IW STi Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Re: GR/GD/ '15+ Interior/Exterior Carbon Fiber Order Bank NOW TAKING NEW ORDERS!!!

Fred's USDM audio panel. Shifter surround rework should be done tomorrow. Shipping out Friday after everything dries sufficiently. Melomood's stuff should be done this weekend. Rest of the orders are close as well.

Also, I set up a Facebook page for your enjoyment. It'll have a lot of the same pictures as this thread but I'll be offering some deals periodically on new orders. Look me up on Facebook at Carbon Designs.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Re: GR/GD/ '15+ Interior/Exterior Carbon Fiber Order Bank NOW TAKING NEW ORDERS!!!

FredNYRN's reworked order on its way out the door. It's a beautiful day here in the mountains of Western Maryland so enjoy the natural sunlight pictures.

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #163

Melomood and Bigsheep, I didn't snap any pictures, but your orders have been sanded down, and have two layers of correction resin drying waiting to be sanded this weekend and then finished and shipped. If you guys wouldnt mind shooting me a PM with your address and I'll get you a shipping quote.

For everyone else who is interested in placing an order, I am now including shipping in the price so we don't have to do these shipping quotes. It's a pain in the ass and inconvenient on both sides. Any questions, shoot me a PM or post up. Thanks guys!

Matt

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #164

Melomood, here's your order. The resin wasn't quite dry yet so it'll have to wait another day. The humidity of summer is making this take longer than it did in the winter. I expect to have everybody's order shipped and delivered by the end of next week.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab

·
Registered
369 Posts

Melomood, here's your order. The resin wasn't quite dry yet so it'll have to wait another day. The humidity of summer is making this take longer than it did in the winter. I expect to have everybody's order shipped and delivered by the end of next week. Image Link

looks great! cant wait to install it!!:D

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #166 (Edited)

Guys, I unexpectedly had court Monday for most of the working day and then again on Tuesday morning. It ruined most of my weekend and I got almost nothing done including my personal errands. I just sanded down melomood's shifter surround but I put another layer of resin on the audio surround two days ago and it still isn't hardened yet. Unfortunately things are gonna have to be pushed back for a few days. I'll keep this updated as I have vacations coming up soon and want to at least get these orders finished before I leave. Thanks guys.

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #167

Almost done. We're getting there.

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #168

Melomood, clear coat goes on tomorrow. Wet sand and buff saturday. In the mail monday.

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
I need feedback from everyone who has gotten orders as to whether or not you had indentations from the bubble wrap on your order. I have had one order back a few times because the heat literally warmed the piece up so much that the bubble wrap was imprinted onto the clear coat. I'm currently shopping around at body shops to determine if it would be feasible to drop all completed orders off at once and get them clear coated that way. Then ship everything out at once.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I have small smudge at one place. I never thought that's what it could be. You have to know it's there though, so not an issue for me.

edit: there's a guy on nasioc weapping fender badges. he's been having the same issues. even the coloring in the bubble wrap would overlay onto the badges.

Why not wrap it with packing paper all around before the bubble wrap ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
I feel like the wrapping paper would have the same effect. I'll shoot him a message and see if we can come up with something together because I've been following his work for a while.

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Yeah the guy's name is Mike and he said he uses an infrared light and can spray and package within 45 minutes.

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Back from vacation and found out that I need the infrared light so Fred if you wanna give it a week or so for me to get this thing in and ship your order back I'll get it redone hopefully for the last time.

Mike on NASIOC packaged and shipped a test part to someone in Arizona I believe he said and had no issues. So I think this will be the cure.

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Makes sense - that's what dentists use to cure composite fillings.
You have no idea how frustrating it's been lol. I just want to turn these things out and make sure that they aren't screwed up. It's very unsettling to know that even though it left my hands in perfect condition and arrives to you guys looking like hell. But... hopefully this will be the last drawback. Now I just need to get this thing in! I'll keep you all updated. I can get the resin added on and sanded down obviously before the light gets here, but having the light would cut down dry times for the resin also. Stay tuned!

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
No picture updates but I have been sneaking in some work when I have a few free minutes. Melomood's order is getting wet sanded and clear coat sprayed tomorrow, then it'll dry for a day and I will be baking the clear coat for a few minutes at a time to ensure the hardener is working properly. I'm not going to give estimated dates as to when things will be done because of the variations in my work schedule and the fact that it's summer and I have a lot of things going on in my personal life. Just know that any free time I have is making sure that these orders are being, at a minimum, worked on with a new layer of resin or a quick sanding job. Thanks for being patient and sticking with me here.

As a matter of progress I have finished adding layers of resin to Melomood's order and I have gone through the 440 grit sanding process. Next comes wet sanding and clear coat to be added tomorrow hopefully with baking and finishing occuring monday and tuesday. I also expect to have some extra time to finish up Bigsheep's order. I just need to fill in some gaps on his audio surround, with full sanding in the works and repainting of black trim. Thanks guys!

-Matt

·
Banned
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
Here's a few shots of Melomood's audio surround. It went through baking four times at 175° and looks super glossy. It was baked once after complete sanding, once between each layer of clear coat, and once after polish and buff. Melo, your order should be done tomorrow as planned and I will be following the same baking procedures for that piece. Look for another update tomorrow.

161 - 180 of 186 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.