STU but now I have an AccessPORT OTS stage 1 tune. What class would that put me in and why? I was locally competitive in STU, but now that I'm in the big city I'm sure I'll have my ass handed to me no matter what class I run in.

I know that the boost targets of the AP tune prevent me rom STU, but what if I get a protune with stock targets? I never switch my current tune from 14.5 psi to 17.5 (S#) anyway.

Tl;dr: anyway to run STU with a tune?

·
Registered
918 Posts
I realize this isn't about STU but I figure the place to ask is here.

I used to run STU but now I have an AccessPORT OTS stage 1 tune. What class would that put me in and why? I was locally competitive in STU, but now that I'm in the big city I'm sure I'll have my ass handed to me no matter what class I run in.

I know that the boost targets of the AP tune prevent me rom STU, but what if I get a protune with stock targets? I never switch my current tune from 14.5 psi to 17.5 (S#) anyway.

Tl;dr: anyway to run STU with a tune?
From what I understand, boost target is the same based on the map so S or S# shouldn't matter, it's just the Req. Tq. that helps you hit boost harder and a little higher. Anyways, back on topic, Stage 1 would put you in ASP I believe, but a protune with stock boost targets would slide you right back into STU. No matter what though, without suspension mods/tires you're gonna get smoked :lol: (jk, I got my ass handed to me by a guy in a stock STI on all seasons one time when I was all STU'd out :()

·
Registered
349 Posts
Boost target for S mode is 14.5 and for S# it is 17.5. You can read it on Cobb's website.

I recall something about CELs being turned off by the AP. Would that force me into ASP?

As far as getting smoked; it's inevitable, I live in Colorado.

Seriously though, I'm due for new rubber and I'll probably go for a blistein/RCE/vorshlag set up before the season anyway.

·
Registered
318 Posts
That means you're running with me. Hooray for more GRs in the the region!!

I'm pretty sure I've seen you post in the AutoX thread on AWDPirates, good local banter and helpful folks.

Anyway, as to your question, running a Stage II OTS map locally is the standard in our region. It's basically the dumping ground for mildly modded cars that don't want to shell out the big bucks for race rubber. In addition the fastest STU guy (Ryan Schossow) rarely breaks into the top 15 for PAX. So unless you sprinkle your car with pixie dust and knock the regulars off the podium no one will care.

If you choose to do any of the tour events then you should get an STU legal tune just to be safe. I personally think the rule is BS, but better to avoid the conflict.

As to going ASP, until you are ready to shell out the $$$ for R-comps don't bother. In addition the PAX for ASP is only 0.001 better than SM...yeah more BS. The SM crowd got dubbed "Subie Mod" because of the big STi and WRX presence. To give you an idea, SM had 32 drivers last year and ASP had 2. With the PAX changes expect more of the same.

Our STU crowd is super chill and everyone is very helpful, should be another great season. See ya out there.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I'm curious how you got your curb weight down to 3110
See post #16.

If you choose to do any of the tour events then you should get an STU legal tune just to be safe. I personally think the rule is BS, but better to avoid the conflict.
I'm gonna try to not sound like an ahole here...

If you do a National Tour/ProSolo event in STU with a modified boost table, you are a cheater. Period. There really shouldn't be any encouragement "just to be safe." The ruleset exists for a reason. The respective Solo committees saw it appropriate to limit turbo cars in ST* to stock boost maps. If one disagrees with that reasoning, there are ASP/ESP for STIs/WRXs, as well as other classes (SM, FP, XP).

If the STU guys in your particular region are fine with running stage 1 or 2 tunes, that's your collective prerogative. However, a legal way to run such cars is in a street tire index class, using ASP PAX. Locally, we offer "Tire" class for those with cars classed in R-compound classes that choose to run street tires.

While I agree that Hoosiers are outrageously expensive, one's decision to run street tires shouldn't create unfair competition for the guy prepping his car per the official rulebook.

