IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
[COLOR=#000000]STiLLsLow[/COLOR] said:
Short update. Cleaned the MAF, switched out the Cobb SF for the AEM cold air, and threw on your amazingly simple set up and fired her up. Still on Rev1 but logs were nice and ZERO STUMBLE. I haven't felt the stumble since going stage 2 and the 3 ft. extension but it was a great feeling when it didn't come back with the ID1000s as many have reported. Obviously we've got a good bit of tuning left to go with 93 and e85 so I'll report back once I get more seat time. Thanks again for all your help and extremely well put together product! Fit and finish is amazing and love the OEM look with quality parts!

Feel free to quote any of this or I can post it up in your thread as well, just lmk
Some feedback from STiLLsLow with ID1000's - after they get it all dialed in ([email protected]), he'll post up an update..

·
Registered
554 Posts
Some feedback from STiLLsLow with ID1000's - after they get it all dialed in ([email protected]), he'll post up an update..
And meant every word! It literally took less than a minute to install and looks great! I'll post up installed pics soon as well. I was picking up the car from a friend's place and he had to get to work so couldn't take detailed pics as everything went in but couldn't be happier about going with Funk's set up over the aeromotive fpr I had waiting to go on. This may be jumping the gun as Eric (Torqued Performance) has yet to fine tune the 93 map as well as E85, but I'm confident in saying that anyone with stumble issues should DEFINITELY opt for this set up over the over-priced IAP and Cobb "fixes." Obviously I can't speak to anything besides a stage 2 set up (TBE, intake, ebcs) plus fuel pump and ID1000 injectors, but if you have these mods or less, this should work for you. :tup::tup:

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Update

Here is how the lines are run, and shows how the regulator is bolted on to the metal bracket. Please make sure you remove the plastic bracket (which is clipped onto the metal bracket) which originally held the feed / return / and regulator assembly.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Quick update. Both 93 and E85 tunes are finalized and ZERO stumble on both fuels at partial throttle and WOT. Funks' stumble mod fix took care of it perfectly in addition to looking stock with OEM (if not better) quality. The ease of installation was an added bonus. Thanks again funks for a perfect solution!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Has anyone notice their injectors get louder after putting one of the stumble fix kits on? Because mine got so loud I can hear them working in the car with the windows up

·
Registered
554 Posts
Has anyone notice their injectors get louder after putting one of the stumble fix kits on? Because mine got so loud I can hear them working in the car with the windows up
Are you on stock injectors? I can't here my ID1000s at all from inside with the windows up, at least I haven't noticed them (and I notice every new sounds/rattle, theres a new one under my dash driving me nuts at the moment). I can't speak to any stock injector noise with the stumble fix as the fix and injectors went in at the same time.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
ScottaSTI said:
It might not be the injectors but the hard line coming through the Cabin. The stock setup has two dampers, one on the feed, and one after the regulator. My assumption is if one puts a damper after the regulator, you'll have less of the "fuel" rushing noise on the return hard line.

If you look at the OEM assembly, if you can somehow cap the crossover/balance tube correctly (the U-Shaped rubber tube that connects the feed damper to the regulator), it should work the same way as this setup. Dunno where to get a proper 5/16 ID cap that's fuel safe. and can handle the pressure (definitely not a vacuum rubber cap unless you want a car fire) - but if you can find one, remove the u-shaped hose, clamp the caps on both damper, and regulator with Oetiker clamps, get a tune and let us know. Not sure if the OEM setup has a more restrictive flow than the HOWTO, but should be about the same. Should also be cheaper to boot. Another option may be to crimp the crossover metal ports, then tig-weld the edges shut.

See below, damper after the regulator, and the crossover tube.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
If somebody wants to try blocking off the cross over tubes

4 count - Oetiker Clamps (14.5MM)
8 inches of 5/16 ID Fuel Injection Hose (SAE30R9) - cut in two pieces of equal halves (4 inches each)
2 count - Stainless Steel Hose Plugs - 5/16" ID
1 count - 3/4 Inch Black Heat Shrink Tubing 2$ (HST-750B) at Home Depot

Should do the trick. Fairly straight forward to assemble.

1) Remove OEM cross over tube
2) Put a plug on one of the hose, crimp with Oetiker Clamp (hose 1)
3) Plug a plug on one the other remaining hose, crimp with Oetiker Clamp (hose 2)
4) Insert Oetiker Clamp, Connect "hose1" to cross-over tube from feed damper, reposition Oetiker clamp past the hump on the hard line, crimp.
5) Insert Oetiker Clamp, Connect "hose2" to cross-over tube from regulator, reposition Oetiker clamp past the hump on the hard line, crimp.
6) Heat Shrink tube the Clamps

Guaranteed it aint gonna leak, and safe for any type of fuel (plug is made of stainless steel, barbed so once inserted int the hose ain't gonna back out, and the Oetiker clamp will guarantee nothing gets loose).

It'll even look more OEM than this HOWTO - lol :) and save even more bucks, then again - not quite sure if it works exactly the same (testers anyone?) but in theory - it should (and you get both dampers).

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think it's just the sound of the hard line like funks said. I can only hear it when the car is idling and when starting from a dead stop. I thought it was a rod bearing the first time I heard it and about capped my pants. :eek: But it definitely follows the timing of the injectors so I'm guessing that the lack of dampers is causing the harmonic in the hardlines to be more pronounced.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
To build one yourself after shipping, tax, tools and etc is around 160-165$ - not too shabby. The iaPerformance kit is around 210$ shipped, and the Cobb around 300$

I made a total of 18 of of these (running one in my car) and all the feedback I've gotten says it works (lots of them are quiet and happy with their cars, never posted - lol) - stopped making them (not worth it IMHO but a couple of ID1000 guys wanted to try it - feedback was great) but I do have the very last one in the FS section.

Save money, and use it towards a tune instead (I recommend Eric of Torqued).

·
Registered
229 Posts
For the large injector guys...this works. Getting tuned by Eric @ TP revision one...NO. MORE. STUMBLE. Still fine tuning some things, but initial thoughts and experiences are excellent.

Fit and quality rival OEM. Hardest part of the install was disconnecting fuel lines from firewall. I have a trick for this now...

Take a pen cap (sharpie worked great), cut it to be about 1" long, then cut a slit so you can open it like a C, wrap it around the hardliners and slide it in to release the clips voila.

Great stuff man.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I lucked into a 2005 FPR assembly on eBay for $60 shipped. I'm installing it this weekend. I'll post pics.���� any comments on the DW65c in conjunction with this mod?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
I hope it's brand new, you don't want a used FPR. Take pics when you get chance. Is it a regulator, or complete with hose assembly, fittings and such.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I hope it's brand new, you don't want a used FPR. Take pics when you get chance. Is it a regulator, or complete with hose assembly, fittings and such.
I actually ditched it and picked up the recommended unit by the OP...I don't want to blow my motor for a lack of $80:tup:

41 - 60 of 128 Posts