IW STi Forum banner

181 - 200 of 1545 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #181 (Edited)
Re: Got2Boostit2's 2004.7 STi "Lucille" I Needed Me Some STi Post 171

So back to the lateral links. Got impatient and did a quickie polish on one of the links so I could install the TIC bushings. Here are comparision picks:

Pretty easy to swap bushings. Most likely will finish the other links and install on car sometime next week.

Image of link currently on car from last year, (trying a different polishing method this year):

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #184 (Edited)
Re: Got2Boostit2's 2004.7 STi "Lucille" Polished Lat Link TIC Bushings Post ???

damn those came out shiny as hell.
Yeah they did...any tips you could share on how to make them look this good?

:naughty::naughty::naughty: Whatcha lookin' for..... one of those Joey Lisano write-ups with pictures?

Give me a minute.

Items used:

WD40 (dissolves the underspray)
Shop towels (blue) Sam's Club multi-roll
3M Ultra fine wet/dry sandpaper (to be followed with W/D 1500/2000 grade paper)
Air drill with headlamp polishing pad
Special secret compound (some street rod stuff)

Write-up with images to follow either here or in the How to section.

Updated post 181 with images of the stock hand polished links currently on car. Will be swapping these for the polished links with TIC lateral link bushings installed.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #185 (Edited)
Re: Got2Boostit2's 2004.7 STi "Lucille" Polished Lat Link TIC Bushings Post 181

How I cleaned and polished my aluminum lateral links.

1. Use WD40 to clean the undercoating off of the links. Apply a liberal amount to desolve the undercoating.
2. Using wet/dry sandpaper Ultra fine or 1000 grit or finer, wet sand the complete surface of the links.
3. Using a metal polish of your choice like Simichrome, apply an amount to a polishing pad. I used a old headlamp polishing pad installed in a air drill.
4. Polish to the appropriate luster. I cleaned it then polished with Eagle One "Never Dull" polishing pads which I also use to periodically clean the links on the car.

Sure, I could have cleaned the WD40 bottle, but I broke the nozzle right before the image was captured and said $% it.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #187 (Edited)

So what would you do? Should I consider a engine build this winter? I said I was going to run this combination next year to fine tune the suspension and then look to build the engine afterwards. Should continue with my original plan or complicate things by doing a build and possibly spending all season next year fine tuning an engine build as well as the suspension?

If I were to improve the engine it would be:
20G XT Blouch TD-06 clipped
1000 cc injectors
TGV deletes
External wastegate routed back into exhaust
Forged pistons (brand to be determined)
Improved bearings both crank/rods
Ported heads
Change valves/springs
Kelford cams
Couple of other items
ARP headstuds
Balanced internals
Cobb AP V2 Protuned (seek out Doug from Topspeed)
Upgrade oil pump

Decisions:
Upgrade crank and rods while apart
Go 3071 rotated P&L kit versus 20gxt
Change turbo back from current
Buy packaged shortblock versus using current block and having local machine work done and self assemble

·
Registered
344 Posts
Re: Got2Boostit2's 2004.7 STi "Lucille" Engine Build Question Post 187

Darryl, i'll take you for a ride and then your decision will be a no brainer! We will talk off thread. Upgrade FTMFW!!

·
Registered
870 Posts

Darryl, those lat links look beautiful!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #190

Darryl, those lat links look beautiful!!!
Thanks, they are even more impressive after getting some products from Wizard. :D

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Darryl Single scroll is so yesterday

Garage Tuning Twin Scroll Turbo Kit

These guys are difficult to deal with at times in the sense they r slow, sometimes parts r not complete but they get it right....takes some patience

Or if u wanna go a bit more $$

Full-Race Motorsports

Lately Rallispec blocks have been great.

Hope this helps make ur decisions tougher :p

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts

As long as you can comfortably afford it, I'd say you should do it; however, the last I heard, your house was getting more mods than the car.

It seems like you have a detailed idea of what you want in your engine. If no one makes or will make one to those specs, I'm sure it'd be pretty cool to say you built your own engine - just have to make sure the machine work and clearances are flawless.

I'm a fan of a rotated turbo with a TiAL 0.63 A/R turbine housing, either the 3076R or the 35R depending upon personal preference. I liked the AMS turbo kits, but now they changed the turbos, so I feel dumb since I only speak Garrett, FP, Blouch, and some BW. I believe TopSpeed is using the AMS turbo kits, but with the Garrett turbos. I'm sure Doug would know all about them.
Supposedly, Full-Race has some secret project in the works that's going to revolutionize the community, but I'll believe it when I see it - I'm assuming a VGT on a Subaru.

If you go through with this, the Stubaru will have to call an executive meeting and go back to the drawing boards.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #194 (Edited)
Re: Got2Boostit2's 2004.7 STi "Lucille" Stick a Fork in it Post 194

So is Lucille done for the year?

Story kinda goes like this:

The other day I changed wheels/tires back from stock rims with NT-01's to the Enkei's with RE-01's. Took a friend for a ride and stopped by my brother's house. My nephews were egging me on to pull a holeshot when I left, so I attempted to oblige. FAIL!!!!!!! Something popped and now I have a vibration above 50mph!!!!

When to a dent removal party today and all I felt and heard was vibration and some type of rumble above 50 mph. It was wet today and with all the crap I have to do over the next few weeks, it will be a while before I get a chance to look at it. Since the "dings" are removed, oil is changed and the body just needs to be cleaned and the cracked windshield needs replacement. I may pull the plug on this one early. Look at that crap later when I have more time. Kinda pisses me off, I was planning a little road trip but the the vibration and rumble is horrendous. That's what I get for giving in to that little child that still resides within me!

Oh, and I could also hear the right rear sounded like the inner pad making metal to metal contact. time for some new rear Ferodo's. May as well wait til I get the new NT-01's which is a 2011 item at this point. I hate when isht breaks!:mad:

N e way.......the driver's door and both front fenders look new again after Josh worked his dent removal magic today. :cool:

·
Registered
792 Posts

So what would you do? Should I consider a engine build this winter? I said I was going to run this combination next year to fine tune the suspension and then look to build the engine afterwards. Should continue with my original plan or complicate things by doing a build and possibly spending all season next year fine tuning an engine build as well as the suspension?

If I were to improve the engine it would be:
20G XT Blouch TD-06 clipped
1000 cc injectors
TGV deletes
External wastegate routed back into exhaust
Forged pistons (brand to be determined)
Improved bearings both crank/rods
Ported heads
Change valves/springs
Kelford cams
Couple of other items
ARP headstuds
Balanced internals
Cobb AP V2 Protuned (seek out Doug from Topspeed)
Upgrade oil pump

Decisions:
Upgrade crank and rods while apart
Go 3071 rotated P&L kit versus 20gxt
Change turbo back from current
Buy packaged shortblock versus using current block and having local machine work done and self assemble
When my car was protuned we cranked the boost. Anything past 21 PSI resulted in ZERO gains in HP and only a handful (like 5 max) in torque. This moved the torque line slightly to the left. My guess is the line shift is more the waste gate staying closed longer then anything.

We backed the boost back down to 21 (nice and safe) as more boost didnt gain much. Since we could gain boost, but no power it is my guess the real hold back is the turbine size.

You can gain some power with intakes, headers, cams, porting, or any thing that adds to better breathing, but in the end you still have the stock turbo plugging things up.

I have read the stock block is good up to 450-500HP, with a set of pistons. My plan is to drop in some MAHLE 4032 pistons, for a tighter cylinder to piston clearance, a 20G turbo, and 850CC injectors (as recomended, by my tuner) and get an E-tune.

Cams will most likely move your torque line to the right, and for a road track car not the best direction to go. Head porting is always good, but unless your going big, is not the best bang for your dollar.

Im up in the air about the TGV deletes as there is not alot of good info on how much of a gain there is. Cold idle may suffer alittle.

I plan on sticking with the stock intake, but I like the sleeper look. I have been told this may hold the power back some. You may want to look into this also.

My biggest fear is getting a car that doesnt start, idle, and always run great reliably, because I over modifed it. I watch Stu put in some blazing laps, but it seems he is in the paddock after 10 minutes tinkering with something. Some guys just love tinkering, not for me.

Last thing Im not sure about is keeping her cool. More power = more heat. When we ran at Road America it was 88 degrees. My temp gauge never tipped above half. My friends super charged Mustang kept running hot. He has plans for an upgraded radiator. I will start a thread to see if anyone knows.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts

So is Lucille done for the year?

Story kinda goes like this:

The other day I changed wheels/tires back from stock rims with NT-01's to the Enkei's with RE-01's. Took a friend for a ride and stopped by my brother's house. My nephews were egging me on to pull a holeshot when I left, so I attempted to oblige. FAIL!!!!!!! Something popped and now I have a vibration above 50mph!!!!

When to a dent removal party today and all I felt and heard was vibration and some type of rumble above 50 mph. It was wet today and with all the crap I have to do over the next few weeks, it will be a while before I get a chance to look at it. Since the "dings" are removed, oil is changed and the body just needs to be cleaned and the cracked windshield needs replacement. I may pull the plug on this one early. Look at that crap later when I have more time. Kinda pisses me off, I was planning a little road trip but the the vibration and rumble is horrendous. That's what I get for giving in to that little child that still resides within me!

Oh, and I could also hear the right rear sounded like the inner pad making metal to metal contact. time for some new rear Ferodo's. May as well wait til I get the new NT-01's which is a 2011 item at this point. I hate when isht breaks!:mad:

N e way.......the driver's door and both front fenders look new again after Josh worked his dent removal magic today. :cool:
Where's the vibration coming from? Any other things you notice? Sorry to hear about this mishap. **** happens though...

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #197

My biggest fear is getting a car that doesnt start, idle, and always run great reliably, because I over modifed it. I watch Stu put in some blazing laps, but it seems he is in the paddock after 10 minutes tinkering with something. Some guys just love tinkering, not for me.
All good information, but the most important to me is this ^ quote. Arrive and drive is my motto, the shop is the place to tinker, not the track IMHO. If I was competing, it would be different, but since this is about the fun factor, no tink, tink trackside! ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #198

Where's the vibration coming from? Any other things you notice? Sorry to hear about this mishap. **** happens though...
Other then brake pad scrape, no other noises. I might have a break next week to slip it on the hoist and take a look. Since I drove it 80 + miles yesterday it may be something simple. Darn, that drivers door looks good without that dent! Gotta be positive about something~!:lol:

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Re: Got2Boostit2's 2004.7 STi "Lucille" --Done 4 the year -Darn!!!!- Post 194

Boring! And now the weather is getting worse. Looked at the outlook for the next 30 days and am now getting depressed. I need a plane ticket to Florida or Cali this Thanksgiving! And I really wanted to go to SEMA this year, now that is out as well.

Oh, well there is always next year.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
Re: Got2Boostit2's 2004.7 STi "Lucille" --Done 4 the year -Darn!!!!- Post 194

Well, since I might be budget constrained next year due to some renovation which will be priority. I'm considering converting to E85 versus the engine build route. Give that a try for next year.

So stock turbo, upgrade injectors, modify fuel rails etc, and E85 tune.
Plus Zeitronix Ethanol Content Analyzer and GM flex fuel sensor.

181 - 200 of 1545 Posts