As to going ASP, until you are ready to shell out the $$$ for R-comps don't bother. In addition the PAX for ASP is only 0.001 better than SM...yeah more BS.
ASP definitely got hosed (much like STU), and I don't see reason why anyone would run there this year, when you can take advantage of SM allowances and suffer only a slight PAX penalty.

I hope the E36 M3 winning STU reduces the fear of AWD cars a bit. A nose-heavy 3000+ lbs on 245s isn't all that ideal... :lol:

·
Registered
318 Posts
You're right, if you want to play with the big boys play by the big boy rules. :tips hat: I will say that the OTS power gains are just as achievable if you're willing to shell out the $$$ on a 100 octane ProTune. I understand it's the rule, but it's a foolish one and hopefully after another year of STU PAXing poorly something will change.

That looks like the same weight reduction I'm planning on, hopefully I'll see similar improvement. Well done.

Our region follows Nats for classing so there are no ST* indexed classes, which is the primary reason for everyone running STU.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
I will say that the OTS power gains are just as achievable if you're willing to shell out the $$$ on a 100 octane ProTune. I understand it's the rule, but it's a foolish one and hopefully after another year of STU PAXing poorly something will change.
Yeah, I've talked to a couple guys that are making stage 2-like numbers with STU legal maps. I just don't think I'd want to run that much timing, regardless of fuel used. Some of those tunes are right at the ragged edge.

When the day comes for me to increase power, I plan to keep it moderate, in the name of longevity. Stock power is surely holding the car back now, but it's allowed me to concentrate on other things, namely driving and suspension setup (both of which always need more work).

·
Registered
349 Posts
Can I run wider tires in STU? I was thinking of going for a 255 or 265. Last two seasons I ran the stock Dunlops. I shoulden't have fitment problems with either of those on stock everything else no? I will never lower the car or pull the fenders.

I'm also thinking of going for a Group N pitch stop and some upgraded rear diff, shifter, and tranny mounts/bushings. Are these generally worth it in STU? Does anyone have expiriences? I would probably buy as much stuff with some semblance of a Subaru branded part as possible (I.e. GrpN and STi parts).

That brings me to another question. What about suspension/bushing mods from Japanese market cars? STU legal? Mostly?

My car is the opposite of STU'd out. I think steering rack bushings and stoptech lines put me in there...

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
No STU prohibits the use of anything larger than a 245. If you want large try running in ASP.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Can I run wider tires in STU? I was thinking of going for a 255 or 265. Last two seasons I ran the stock Dunlops. I shoulden't have fitment problems with either of those on stock everything else no? I will never lower the car or pull the fenders.

I'm also thinking of going for a Group N pitch stop and some upgraded rear diff, shifter, and tranny mounts/bushings. Are these generally worth it in STU? Does anyone have expiriences? I would probably buy as much stuff with some semblance of a Subaru branded part as possible (I.e. GrpN and STi parts).

That brings me to another question. What about suspension/bushing mods from Japanese market cars? STU legal? Mostly?

My car is the opposite of STU'd out. I think steering rack bushings and stoptech lines put me in there...
245 is the max. i actually just found out about an hour ago that my wider tires (265) has just placed me up in the ASP class.. I am actually not really happy about it because, well it IS expensive to run in that bracket and i dont really want to do that. my car is perfectly set up otherwise to run in STU, so i might just slap my stock wheels and tired back on to race.

·
Registered
64 Posts
OptionsQuote message in reply? *Posting Quick Reply - Please Wait « Ice Racing Georgetown, CO | - » Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (1 members and 0 guests) bustAmove Thread Tools Show Printable Version Email this Page Unsubscribe from

·
Registered
64 Posts
245 is the max. i actually just found out about an hour ago that my wider tires (265) has just placed me up in the ASP class.. I am actually not really happy about it because, well it IS expensive to run in that bracket and i dont really want to do that. my car is perfectly set up otherwise to run in STU, so i might just slap my stock wheels and tired back on to race.

81 - 100 of 667 Posts