IW STi Forum banner

81 - 100 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Re: Why is it normal for the brakes to squeak?

Performance cars uses break pads that are combined with metal. That's why it squeaks. It's actually louder at low speed going reverse. You'll notice that it'll sound much like an 18 wheeler truck stopping. So yes, it is normal to make that noise.
There are two real solution to this problem. 1) Accept the fact that you're driving an STi and it will never go away or 2) buy ceramic break pads to get rid of the sound but you'll burn them up quicker and it won't provide the stopping power.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

I have an 09 STi and my brakes no longer squeak. I upgraded to diversified cyrogenics frozen rotors Stoptech Stainless Steel Break Lines and ATE Superblue fluid as well as Cosworth Streetmaster brake pads. I promise what tingkka suggests is untrue. My car both brakes in shorter distances and has been showing good wear characteristics and they are very quiet.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts

Performance cars uses break pads that are combined with metal. That's why it squeaks. It's actually louder at low speed going reverse. You'll notice that it'll sound much like an 18 wheeler truck stopping. So yes, it is normal to make that noise.
There are two real solution to this problem. 1) Accept the fact that you're driving an STi and it will never go away or 2) buy ceramic break pads to get rid of the sound but you'll burn them up quicker and it won't provide the stopping power.

Hope this helps.
There's a 3rd option... Buy some high-temp grease and coat the backs of the pads and the shims. Should eliminate 80%+ of all the noise.

·
Registered
139 Posts

I have an 09 STi and my brakes no longer squeak. I upgraded to diversified cyrogenics frozen rotors Stoptech Stainless Steel Break Lines and ATE Superblue fluid as well as Cosworth Streetmaster brake pads. I promise what tingkka suggests is untrue. My car both brakes in shorter distances and has been showing good wear characteristics and they are very quiet.

I'm not saying all metal break pads squeak. Perhaps my statement might seem like it. Each composite pads will interact differently. It really depends on how the metallic composites act with the rotors. It's metal against metal in some points. with less friction, there's less noise. some metals will allow you to apply more force without noise. That's where your wallet comes in.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Stock breaks, screeching.

'11 STi, got it almost a month ago. Everything is stock. Yesterday I noticed screeching sound in my breaks, doesn't happen continuously, but its there. Before I take it to the dealership, can anyone give me an idea on what the problem is? I thought it was something with the caliper but I could be wrong. Thanks in advance! :tup:

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
You failed to inform us when it happens. First thing in the morning? Every time you hit the brakes? Small taps?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Re: Stock breaks, screeching.

You failed to inform us when it happens. First thing in the morning? Every time you hit the brakes? Small taps?
To those replies on top, yes I know that they're performance breaks, and yes they're going to screech. But my problem is that its not a normal screeching sound, its violent and ear wrecking. That was my fault for not being specific and its usually in the afternoon, and small taps just to slow down. Going into a full stop is horrible, it sounds like an old junk car just being pulled out of the junkyard.

Im not new to performance cars, my previous car was an '02 nine eleven. Couple of screeches here and there but not as serious as my STi.

I'm new to Subaru! apologies for acting newbish.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts

My stock brakes were specifically noisey in reverse backing out of the garage in the morning. Like crazy loud. Also some normalish brake noise in the last 5-10 mph when stopping.

It may be something sketchy if it gets louder with more pressure. Rebedding isn't a bad idea though before you waste a day taking it to the dealer. I know my track pads are horendously loud once they scrape off the transfer layer from driving them on the street before/after events. So I don't doubt rebedding could really resolve the issue.

·
Registered
75 Posts

My BRAKES also squeal a little in the AM backing out of garage thats my only brake issue with 1100 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: 2010 Sti: Low speed braking noise ?

My 2010 is just coming up on 6K miles, most of them by my wife.

When approaching stop signs, or other low speed stops, I head a goofy noise that sounds almost like a grinding brake pad at times. Pads are fine, car is inact.

Anyone else getting this?
My 2010 STI makes the same noise and I really understand your post. I will try to replace the brake lines with better ones and see what happen.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Re: 2010 Sti: Low speed braking noise ?

same here, i'm at 1500 miles and the brake dust is unbearable.

Just washed my car, used wheel protectant, took a trip around the block and they're covered in brake dust.:tdown:

squeeking as well

81 - 100 of 140 Posts