IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Hmm

I went to visit my friend at the Mitsu dealer last night, ofcourse he tried to sell me an Evo 8 as he heard I'm going to purchase the STi.

They don't allow test drives on the Evo 8 and didn't have any on the lot. He called his friend who has one and the guy showed up 30 min later and took me for a ride.

First impressions: Feels pretty solid, the seats rock they are so comfortable, I like the looks and the interior isn't too bad, although not as nice as the STi.

Performance wise, it lacks the low end of the STi but explodes with power after 3000 RPMs. The engine sounds pretty nice, but doesn't growl as the STi. The driver mentioned he test drove the STi and it felt like a V8. He likes the way the Evo's turbo kicks in, oh well...each to his likes.

Car corners like it's on rails. We took a turn at 45 MPH or so and the car handled beautifully, he got the back end to swing and come back and exit the turn real well. I was impressed.

Overall: I figured I'd checkout the competition just to get a taste of it and while liking the Evo 8, I still like the STi better, the interior is nicer, and the bigger engine/less boost is more attractive to me, giving an explosive low end "V8 feel" to the car.

P.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Speaker Baffles

I had a great time when my friend (who's also got an EVO) and I traded cars for 20 minutes. I think we're a bit spoiled with the low-end torque as he couldn't stop talking about it after he came back with my car. ;)

Granted, I do like my STi . . . the Evo does seem to handle better in stock form. . . and it was a treat to get to drive a very similar car that actually has some turbo lag so I could experience that "push" of the turbo. :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
You guys are lucky :eek: We dont even get the EVO so we really don't have something to compare the STi to. I wish I could of test drove the EVO but thanks to our wonderful "bumper regulations", that wont happen anytime soon. ( I suppose thats why the STi was such an easy decision :D )

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
id like to test drive an evo, eventhough i smoked one really nice when it had some moderate upgrades. but the only thing that turned me off from the evo was the interior and the mits motors suck, sorry no offence to the evo owners but i worked on them too many times. ah well, id still like to take one out just to know the feeling behind the wheel of the evo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts