IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a nice system in my 04 STi and need to confirm the ground point I used for the amps. I have an amp mounted under each of the front seats and ran a 4ga ground wire from the amp the the right rear seat mount bolt (drivers side). On the passenger side I ran another 4ga ground to the left rear seat mounting bolt. Are these satisfactory ground locations? I am having some static/distortion gremlins. Thinking I might have a ground problem. Any input would be gretly appreciated.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,520 Posts
Probably a better thing to do would be to take up the center console. . . find a nice bolt that's not obstructed, wire brush the metal aroud it bare (with the bolt removed of course) and ground them both in there. Then silicone the whole connection to prevent oxidation.

This should produce a nice clean contact point for ground.

(Since I have yet to pick up my own STi, I can only guess at what's under the center console) :D

·
Registered
857 Posts
i lucked out on my install.

eveything is in the rear.

i grounded with a shorty pigtail. make sure ground wire is a thick, if not thicker than power.

i used a bolt to hold down amp rack through a hole in the rear area that is covered by a little sticker.

so far, so good. ran my battery of tests and no audible alternator whine.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Speaking of wires... Where is a good place to run a power wire from the battery through the firewall. I would rather not drill into the firewall if there is a place to feed it through. If there was a place with a nice grommet to feed it through that would be great. Just wondering what other people did for the power wire. Thanks.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I put my power wire through a pre-fabricated hole right above the clutch pedal in the FW - it is covered by a little bit of foam and already has a rubber grommet. I just cut an X in the grommet and ran the wire through (although it's difficult to fit it through when you have a fuse holder on the end, like I did)

The fusebox wiring goes through the fender area so it's too difficult to go through there unless you want to take the front left fender off

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used the exact same grounding points for my amps and have not experienced any problems (knock on wood). You might have done this but be sure to use a knife to remove the paint and the thin layer that is at the top of the metal. Once you get down to the metal it should be rather shiny.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts