IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm about to hit 40 and decided to celebrate it, it has to be as cliche as it gets and the new 2019 mx-5 fits that perfectly as I wanted something totally different from an Sti, lightweight, rwd, convertible.

So the journey of getting a mid life crisis car began, went to have a look at Mazda and Jeep for the new wrangler. Needless to say, my life with cars has never been a smooth one. In my country, Mazda wouldn't import what I wanted in my wishlist while Jeep hiked up the JL wrangler price 58k usd for a base model. This was way overpriced so I happened to stumbled into a neighbouring dealership and bought a Focus RS.

Let's just say, I'm very happy with the new car and best of all. I get to keep both.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
What country? Congrats! Those are fun cars. I park between two nitrous blue ones at work and I'm very jealous of the color.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brunei. The Focus RS is a sweet car indeed and it is a lot more comfortable than my 2013 Sti plus it really brings out the hooligan in me with those pops and crackles. It's not without its fault but I'm very happy I have both cars at the same time. And yes mine is a Nitrous Blue :)

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
i also just turned 43.. my midlife crisis car was a 911 turbo, which made me quickly realize i was in a midlife crisis and sold it - only to get another STi.

oh, and mtb too!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I initially wanted to get a motorcycle for mid life crisis but wife says no. Those mountain bike interest me as well but I never got into it because there aren't many trails where I live. And due to parts are all imported, they are very costly.

I only clocked 96km on the Focus, haven't been driving it as I wanted to get mud flaps on it before I destroy the paint job. It comes with pilot sport Cup 2 and that is spraying a lot of debris on the paint, already got a huge chip behind front fender after one drive so I'm not taking chances. This car will strictly stay unmodded.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I initially wanted to get a motorcycle for mid life crisis but wife says no. Those mountain bike interest me as well but I never got into it because there aren't many trails where I live. And due to parts are all imported, they are very costly.

I only clocked 96km on the Focus, haven't been driving it as I wanted to get mud flaps on it before I destroy the paint job. It comes with pilot sport Cup 2 and that is spraying a lot of debris on the paint, already got a huge chip behind front fender after one drive so I'm not taking chances. This car will strictly stay unmodded.
That's what they all say.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Mt bikes are awesome, but the learning curve is steep and unforgiving, there's lots of crashing involved. Most pay with lots of cuts and bruises, and at least a couple of fairly serious injuries.

Here's my bike, an '18 Trek Slash. It recently got a new Fox X2 rear shock, a Vorsprung air piston for the Fox 36 fork, and some wheels with P321 hubs and DT Swiss rims.

I did a couple of Enduro races at Crested Butte and Aspen this year, it's good motivation to stay in shape and keep working on skills.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I just got a new car too, more of a third life crisis though I guess :lol:

Good call by your wife. I love motorcycles, but there's no denying they're incredibly dangerous no matter how good and safe a rider you may be. Riding around surrounded by idiots in 3,000 lb+ cars is sketchy.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got a new car too, more of a third life crisis though I guess

Image Link

Good call by your wife. I love motorcycles, but there's no denying they're incredibly dangerous no matter how good and safe a rider you may be. Riding around surrounded by idiots in 3,000 lb+ cars is sketchy.
Slurp slurp... One day I just might...

·
Registered
251 Posts
Mt bikes are awesome, but the learning curve is steep and unforgiving, there's lots of crashing involved. Most pay with lots of cuts and bruises, and at least a couple of fairly serious injuries.

Here's my bike, an '18 Trek Slash. It recently got a new Fox X2 rear shock, a Vorsprung air piston for the Fox 36 fork, and some wheels with P321 hubs and DT Swiss rims.

I did a couple of Enduro races at Crested Butte and Aspen this year, it's good motivation to stay in shape and keep working on skills.

https://postimages.org/Image Link
Dave, If these were the BME events. You were racing with my Son then. He did all 4.
Let me say if you can keep up with the kids doing this (and living) you are doing well.

He also races for the Fort Lewis College mountain bike team.

Dave

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just got a new car too, more of a third life crisis though I guess :lol:

Image Link

My wife made me give up motorcycles before I said "I do".

It didn't help that I had had 2 very nearly deadly accidents (both due to Semi trucks being driven by idiots with me sliding under one of them) in the 2 years before we got married.

So being around idiots driving 50,000lb vehicles isn't good either.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Dave, If these were the BME events. You were racing with my Son then. He did all 4.
Let me say if you can keep up with the kids doing this (and living) you are doing well.

He also races for the Fort Lewis College mountain bike team.

Dave
Yup, BME races are not easy...

I hope he did well! :tup:

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
The struggle for me not to upgrade to a more refined, higher end car has been real for me. I like my STi, but I also don't like it. :)
I can tell you from experience, a twin-turbo v8 with a clutched auto, multi-mode suspension, and 1,000,000 times better interior eases the pain of selling the STi.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts