IW STi Forum banner

161 - 180 of 1545 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #161 (Edited)
Re: Got2Boostit2's 2004.7 STi "Lucille" Grattan Video's added Post 157

Here is a picture of me ahead of a supercharged Lotus Elise that posted a video on Youtube running almost exact speed and lap times as I was on a few laps. I'm impressed by this car and driver. I attempted to hold him off a few times and was faster in some corners, but he was reeling me in other corners.

Here is his video link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHPi1lY9hDw

·
Registered
2,249 Posts

Not to defend the '06 driver, that was most likely his 5th or 6th time on that track. I've attempted to run at that track for the past 4 of 5 years and "should" know it well. I don't, still learning my car and the track. The '06 is stage 2 with swaybars only I think. He doesn't keep a journal and I cannot remember all that is done to the car.

I hope to be able to post the final video with some data from the DL-1 data logger I was using sometime in the next week or two. It requires me to learn the merge routine for the video and data file so I may have to play with that a few times. The final video has me trying a better line and I was able to put together segments which rendered the best time ever for me at that track. So I am pleased and still basking in the afterglow of two track days in a row.

That track is rough in spots as you could clearly see my mass moving at times. Last fall they repaved the straight-a-way as well as turns 1-4. My understanding from hearing the track owners conversation was they will be repaving the remainder of the track this fall which should eliminate more of the bumps. Clearly it unsettles the car, if I remember, I try to avoid the bumps. After riding with a GTR driver who claims on the GTR site to have run 1:29 at that track (bike record = 1:18) attempting to follow his corner entry and exit lines rendered me my best time. I hope to review and run those lines upon my next visit to this track.

Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate them. Consistency and being smooth is my goal. I'm extremely happy with the cars performance considering the changes I've made. Really Love the fact that I can stand on the brakes and have them their lap after lap over the course of the day. Makes me :D every end of a session.
The 06 guy was definitely driving that car to it's max and sometimes a little over. :lol: If he learned the track better and didn't overdrive the car in a few of the corners I bet he'd lay some really quick times down for the car he's in!

I can see the GTR doing really well at that track because I am sure the computers will sort out any disruption the track or driver throw at it. Being that it was designed at the ring which is really hairy in parts I bet it's right at home at this track. Glad to hear you figured out an optimal line!

No problem, you seem like a good driver who knows the limits and can keep it in control well.

I hear you on the brakes thing! It's a nice comfort knowing that no matter what you can always stop quickly and reliably.

What are you running your dampers set to? The car looked pretty tidy through most of the track.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #163

The 06 guy was definitely driving that car to it's max and sometimes a little over. :lol: If he learned the track better and didn't overdrive the car in a few of the corners I bet he'd lay some really quick times down for the car he's in!

I can see the GTR doing really well at that track because I am sure the computers will sort out any disruption the track or driver throw at it. Being that it was designed at the ring which is really hairy in parts I bet it's right at home at this track. Glad to hear you figured out an optimal line!

No problem, you seem like a good driver who knows the limits and can keep it in control well.

I hear you on the brakes thing! It's a nice comfort knowing that no matter what you can always stop quickly and reliably.

What are you running your dampers set to? The car looked pretty tidy through most of the track.

I'm going to have to dig into my notes on the damper setting, don't really remember at this time. I was going to start buying turbo upgrade parts this fall, but now think I'll be fine tuning what I have the remainder of this season. I'll look to freshen the rubber, get that fresh rubber on the RPF-1's and concentrate on just driving next season.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #165

Looks great Darryl, I wish I could have made it up there. What tires are you running on? Brake pads?
Yeah it was good times and great weather! I'm running an old set of Nitto Nt-01's 235/40/17. I really like those tires. Currently on stock rims. I plan to refresh with either the 235/40/17 or 255/40/17 Nt-01's on 8.5 inch RPF-1's.

I'm running Performance Friction Pf-01 pads/stock rotors on the front with TIC titanium inserts and RCE cooling ducts on the backing plates. I have yet to run the ducts as I need to change the bumper beam. Running Ferodo 2500's and stock rotors on the rear. Appears to be a good combo for me right now.

Data shows I was in the 1:33-1:34 range when not tired or in traffic. On Saturday there were 60 cars there all day pretty much. I got several good clean runs in on Sunday as there were only like 35 cars or so present. I keep saying this, good times in spite of my scare on Saturday.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts

I'm going to have to dig into my notes on the damper setting, don't really remember at this time. I was going to start buying turbo upgrade parts this fall, but now think I'll be fine tuning what I have the remainder of this season. I'll look to freshen the rubber, get that fresh rubber on the RPF-1's and concentrate on just driving next season.
Sweet man! Good luck learning more and dialing everything in. I'll keep my eye out for updates. Keep it up. :tup:

By the way, I just watched the second video. Good job keeping the car in control when you went off. It looked like you had it and then it just looped around on you, but you still managed to prevent any serious drama. I bet your face = :eek: at the time. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #167

Sweet man! Good luck learning more and dialing everything in. I'll keep my eye out for updates. Keep it up. :tup:

By the way, I just watched the second video. Good job keeping the car in control when you went off. It looked like you had it and then it just looped around on you, but you still managed to prevent any serious drama. I bet your face = :eek: at the time. :lol:
Yep, it was a wide-eyed butt pucker moment. The law of averages caught up to me. There is a neat article on spinning in this months SCCA magazine. I didn't remember to do any of that stuff. Was really fortunate that the area was smooth and wet, along with that angel I think was riding with me. It could have been ugly! First 10 minutes of the first session of the first day. I certainly did not want to be the story of the weekend.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #168

I'm adding this video link of the Lotus that was running identical full course times and speed on the straights. It is supercharged, this is the son driving. The father posted a video and is about 1-2 tenths quicker. I'll try and find it. Why do I post? They have data integrated into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHPi1lY9hDw

Supercharged Lotus @ Grattan. This is the yellow Lotus in post 161.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts

I finally hooked speakers up to my computer, so I was able to watch all your videos. The Stubaru has a 20G, but you were able to keep up because of your suspension, correct?

Random question... We both have some form of an X brace. I'm sure you noticed a difference like I did. Does the harness bar provide any similar benefits like that?

I return on September 3rd, yay school. I just know you've been wanting to have fun dialing in my alignment. Plus, I may need you to install some odds and ends that I can't do. You also get to roll the rears if you want. My stock tires are on their way out, so I thought I'd get some new rubber, hopefully on RPF1's if I can sell the gold BBS ones. By then I'll have put a down payment on whatever you want.
I was going to start buying turbo upgrade parts this fall, but now think I'll be fine tuning what I have the remainder of this season. I'll look to freshen the rubber, get that fresh rubber on the RPF-1's and concentrate on just driving next season.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #170

I finally hooked speakers up to my computer, so I was able to watch all your videos. The Stubaru has a 20G, but you were able to keep up because of your suspension, correct?

Random question... We both have some form of an X brace. I'm sure you noticed a difference like I did. Does the harness bar provide any similar benefits like that?

I return on September 3rd, yay school. I just know you've been wanting to have fun dialing in my alignment. Plus, I may need you to install some odds and ends that I can't do. You also get to roll the rears if you want. My stock tires are on their way out, so I thought I'd get some new rubber, hopefully on RPF1's if I can sell the gold BBS ones. By then I'll have put a down payment on whatever you want.
The Waterford event, the Stubaru had a sick turbo which most likely helped it eventually went out later in the day, but my suspension changes helped at that track which is short and very technical. I could late brake him in some area's and because the straight a way is short I could just about keep up. I could tell he had a horsepower difference right before the braking point at the end of the straight. At Grattan, I could really tell he had an horsepower advantage because of the longer straight. He would kinda walk me in the straight, but then his suspension setup and brakes vs mine would show up, I could late brake him in the tight areas and close the gap, but then back to the straight and he'd walk me. :rolleyes:

The X-brace made a bigger difference versus the harness bar. The B-pillar area on the Subaru is pretty stiff. I'd like to see some video on that brace you guys are using.

Whenever on your car, I hope to be done with the two cars that are in the way by then.

Also, 3Balls is going to Grattan again most likely Sept 12, then Waterford Monday the 27th. You could come out to Waterford and do a ride a long with someone. I'm done for the season (promised da wifey) but will be out to take pictures with my 100-400 lens.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #171 (Edited)

Today I needed me some STi! Yeah, babyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! Had not driven car on street since before Grattan, which meant before the RCE Tarmac 2 and some bushings were installed. Drove with bald NT-01s and maxed out camber. Went to A2 for an errand or two, some some city streets and lotsa highway.

