IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long and short of it.... :oops:
did NOT street race, (would never, too dangerous) BRIEFLY punched it in second, eased into third and BAM a 500.00 speed racing ticket in my hands. All for doing 45 (maybe 50) in a 35. I am seeing an attorney on monday.
Has any of you had to deal with this?
thanks
Amy

·
Registered
84 Posts
Where were you located at?
Any other cars involved?
Was the police ahead or behind you?
What were the road conditions?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
My only one so far (knock on wood) was in a 40 or 45 zone doing 55-57 but the officer claimed 63. He gave me a $330 ticket. No "speed racing" was cited or anything like that, and he didn't mark anything about demeanor or anything negative which there were options for. But I was never doing 63 and I think he miscalculated because I accelerated from a stop and was slowing back down and he had to race to catch up to me because he was way behind me on the road when I did it.

Conditions were very wet and dark as it was a rainy night. Lots of traffic, but none going my way (I had just made my free right at an intersection, everyone else was going perpendicular to me and behind me, or headed the opposite direction). Bottom line, no one else was near me at all except for the cop who accelerated around another car and through the intersection to catch me, by which time I was already slowing down as I was not planning on doing any further speeding. Unfortunately it was too late. :cry:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in Eugene,
turning onto the ferry st. bridge,
no other car involved.
EPD was behind me.
road was dry. dark
studded snow tires on car. (04 sti)
no mph given on the ticket.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speed racing is a class A traffic citation, not a crime but with far greater consequences than a 'normal" speeding ticket. As I stated earlier, the fine is 500.00, insurance companies like to cancel your policy with this conviction, It puts you in the same 'risk " as drunk drivers. (which is ironic because I was driving two drunk people home)

I believe I received the ticket under the "exibition of speed or acceleration" portion of the discription. It is written so vaguely that anyone who accelerates from a stop to the speed limit with an officer watching is guilty. (or at least that is my take on it)

My former spouse is a Sgt with Lincoln County and his first ???? (after LHAO) was, "did you bark the tires?" as that is the standard for "exibition of speed or acceleration" in his county. (i did not)

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I have a lot of respect for the majority of police officers and the job they have to do, but they need to pull their heads out and figure out what is risky behavior and what is not. Accelerating quickly up to the speed limit on an empty road (no one to run into from behind) in a car built to handle triple-digit speeds with ease, and with great traction, is hardly a freaking risk of anything other than getting a stupid ticket. :evil:

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Write your congressman. :)

Sorry for sounding stupid... thats what people always say to do when you want something changed. I dont know how that would get anything changed tho.... but if it works we should try. With all the performance car forums there are online I'll bet we could get MILLIONS of people to sign a petition to change traffic laws.

·
Registered
19 Posts
stealthback

Most people just let traffic tickets slide and pay for it in the long run so good idea on an attorney. Sounds like an easy ticket to fight so I would be surprised if your attorney doesn't make it disappear. It costs the state more to fight it than to dismiss it and traffic tickets are all about state income. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
pull their heads out and figure out what is risky behavior and what is not.
Good God, 'Paws! Where would it end? What if people actually began to think for themselves? We'd have to retool the whole of society, lol.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
sciolist said:
Good God, 'Paws! Where would it end? What if people actually began to think for themselves? We'd have to retool the whole of society, lol.
You're right. What was I thinking? We need a few localized major disasters instead. :lol:

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Who's roaming around Farmingdale, NJ?

We need a few localized major disasters instead.
I'm afraid that comparatively speaking we *are* a localized major disaster. At least we have cool cars though!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool JDM WRX pic with JDM fogs

After talking to the attorney, I am going to plead not guilty, talk to the DA and see if we can work out a plea agreement for a speeding ticket. i will cost almost twice the face value of the ticket to fight. :cry:

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Re: Not the hum!!!!!

Yes but its not the face value of the ticket that I would worry most about, it's whats going to happen to your insurance if you take the ticket....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is my husband that owns The STi, I have a fully paid for 00 focus. I have just paid my insurance in full for the next six months, IF they pull my record then I will drop my coverages to liability and uninsured motorist, to keep costs down. BTW Kip and I are not on the same policy. In three years when this ticket is off my record we will combine policies.... until then, no new car for me. And no driving the STi unless at the track. :-?

·
Registered
19 Posts
$1000 seems pretty high to me. Even $1000 would probably save you money in the long run. Depending on your insurance company your rate could go up drastically for just one ticket and it stays on your record for three years.

I talked with a traffic attorney a while back that had a $300 flat fee. Said she had been to court almost 2000 times in the last few years. She had NEVER lost a case. I don't think it was so much as she was really good as it was that the state simply does not want to butt heads on little stuff like this. It is not cost or time effective for them. I would shop around for a different attorney.

·
Registered
963 Posts
RadarOnPaws said:
sciolist said:
You're right. What was I thinking? We need a few localized major disasters instead. :lol:
OK you guys are frightening me... the next thing you'll say is that we might get to the point where we don't HAFTA do what everyone else does...

·
Registered
963 Posts
sciolist said:
do what everyone else does...
You mean get fat, have babies and watch network TV? I've tried. I'm just not up to the task.
Well I got two of the three, but I can't bring myself to watch network TV.

I was thinking more of stuff like... let's say...

"I'm voting for John Kerry not because I really believe what he stands for, or that he'll be the best president out of the candidates, but only because everyone else is voting for him and he's going to win anyhow, so why tax my brain with thought?"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts