IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just wanted to share my experience with Safeco Insurance regarding my heavily modded 2006 STi. To give a little backround my car has about 15k in the engine bay alone and about 4k in suspension parts. I have no accidents or tickets (On record) and I'm 26 years old. I pay about $90 a month for full coverage (minus medical) on my STI and my Truck (2007 F150 Lariat ed.). My agent was fantastic when I first purchased my insurance policy and has been excellent ever since. Her name is Cheryl Tran Clay of C Tran Insurance Group near Seattle Washington (Hope she doesn't mind her name drop :) )

Now the accident:

I had just got tuned on the westside of Washington State and was driving back to the eastside (through mountain pass) and got hit by a heavy snow storm. Still on my summer tires I ended up sliding and smashing square into the concrete median.

To give a background on that storm it kinda came out of nowhere and on my exact same mile marker where I wrecked 12 others did the same thing within the next 10 hours. My car was the only one not deemed a total loss :).

After my initial damage inspection It looked like I had just thrashed my driver side wheels, bent control arms, bent trailing arms, and some other knuckle assembly parts. Literally no body damage was found. It just looked like I had some massive postive camber haha.

I was towed 3 times to get to the shop of my choosing in my hometown. The shop I choose was Riverside Collision in Kennewick WA. They also happened to be a preferred shop for Safeco Insurance. All three tows were covered by insurance.

First they cut me a check for my Factory BBS that were damaged. From factory they are 940 apiece. With my $1880 I preordered Enkei Kojins and BFG Rival Tires with some cash to spare :D, I will get those in about a month from now. In the meantime I have another set of BBSs with Dunlop Star Specs.

During the intial Estimate we included the front bumper because it ended up having plastic broken around one of the clips (Not sure if it was from accident). This was great cause I had small chips in my bumper from rocks and such.

All of the suspension parts damaged were stock except my coilovers. The OEM stuff was replaced with new OEM parts. My coilovers were 2,500 discontinued Cusco Zero-2Es. My Driver side rear coil was found bent. My policy apparently says It will only cover up to $1000 for aftermarket parts. They sent me a check for $1000, With that I purchased a replacement coil for my cuscos ($400 from japan) and took the rest of the cash and put it towards my new BC ER coilovers ($1850). I then plan on selling my cuscos to recover the cost of the BC ERs. I installed the Coilovers myself (Like I do all my parts) and went back to the shop to get an alignment which was still covered by insurance. On a side note I could have gone a cheaper route with the coilovers but really wanted those BC ERs ;).

So all in all I had a great experience. My agent and my insurance adjuster were on my side the whole time and helped me through the whole process. I would really recommend Safeco Insurance based on this experience.

To summarize I paid a 500 deductable plus some cash (depending on how much cuscos will go for) to get new wheels, tires, front bumper, and coilovers.

Also I will be updating my insurance to cover my aftermarket parts 100% to avoid that future $1000 dollar limit. Apparently they have that at Safeco.

·
Registered
9,165 Posts

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I have all of mine covered on my policy with Progressive. Thankfully I haven't had to use it (yet). Good job raising the awareness. :)

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
almost got dropped for claiming i have ~$3k in mods in the car last year, switched insurance few hours later.

F*cking Canada and it's BS.
yep they are all BS. My company who Ive been with for over 6 years told me if I modify anything in my engine then they cannot cover me. Just for fun I called several other insurance companies, same thing. They also told me not to modify the car with over $4000 in parts because only up to 4k in aftermarket parts will be covered (not bad but again can't be any performance parts). Asked around my local forum and basically everyone says don't say anything about engine mods is what they do, but if you get into an accident and damage anything expensive performance-wise, don't try and go claim that.

When I asked the insurance companies where I could get insured if I had a modified performance car and wanted it covered, they pretty much said I had to find a private broker who would cover that...sounds expensive. :(

I did have a good experience though with my current company when my first car got broken into, they replaced $2200 worth of sound system equipment and I don't remember my rates going up much, if at all.

·
Registered
998 Posts
You guys at least have choice, I can only use the one provincial insurance company which is BS lol.

Sorry for the thread jack OP.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I feel for you Canadian guys. That has to be really tough, expecially if you do have a ton of stuff and damage it. Isn't that the point of insurance?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I feel for you Canadian guys. That has to be really tough, expecially if you do have a ton of stuff and damage it. Isn't that the point of insurance?
yeah that's what I thought too...

'dont modify your engines or we can't insure you'....BITCH gimme a break. AINT NOBODY GOT TIME FO DAT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts