IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removed the inlet baffle the other day. Was not too keen on using duct tape to seal around filter box and the air inlet scoop. I went to Auto Zone and picked up some "Metro super soft door weather strip"(1-3/16"x3/4" part number mw00100). It worked like a champ! It holds the air scoop in place nicely and really sealed out the engine area. I also took out the o ring in the airbox that is supposed to seal around the baffle because the air box seals great against the weather strip with a bigger diameter opening. The fwd strip can be cut to 14" long and the aft 13" long. Don't know how much it helps but psycologically it seems better since I know there is no hot engine bay air getting sucked into the intake.
--Sin52

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.S. Sorry, I'm a mental midget when it comes to computers so it took forever to get the pictures added. --Sin52

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One more picture, I might be getting better at this!
--Sin52

Attachments

M

·
0 Posts
Looks good, :)

Personally, I just used speed tape, but your application is just as effective.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mistkerl, Do you mean speedtape, real speedtape(metaltape about 3" wide) or duct tape? I had no luck getting a good tight seal on the airbox to the quarter panel with duct tape. did you remove the rubber o-ring on the end of the air box for a bigger opening? Do you have any pictures? One thread said he/she used pvc pipe. Pictures would help other members doing this decide on an option. One last question, did you notice any difference after removing the baffle and sealing out engine air. Throttle response seemed to improve a little bit I think.--Sin52

M

·
0 Posts
I mean real speed tape, :) I can take a picture and show...

Ok took some pics, but left my camera adapter at work, I'll post them tomorrow morning. Basically, I completely covered the hole.

I didn't use PVC pipe, but almost. I used some rubber ducting hose from a DC-10 (approx 3" diameter and around 4" long).

The only thing I really noticed was the sound improvement, if there is a power gain it is probably very minimal. I do feel like it must be breathing a lot easier though after seeing the design of the piece I pulled out, :)

M

·
0 Posts
Ok here are the pics:

The orange piece is the part i added so that the air would be sucked in from the fenderwell.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Help! I need a front bumper!

Looks good Mistkerl, and effective. I like the orange piece idea.
I ordered the turboxs shorty intake but don't know if I'll use it or return it. They showed gains on the dyno but I have heard mixed reviews about aftermarket intakes --Sin52

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
you should also try the $5 2.5 RS fender wall piece... that way it looks stock and professional, would be a nice touch

Robert~

·
Registered
236 Posts
I put a piece of rectangular "Intake hose" there, got it at local automotive store!
it works REALLY great! directing the air directly from the duct to the airbox! the air is cold, and ramed!

the hose is 4in x 2.5in! you can also twist it to a U! so that the air will travel from the air duct into the U then directly into the airbox! it works good!

works just as good if you have short Ram Air intake!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
staticx313 said:
you should also try the $5 2.5 RS fender wall piece... that way it looks stock and professional, would be a nice touch

Robert~
Hello Robet, I ordered the Turboxs shorty intake on the 13th of Oct. I'm having some doubts about keeping it. I have heard mixed reviews about after market intakes. Just want your opinion about suspected power loss/gains. I have no other mods done to this car yet. I am waiting to see what Vishnutuinig has up their sleeve. --Sin52

·
Registered
647 Posts
I hear a lot about intake resonator removal. Is that just the snorkel piece attaching to the box or is it the piece coming from the grill back towards the box or something else? Most instructions and pictures I see are of different bits and it's all very confusing.

RN

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Borders in Schaumburg tonight (10/30)

renichms said:
I hear a lot about intake resonator removal. Is that just the snorkel piece attaching to the box or is it the piece coming from the grill back towards the box or something else? Most instructions and pictures I see are of different bits and it's all very confusing.

RN
I left the snorkel to keep positive air flow into the quarter panel so I don't suck air from the seam between the quarter panel and the black plastic. I have no proof if this helps but it seems like it might help. The piece we are removing is in the wheel well. See the pics above for ideas. --Sin52

·
Registered
85 Posts
hey guys, you talking about the big container inside the fender looks like a water container, did you remove that and put something like a pvc pipe instead inside the fender, right.
I have a injen cai installed in my sti I'm thinking of removing it because it feels the car is slower than b4, So I'm thinking of putting back the stock airbox without the big container in the fender, Is this sound right or should I put everthing back all together.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PINOYWRXSTI04 said:
hey guys, you talking about the big container inside the fender looks like a water container, did you remove that and put something like a pvc pipe instead inside the fender, right.
I have a injen cai installed in my sti I'm thinking of removing it because it feels the car is slower than b4, So I'm thinking of putting back the stock airbox without the big container in the fender, Is this sound right or should I put everthing back all together.
Yes, we just removed the big container inside the wheel well. Myself and Mistkerl posted pics of the final product. I just installed the Turboxs short intake last night. I drove at different speeds and rpms for about 60 miles. I did some roll on throttle in 6th from 60-80 and didn't notice any loss or improvement. Its hard to butt dyno but the car seems to have better response in the power band. In 4th gear at 3000rpms it seems to pull a little better and it does quite well off the line. I don't dump my clutch from 4500 rpms very much. Rolling at 20mph and mashing the throttle and the car takes off really well. I drove about 60 miles one day prior to this with the perrin lightweight crank pulley installed and still had improvements over that as far as I can tell. I live at about 4300 feet above sea level. --Sin52

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
8) yes a very good mod....and almost free. and busted open by the pop rivets but thats ok :p i can actually hear the stock bov and the acceleration is much better i would reccomend this...but i still plan on adding an aps cold air intake......the saga continues....

·
Registered
93 Posts
On my car I added the Injen CAI and it seemed a little stronger, I live in Juneau Alaska and we are about 18 to 26 feet above sea level. I also added Alchohol injection the day after the CAI

1 - 20 of 23 Posts