IW STi Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Re: Grinder's 07 STi. Zzyzx EM coilvers, volks, and more.

Thanks. Nope, no pulling/rolling and most importantly no rubbing!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)

Here are some pics of the gauge "installed." I havent finalized where i want to put it yet, so I'm testing out the current location with some handy masking tape.

The camera accentuates the difference in color between the factory gauges and the Maddad one. While there is a slight color difference, its not really noticeable--but more noticeable during the day.

The gauge works great so far, even though I only have the boost hooked up. On a side note, I appear to be hitting 16 psi in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I was under the impression that I shouldnt be hitting 16 psi in ANY gear, and that 1st and 2nd should be lower numbers than 3rd.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

Nice to know they don't rub, how low is the car? Have not bought wheels because they cost alot and want the right look!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

The ride height is currently 13.75" front and 13.5" rear. Nothing too crazy, but it gets rid of that wheel gap. I also have pretty stiff springs on the car now, so its possible i'd get rubbing with a softer setup.

The_Clap told me that i'd probably be okay with my wheels on a stock suspension though! He's an awesome trove of information!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

So as of this weekend the new gauge is finalized in the cabin.

I was hoping to at least get the oil temp sensor in, but i ran out of time. I got my galley plug from Mach V, and while I was there figured I'd pick up a FSB! I threw it on this weekend along with doing some gear fluid changes. I couldnt get the drain plug off the transmission pan, which I think is a somewhat common problem. I managed to drain MOST of the fluid out of the differential drain plug (~3.5 liters) but there's definitely some old stuff still in there. I went ahead and refilled everything with my Subaru Extra-S. I guess I'll order a new drain pan and make a point of doing it in the coming weeks.

Part #s needed:
THREE BOND 1215 (Part # 004403007)
Transmission Oil Pan (part # 31225AA010)

and potentially the two washers:
Clutch side - 803926070
Oil Pan - 803916080

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)

Yesterday i got the oil temp sender installed in the galley plug under the IC. What a pain to get to!
This thread was very useful for me as a how-to.

However, I've definitely noticed a troubling boost issue!
It appears that I'm hitting 16.5 psi, in 2nd gear no-less! I was under the impression i should only be hitting 14.5, and then only in 3rd+. Should i be worried?

Here's a cellphone pic of the gauge on peak recall:

For reference, here's the boost gauge at idle:

Is this boost level somehow normal? Is it most likely a gauge issue? I need to do more research, and hopefully someone will chime in!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

This past weekend i did my first track day in the STI. It was a NASA event at Summit Point main, and I was with HPDE 1.

I got there Friday night and helped my H2 friend get his car ready for the race the next day. I then turned my attention to my car, where I completely flushed the brake fluid and replaced it with ATE Superblue. I'd already replaced my pads with DTC-30s the night before. The hope was that the ~100 miles of Friday commute and driving to the track would have helped to replace the pad material on the rotors.

The event went really well! As the day went on I picked up speed and worked on my line. With no wing, and all the weight out of the trunk the car gets quite "squirrely" under heavy breaking. I'm also not conivnced that the pads had fully bedded in. During braking, especially with some turning (ok I know I'm not supposed to trail brake yet, but it happened a few times ;)) i got some shimmy/pulsing.

During the second session on Sunday, my friends went up to the tower and took some unofficial lap times for me. I managed to get out in the beginning of the run group and got about 4 clean laps in before catching traffic. They said I was in the 1:35 range, which I think is pretty good! Considering my tires, and a more street-tuned suspension i'm happy with the results. I think I shaved off a second or two later in session 2 and in the last run session. I really worked on taking turn 10 (into the front straight) with more speed, and finally figured out a better line through the carousel.

After the last session on Sunday my instructor told me I was ready for HPDE 2, which I hear is a little unusual--typically they have you do at least a couple events in HPDE 1 before moving you up. I'm excited to do another event!

I was hoping for a pretty neutral setup with the car, but it appears to still favor understeer a bit. Perhaps I'll adjust the swaybars in the next few days to remedy that. I wish I'd had time at the track to do it, but the H2 car i was with was in constant need of attention and fixes, so it ate most of my free time.

I'll see if i can post up some pics later.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Re: Grinder's 07 STi. - First Track Day in the STi!

Here are pics, complete with watermark from the original source!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Re: Grinder's 07 STi. - First Track Day in the STi!

I was just reminded that my undertray came off on track. You can see it dangling in a few pictures above! I had my undertray zip-tied on, but it came undone somehow in my first track session. As it was bent backwards pretty might the whole left side of it ground away and I ended up throwing it out at the track. I PLAN on mocking up some cardboard in a fashion similar to this:
DIY Front Undertray - NASIOC or this: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-install/161079-skidplate-under-armor-made-easy.html
and then transfer the design to sheet metal

But I think i would add some louvers, similar to this:
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2070591-post18.html

More links (for later reference)
DIY Front SkidPlate/Aero diffuser - NASIOC
DIY splash guard/skid plate? - NASIOC
DIY Total Underbody Protection - DirtyImpreza Forums
DIY skid plate - NASIOC

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
DIY Undertray

I had this in its own thread in the exterior forum, but I'm copying it over here:

Here's the background. I removed my front subframe and attempted to merely zip-tie the factory splash-guard back into place. The splash guard came off on one side on the freeway (which i managed to fix) and then self-destructed on the track. I decided i needed a piece there, both for engine protection and for aero, but I couldnt find any undertrays that would fit without the front subframe:

Hey guys, so i've been talking with T3h_Clap and I think we're onto something (ok, it was mostly him).

Basically its a skeleton for the diffuser that will bolt to the car. Right now I'm thinking of just four mounting points:
2x front jacking plate
2x front frame (see pic below)

The front would be mounted to the same two holes you see his piece mounted to.

Now, on my car only ONE of those holes is threaded so I've ordered some nutserts to turn it into a threaded hole. If anyone's wondering the existing thread is M8x1.25, so that's what i ordered.

So into those two holes I'd put two long threaded rods, with a nut to keep them in place. The frame would mount flush with the jacking plate, and thread onto the rods. To allow different front clearances (for different lips, etc...) the front of the skeleton would be sandwiched between two other nuts.

I did a 30-second paint illustration:

The black is the front bumper and jacking plate. Blue is frame and bolts. Green are the nuts.

I plan on mocking up a skeleton/frame out of wood in the next week or so, and then seeing if a fab shop can make me something cheaply. Here's an example frame:

From there it would be easy to:
a) weld frame to the skidplate
b) bolt it
c) whatever else.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

It finally stopped raining so i managed to get outside and mock up a preliminary frame out of yardsticks.

In case you're having trouble reading dimensions:

Top: 36"
Middle: 27.5"
Bottom: 4"
Diagonals: 29.5" x 2

For a total of 126.5 inches, or just over 10.5 feet.

Depending on where I find metal (I think i saw in home depot today that they had some 10"x1"x1/8" steel and aluminium), you can definitely shorten bits here and there to end up at 10" exactly.

On the other hand, after assembly of a metal version, i may decide that it's not rigid enough and add more triangulation.

Other important dimensions:
jacking plate bolt separation: roughly 2.75"-3"
Frame bolt separation: roughtly 14.25"
Front-to-back-diagonal: roughly 22"-22.25"

I'll tweak it more and post up some dimensions later, but here are some teaser pics:

The two extra yardsticks are just to help keep the cardboard rigid while i tweak with it off the frame.

Well home depot has 36"x1"x1/8" aluminum bars for like $6 each or something like that. So i got four, but unfortunately i had to buy a lot of supporting tools too, but I'm sure I'll find good use for them!

Anyways, more details: The hole i was hoping to nutsert isnt big enough for the size thread (m8x1.25) as the threaded hole. My new plan is to spot-weld (maybe glue/epoxy) a nut in place on the underside of the beam over where the hole is. I also need to get a bigger drill bit to make the holes for the bolts in the aluminum. Once those are drilled I can then go about test-fitting and riveting the frame together. Then comes the aluminum flashing.

Hopefully more pics/details/instructions will soon follow!

I've got v1.0 of the undertray completed.

I've scrapped the original idea of the skeleton with the undertray attached, as my new material is significantly thicker and less "bendy." Its scrap from a friend's splitter project, so I'm not sure the technical name for it, but it consists of thin aluminium sandwiching some PVC. Consequently its very light, but very stiff and easy to work with. Ideally, i'd have the piece be maybe 4" wider than it is, but i got it for free so I can't complain. You can see that the piece isn't symmetrical, as one "wing" is bigger than the other. That's where i'd like the extra 4" on the other side.

Here's a pic of the cutout:

So as I mentioned before, the front frame has two mounting holes, only one of which is threaded:

I attempted to JB weld a nut over the second hole but i dont think i scuffed the surfaces properly and the nut was not very secure. I'm trying the JB weld again tonight. If that fails, I'll get the nut spot-welded in place.

For test-fitting I was unable to get the front passenger side properly secured, due to the lack of the threaded hole, but there *may* be a flutter issue with the wings of the plate. I've identified two holes on each side that i might use (either/both) if this ends up being an issue. If i decide i need to use those holes, it might require cutting a new tray, as the holes are very close to the corner in the big cutout towards the rear of the tray.

Here are the two mounting points to which I'm referring:

The hole closest to the front looks preferable to me, as it is farther towards the edge of the car. The plate is almost exactly 3" below the hole, so if i decide to use that mounting point we'll see if i end up with a spacer or just a sandwiched-nut type thing.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
It's been a while since my last update.

First, i got an AP for Christmas, so I immediately went stage 1.
Second, i got a GR STI TMIC and put it on.
Third, I got the ThermoTec Turbo Insulating Wrap, awaiting install.
Fourth, I just paypalled someone for a catted downpipe, so lets hope they aren't a scammer!
Fifrth, I removed the Secondary Air Pump from the engine bay.

I think i need to add a few items to my to-do list for the car including fabbing a new splitter to accommodate the larger TMIC.
I may also want to put some sort of screen over the TMIC to help protect it.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts