IW STi Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I iwll need a new clutch very soon. Any recommendations on a good DD clutch for an 80-mile-a-day, in-traffic, commuter?

·
/////////
8,448 Posts
Hmmm I drive 120 miles a day and raked up 25000 miles so far, launched countless of times and my clutch is still awesome.
OEM baby.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
OEM is too muchhh, they want 800 for that man. ACT street i think is the way to go.. Apparently the few ive let drive the act 6 puck and they dont like it LOL steve and spencer care to chime in?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
OEM or ACT Street clutch. My OEM clutch survived 30k+ miles, 120 hard launches at the dragstrip (40 with the GT35R) and countless street launches. It died after a track rental where I launched the car 26 times in an afternoon with most of the launches off the rev limiter. Still holds as long as I keep the boost under 20psi.

I'll let you know how my RPS 6-puck and ACT Prolite flywheel are for daily driving next week. I expect it to be a bear to drive.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
jays05 said:
OEM or ACT Street clutch. My OEM clutch survived 30k+ miles, 120 hard launches at the dragstrip (40 with the GT35R) and countless street launches. It died after a track rental where I launched the car 26 times in an afternoon with most of the launches off the rev limiter. Still holds as long as I keep the boost under 20psi.

I'll let you know how my RPS 6-puck and ACT Prolite flywheel are for daily driving next week. I expect it to be a bear to drive.
That's a lot of torture.

I launch my car 6-12 times a month depending on how many autocrosses I go to. So far so good.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Any organic disk clutch from any manufacturer will be a great dd clutch, popular choices that come to mind are ACT, Exedy, RPS and Spec. If I were you I would stay away from any puck style of clutch, they usually don't last as long in daily drivers, but they are able to hold lots of power. You are also able to get different pressure plate strengths. I know that with the RPS that I am installing that you could get one that is able to 500 lb.ft. of torque, 400 lb.ft. and another one that I cannot remember, but those numbers are at the crank.

It might also be a good idea to get your stock flywheel resurfaced, as opposed to the lightened flywheel. For reference the stock flywheel is a two step, meaning that there are two areas to be milled, each at different heights. A two step flywheel is usually around $100 to get resurfaced, since they have to set the milling machine twice.

·
Registered
710 Posts
You will have damaged areas on your flywheel that the clutch will not be able to grab onto it since the step that the clutch grabs onto is worn and the step that the clutch does not engage has not lost any material height. Also it could be out of balance, which whomever resurfaces it will balance it. If you have a significant amount of miles on it you might also want to consider getting a new pilot bearing. I bought a used flywheel off a member here and had it resurfaced. The pilot bearing, which is right in the center of the flywheel and is a blue color, was catching when I rotated it in my hand. I bought a new one from subaru and it cost $22. The pilot bearing is an item that your local subaru parts department will not carry in stock and you have to order in advance.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I think I'll keep an eye out for a used flywheel. Sometimes it can be hard enough to get people together for a quick clutch change, I'd rather not have to pause in the middle of the job because the flywheel needs to be taken somewhere.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
steve <3s my clutch

1 - 13 of 13 Posts