When I got on the highway and the tires built heat the vibration from tire sitting (flatspotting) ceased, the car was docile. Noticed a white G35 in my rearview that apparently took exception to my aggressive merge manuever and wanted to play tag. Well, I was a bad boy! ( I had told myself not to be an idiot behind the wheel, well that didn't work!) I ended up shaking that turkey! Gosh, was it easy! Car felt very nimble, even though there has been no alignment yet, tracked somewhat straight, very little wander. The T2's are set at whatever (same as seller sold to me). The damping is way better than stock, impact harshness is virtually not present versus stock struts and RCE Yellows. I was thinking, this the way the car should have been when new! There was slight bobblehead in the worst area of the E-way, but extremely reduced over the past combo, very similar to the bobblehead on my other ride.

Overall, car goes where pointed, just brings a very large smile to my face! Can't wait to get alignment done, other little bits installed and the RPF1's & RE-01's back on it to street it this Autumn and Fall!

RCE T2's FTMFW!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Re: Got2Boostit2's 2004.7 STi "Lucille" I Needed Me Some STi Post 171

Ah, that reminds me of the time I was following you to Woodward. The Mustang and Camaro kept downshifting and going WOT for two seconds. You took off and ditched them in a blink of an eye. Meanwhile I was thinking: I'm going 80! :eek: I don't go faster than 75 in Ohio. Darryl! How you get so far ahead? I'm going to go a steady speed and just hope they go away... OTS map, too scared to floor it.

I got my $5 ready for the ride of my life.

·
Registered
16 Posts

nice ride man, im really diggin your suspension work you have done. Keep it up!

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #174

nice ride man, im really diggin your suspension work you have done. Keep it up!
Thanks for the kind words. Glad I kept at it, wish it could have been sooner in the life of this vehicle, but so goes the battle sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #175

Well, the second set of aluminum lateral links came in so I started removing bushings to prep for polishing and TIC bushing install. Links look pretty good, except whoever had them before me jacked up the car using the aluminum links so there are scuffs, slight bend in one. Plan is to clean rustproofing off, polish,install TIC bushings and install on car for evaluation. Will have some before and after images. Also, once installed I can add a set of bushings to the polished links that are already on the car, than that set will be up for sale. Any takers?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts

Bummer about your links...

I am anxious to see how a 255/40/17 NT01 sits on the stock wheels. That's a sick tire! I've heard the wheel may roll around a tad within the tire because they're pretty fat for that width a wheel, but regardless you're gonna get AWESOME grip! I wanted to move to a 255 on my wheels, but decided against it for that reason.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts

Well, the second set of aluminum lateral links came in so I started removing bushings to prep for polishing and TIC bushing install. Links look pretty good, except whoever had them before me jacked up the car using the aluminum links so there are scuffs, slight bend in one. Plan is to clean rustproofing off, polish,install TIC bushings and install on car for evaluation. Will have some before and after images. Also, once installed I can add a set of bushings to the polished links that are already on the car, than that set will be up for sale. Any takers?
sweet !!!

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #178

Bummer about your links...

I am anxious to see how a 255/40/17 NT01 sits on the stock wheels. That's a sick tire! I've heard the wheel may roll around a tad within the tire because they're pretty fat for that width a wheel, but regardless you're gonna get AWESOME grip! I wanted to move to a 255 on my wheels, but decided against it for that reason.

You think 255 on an 8.5 inch wheel will move around?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts

You think 255 on an 8.5 inch wheel will move around?
Yeah, a little. I wish I had higher quality pictures of the 245's on my wheels. They fit pretty snugly on there, although every tire brand produces different sizes of the same size tire slightly. You know? If you've ever felt a tire that's too big for the wheel that it's on it feels like a fish flopping around on the deck of a boat. :lol: I don't intend to spoke you because 255's aren't THAT huge for our OEM wheels, but it is a pretty meaty tire. Don't stress about it, you're gonna make loads of grip from those tires, but I would be curious to know if its all that noticeable.

161 - 180 of 1545 Posts