IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sometimes when i drive and bring the rpms past 3k, after i shift from 1st to 2nd, i hear a small crunch. has anyone noticed this? its doesnt do it all the time, but it just irritates me when it does happen. do you think synchros are going bad? or low on tranny fluid? maybe i should take it to the dealership? any advice for me?

thanks

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Not the synchros, but maybe the dog teeth on your second gear.....

Is there any discernable situation that causes this? If not, I would take it in to get looked at....

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I haven't noticed that. Could be you're shifting too fast for the synchros. There's no point taking it to the dealer if it's not reproducible.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
have you misshifted into 2nd at all or multiple times? Check your fluid and see what you find as well.

Robert~

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have grind 2nd gear only once, thats all. all the other gears are as close to smoothe, 2nd gear is the worse of all. sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesnt. 1k miles on my sti. im going in to dealer for oil change soon. maybe then i could ask them a few questions or so.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
well if its only 1k miles... then ya you probably still need it to break-in. Were you drivin it hard when you mishifted? cause if u were before 1k miles... then maybe it wasnt broken in and your slamming gears = problems possibly. Not blaming you, im just trying t to come up with ideas/suggestions.

Robert~

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
STi Business Card Cases.

i never drove the car pass 4k rpms just like the manual said. and i don't drag race either hehehe. weird. like it said it happens sometimes and doesnt others.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh btw the crunch isnt a loud loud crunch, it just feels like its grazing the gears and grind a small bit. im not sure if thats suppose to sound like that too. but it annoys me. i think i need a stereo to take away the distractions

·
Registered
382 Posts
My First Track Day at Second Creek Denver, Co

Yeah, i get that too when shifting at about 5500 with 3/4 throttle, if i go to redline or use full throttle it never happens. Strange Huh?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First door ding

oh btw, i checked my fluids recently, and it was half way mark between full and low even when warm and cold. is this a good or bad thing?

·
Registered
166 Posts
daytime pics

bekster43 said:
sometimes when i drive and bring the rpms past 3k, after i shift from 1st to 2nd, i hear a small crunch. has anyone noticed this? its doesnt do it all the time, but it just irritates me when it does happen. do you think synchros are going bad? or low on tranny fluid? maybe i should take it to the dealership? any advice for me?

thanks

Well, I got some news for you. After SOA replaced my 3rd and 4th synchro and the hub bearing.......... k, approx 1500 miles later I hear a soft crunch when going to secong on a 'cold' day; < 65-70. I also feel 2nd and 3rd a lil more notchy. SOmetimes I feel notchier thing while going to third. B4 it used to be SMOOTH ALL THE TIME.

Yes, Its on an STI.

Ill be calling SOA again to make a note in my case just to have documentation on the issue.

Mods:

- Stereo system

;)

I hoep this helps

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well, I think the STi has a 2nd gear issue - you got the cold lockout from 1st to 2nd, you got the intermittent grind (which I have too, mostly as it warms up), I have a cold lockout from 3rd to 2nd as well...and I have an overly notchy, gotta-push-too-hard warm downshift from 3rd to 2nd.

SOA had my tranny for a week, but they don't seem to have the paperwork that says what they did to it during that week, despite repeated requests. No change in my 2nd gear problems. The District service rep says, "I don't feel a problem", and "Well, the STi transmission is notchy", i.e., it's normal, but I'm thinking, "my sports car shouldn't shift like a truck".

Finally got them to agree to let me try synthetic tranny fluid. I know there's a lot of threads on this - anybody have the consensus on what fluid works best? Or maybe I should just turn the stereo up, stop granny shifting, and slam those gears? :wink:

Chris

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i got all my oils changed this past weekend. it came out great. 2nd feels a lot better then before. 1st seems to go in smoother. overall i spent 11.xx dollars on motor oil, transmission,rear diff oil at the dealer. thank you subaru mastercard for the subaru bucks =P

·
Registered
290 Posts
Im gonna revive this since Ive been feeling 2nd alot more crunchy recently. 8K miles on the clock. My second impreza, X'th car with a manual, si I know it isn't me. I honestly cant remember if my WRX did this but perhaps time to go talk to the dealer?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts