IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grinding going into 2nd
the car shifts fine but sometimes when i get on it and shift i can hear a grind going into 2nd but only happens sometimes not all the time when i shift into 2nd. all other gears are fine. Normal driving and if i get on it a little its fine no grinding at all itonly happens when i shift at 6500-6800.

any thoughts. im going to change the tranny fluid because i allways do that after 3k miles on all my cars. There is a pan on the sti tranny which i will clean and clean teh pan and put in mt-90 redline because people have had good results and even cobb said thats a good way to go. now i hear the sti tranny needs gl-5 you can get away with the mt-90 on reg wrx not on the sti tranny so im going to change that

now if i go to dealer and say oh yah its grinding at 6500-6800 gear changes only in 2nd they can say oh you are racing it thats why its making that noise. if it was doing it under normal driving then i could say it makes the noise at any speed going into 2nd but i think telling them it does it at 6500-6800rpms they will raise their eye brow

·
Registered
347 Posts
is there a possibility this is happening because you are rushing your shift a little? if you're getting on it pretty hard, you'll come up on your shift point pretty quickly, and maybe you're just not getting the clutch dis-engaged all the way when you're making the shift. try slowing your shift down just a hair, be realllllly smooth, and see what happens. if it still happens, i'd say the next step is a trip to the service dept.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DccD ?

yah i think that could be it because if it was a syncro would do it all the time. but you see if i say it happens at that rpm they can say im racing it. even if lets say nothing is wrong still in the papers 1st to 2nd shift making noise at 6500 and lets say a year from now 2nd goes out they will look at that and say you see its because of those shifts. ill just slow down on the shifting

tony

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Buying an STi from another province?

Synchros won't grind every single time. The RSX Type-S is notorious for 2nd gear grinding when shifting fast at high RPMs (7900~8200) but it doesn't happen consistently. Even my Premium will grind every now and then, depending on temperature and how hard I boot it from a light. Does the STi have triple synchros on 2nd?

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have trouble getting into second when cold. Seems like I have to wait until the RPMs drop before it wants to get into second.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's probably you not coordinating well the shifting and leaving the clutch engaged...It used to happen on my 96 300ZX TT when going into 5th (it was really a long throw). I would clutch really fast, so there was not enough time to get the stick to the proper position. It would grind horribly. On the Sti being a short throw is a non issue. Pratice and coordination of your fast shifts should take care of that.

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
He might be leaving the clutch engaged but I think it is probably more to do with the synchros not being able to do their job fast enough. Triple synchros tend to grind occasionally, just don't ever force it, unless you like stripping the teeth of those poor synchros.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Synchros have teeth? I've never seen a real one, just pictures and animations.... but they all looked like smooth rubber rings....

By the way, even if you tell them it only happens between 6500 and 6800 rpm, they can't deny your warranty or anything of the like. Those RPM are below the rev limiter and thus fair game for the use of your car.

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Well, maybe not teeth, but I always thought they had some kind of mesh on the cone?. Now I'll have to find I picture. lol. All I know is that forcing the shifter into gear isn't good on the synchros.

·
Registered
521 Posts
looking for model cars/die cast

im guessing, just guessing 1st 2nd and 3rd are the roughest gears?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i only have heard the dreaded grinding sound once. and it was on a shift into third. my fault. otherwise i have never had any grinding sounds and i have done many many high rpm shifts into second.

·
Registered
84 Posts
elucas730 said:
I have trouble getting into second when cold. Seems like I have to wait until the RPMs drop before it wants to get into second.
I got this problem too. If you drive the car quickly right after you cold start it. you can get into this state where your coasting at 8 mph and it won't go into 2nd (or 1st). You have to almost stop, then it'll go into first.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I get the same problem except its from 3rd to 4th or 5th to 4th. I can drive like a wuss and it shifts perfectly. I can be redlining in 5th.....I dunno the speed im going.....try to downshift to 4th and grinds, it wont let me in. I could be redlining in 5th and just for experimental purposes I let go the gas, press the clutch for like 3-4 seconds and then attempt to go into 4th and it still wont let me go in. So pretty much I've been driving like a wuss for the past 2500 miles. I now have 12500 miles on it.

It would realy suck if this trannys gonna be THAAAAAAT glassy.

later

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Um..... if you're REDLINING in 5th... or any gear for that matter, what would posess you to try do DOWNSHIFT your car into a lower gear?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sounds like you guys need to practice being smooth in your shifts. I always have the clutch pushed down to the metal while I shift and SMOOTHLY let it out once fully in gear. If you're downshifting, especially when your engine is a little cold, blipping the throttle to raise the rpms right as you are about to downshift always helps.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I always let my clutch out pretty quickly.... It doesn't feel as smooth but it's a hell of a lot better on your clutch....

As for shifting, don't downshift when you're redlining the gear you're in, and when you do downshift, get those rpms up like blueballs said, it'll help synchronize the.... um... synchros.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
i have trouble when trying to get it into third when i'm racing...if i try to slam it it wont go i have to be smooth about it when i am it goes in nice and easy...when i slam it grinds...and i have the clutch to the floor...i guess it's a little touchy?

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
Blipping the throttle before downshifting isn't to help the synchros (unless double-clutching) it is to reduce engine braking/stress on the clutch. If you don't blip the throttle when downshifting the engine has to suddenly "catch-up" to the new RPM for the current gear. If the ratios are far apart enough this can put an awful lot of strain on the clutch/engine. Always blip the throttle before downshifting.

I hear the STi has fantastic pedal placement for heel-and-toe downshifting?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts