IW STi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have Defi BF Imperials (boost, oil temp, EGT).

The Oil Temp Sensor: THREAD SIZE 1/8NPT
Both Greddy Sensor ports are THREAD SIZE 1/8PT

AHHHHH banghead!!!!

I can only screw the Defi OIL TEMP sensor into the greddy sandwich adapter about 2 or 3 threads worth. That cannot be right. :confused: :confused:

Did I get the wrong Greddy Sandwich adapter? Does Greddy even make a SA that fits 1/8NPT

Fustrated as the Subaru GALLEY PLUG (part #11024AA210) was my first attempt at hooking up the OIL TEMP sensor with the same freaking issue! The galley plug seems to also be 1/8PT just like the Greddy SA .

Please can someone set me straight................thanks

·
pwn n00bs
18,247 Posts
everything is ok.

defi decided to make the oil temp fitting bspt instead of the normal npt the oil pressure uses.

the greddy adapter has two npt taps.
i have the same defi's and have the oil temp and oil pressure in my greddy one...dude, just put some sealant or teflon tape on the thread and start screwing it in till it stops.
get a wrench and work it on there..it'll go on and just keep working on it slowly until it pretty much stops.

i have no leaks...it's a lot easier cause tracking down a bspt to npt adapter is hard.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VSGTS14 said:
everything is ok.

defi decided to make the oil temp fitting bspt instead of the normal npt the oil pressure uses.

the greddy adapter has two npt taps.
i have the same defi's and have the oil temp and oil pressure in my greddy one...dude, just put some sealant or teflon tape on the thread and start screwing it in till it stops.
get a wrench and work it on there..it'll go on and just keep working on it slowly until it pretty much stops.

i have no leaks...it's a lot easier cause tracking down a bspt to npt adapter is hard.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
This is not the most elegant solution, but I did the same thing. Sealant in the treads of the sensor and crank the two together. :p

Don't over use the sealant.

·
Premium Member
4,416 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Greddy adapter has BSPT fittings and not NPT. Most Euro and Japan parts use PT (BSPT) and not NPT. I have Omori gauges that are BSPT. I originally purchased a sandwich adapter that had NPT. No luck. I then bought the Greddy sandwich adapter and all was well. FWIW, if you are screwing in the fittings by hand then, yes, they will only go in there about 2-4 threads before they start to bind. This is the nature of tapered threads. Put a wrench on it and you will get more turns. However, please do NOT wrench a damn thing until you verify the threads. I don't want to be the cause of something getting fubar'd. I have some pics somewhere ...

t

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys

What gets me is that I am trying to make this gauge install easier and I wish the company that I purchased these from would have said something.

I asked through PM's "Do I have everything?" "Is the kit complete?" and the answer was yes.

Well the kit was not complete so I ordered the sandwich adapter and still I feel that I am "forcing" threads together that don't really fit.

and all of this for $800 plus dollars :mad:

·
pwn n00bs
18,247 Posts
WolfPlayer said:
I'm pretty sure the Greddy adapter has BSPT fittings and not NPT. Most Euro and Japan parts use PT (BSPT) and not NPT. I have Omori gauges that are BSPT. I originally purchased a sandwich adapter that had NPT. No luck. I then bought the Greddy sandwich adapter and all was well. FWIW, if you are screwing in the fittings by hand then, yes, they will only go in there about 2-4 threads before they start to bind. This is the nature of tapered threads. Put a wrench on it and you will get more turns. However, please do NOT wrench a damn thing until you verify the threads. I don't want to be the cause of something getting fubar'd. I have some pics somewhere ...

t
The GReddy Oil-Filter "Sandwich" Adapter Plate offers 4 connections for different temperature and pressure sensors (3x 1/8 NPT. 1x M12x1.25)

they are npt, while the oil temp is bspt...

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Returning the greddy. getting the ProcessWest sandwich adapter. was told that has a 1/8NPT port!

will get here tomorrow

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
VSGTS14 said:
i hate all these measurement things
that's why i just wrenched mine in there with no problems.

Well, for people in the market for gauges. the Process West has the same 1/8pt ports like the Greddy. Absolutely the same. Was told 1/8npt, not true. The OIL TEMP Sensor fits the exact same...........:( :mad:

Thanks for the replies and the options

1 - 12 of 12 Posts