IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I've seen lots of random threads here and there about wings and extensions, but I was hoping I could bring them all together into one place, so I don't miss anything.
Recently, I purchased a wing extension from RPG carbon for my 2012 Sti hatch, and the item looked amazing out of the box, but it became apparent upon mounting that the molding wasn't perfect, and the part was defective.
They have indicated to me that they are revising the mold to correct this, but in the meantime they are giving me a refund.
Based on my experience, I am looking at different options than the RPG extension.
I am aware of the wing riser kit (the spacers/washers to raise the oem wing), the RPG extension, the Perrin gurney flap, and the Varis/ Varis replica wing, but I was wondering if anyone knows of other options that are available, that I may be interested in.
Pics below of my RPG piece loosely fitted, and one of the Agency Power/ Vivid Racing Varis replica.

Reactions: JFAZ

Registered
I found a slightly more subtle version

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found a slightly more subtle version
Thanks for that! Looks a lot like the Perrin, but without the exposed hardware.

I'll be keeping my eyes open to see what else there is.
Realistically, I'd be hoping to find something that is between the RPG and the Varis in size and complexity.

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The more pics I see of hatches I think they might look best wingless actually.
Ehh, I think I prefer the sti wing at a minimum.
I mostly want to do "more" because I've done skirt extensions, window visors, rear aprons, etc. so the stock sti wing looks a little small now. I'd like to try to go the same or larger than the RPG piece, as I was happy with the size, but unhappy with the quality.

Registered
Ehh, I think I prefer the sti wing at a minimum.
I mostly want to do "more" because I've done skirt extensions, window visors, rear aprons, etc. so the stock sti wing looks a little small now. I'd like to try to go the same or larger than the RPG piece, as I was happy with the size, but unhappy with the quality.
View attachment 61773
Haha definitely you鈥檙e not the 鈥榳ingless鈥 type :LOL:

I was thinking more like this though ;)

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha definitely you鈥檙e not the 鈥榳ingless鈥 type :LOL:

I was thinking more like this though ;)
Yea I took a photo of what you are showing, and photoshopped it flat.
I am down for the wingless look on sedans with a clean trunk line, but on hatches and sport coupes im more into a nice clean duckbill that either follows the roofline/body lines, or juts out at a complementary contrasting angle.

Here is the wing on my first car. I opted to go with the 'drive-e' wing off the european eco model over the R wing that was more upright. In this instance it was smooth and complimented the body lines, but was bigger and more obvious than the impreza wing. The wing that came on the car was a 2" "no wing" and it made the car look economy.

Registered
Yea it鈥檚 tricky with hatches because of the lines. Can get carried away very easily.

If I had to have one on the Impreza I think I鈥檇 like it flat and jutting straight back. Otherwise go with the detached style shown in the OP.

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea it鈥檚 tricky with hatches because of the lines. Can get carried away very easily.

If I had to have one on the Impreza I think I鈥檇 like it flat and jutting straight back. Otherwise go with the detached style shown in the OP.
Just found this image! I'm gunna reach out to the site it was on and see if they can provide any more information!

Registered
Go big or go home! Totally going back on what I just said :LOL:

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Go big or go home! Totally going back on what I just said :LOL:
My sti (That I picked up in late 2018) was supposed to stay a mostly stock daily.... then mild stage 1... now it's a tasteful stage 2, and I've joined a forum, and I'm browsing headers, inlets, and stumble fixes (protune) :ROFLMAO:
The only thing stopping me from dropping in an IAG block with a gt35 is that I have a weekend car that is full street-trackmod, so I still gotta drive something in the snow!

Reactions: a5m

Registered
My sti (That I picked up in late 2018) was supposed to stay a mostly stock daily.... then mild stage 1... now it's a tasteful stage 2, and I've joined a forum, and I'm browsing headers, inlets, and stumble fixes (protune) :ROFLMAO:
The only thing stopping me from dropping in an IAG block with a gt35 is that I have a weekend car that is full street-trackmod, so I still gotta drive something in the snow!
Haha that鈥檚 what happens man. These damn forums are to blame :LOL:

My plan was the same. Keep it stock. I鈥檝e already bought a ELH, TMIC, and now looking at struts/springs and downpipes. So yea, enjoy it and no regrets!

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just found this image! I'm gunna reach out to the site it was on and see if they can provide any more information!
View attachment 61778
If anyone knows this wing, I'd super appreciate being pointed in the right direction!
I reached out to the company who's website I found the photo on by email and insta, but no response...
I'm on the verge of getting the nod to return my RPG piece, so I hope to grab something before my winter wheels come off!

Registered
If anyone knows this wing, I'd super appreciate being pointed in the right direction.....
Looks like the CF version is not available anymore but the FRP version is

Premium Member
Do the air slots on top help keep the rear window cleaner?
I believe the intent is to have some air flow to break the vacuum behind the car while the upper, major surface area is for downforce. In effect, it does help keep it cleaner.
I have considered adding a Gurney Flap, but the car handles so well at speed that I hate to change anything unless I go up from my 470 WHP or 285 Hoosiers...

Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Looks like the CF version is not available anymore but the FRP version is
I'm not looking for the Seibon wing, or a rep.
I'm actually looking for the wing in my photo above, on the white sti with the "Takata" sticker on the rear window.
It doesn't appear to have those vent breaks in it, but it does appear to be quite a bit longer.
The top corners aren't as sharp as the Seibon wing ("GT Concept Wing"), and the sides are two curves that wrap under instead of two angular curves.
I'd like to see it from another angle, but if it fits the bill, I'm ready to buy if it's not completely unreasonable!
Seibon/GT Concept:

???:

Registered
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.