IW STi Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
934 Posts
I paid $400 for the whole set, $100 a wheel. They did a fantastic job, but what I realized now (and after alot of research...controversial) they powder coated the back of the rim that sits against the hub. I have noticed some vibration at high speed, and that has declined since removing the wheels and cleaning, but makes me think to mention...tell the shop to not powder coat or mess with the hub portion of the rim!
A few years ago I ordered a set of custom wheels for my other car from Forgestar (bleh).

At the tire shop they couldn’t balance a pretty bad vibration out of the rears, sending me videos, so they didn’t mount the tires and offered to either hold the fronts or pull all 4.

Forgestar insisted the wheels were fine and that it’s the tire shop’s fault.
They were using brand new tires on a roadforce so I knew that was bullshit.

After some back and forth, I drove an hour back to the shop I ordered from and dumped it on them to deal with.

Wheels were sent out to a wheel repair place where they put them on a machine to spin them and read what was wrong.

Turns out, wheels were fine, round and wobble free, but Forgestar had painted the mounting faces and the uneven finish was preventing the wheels from being bolted on evenly.
Wheels were 19x10 so this only made the issue more obvious.

After some time on an elaborate lathe to grind the mounting face bare, tires balanced out perfectly…. It just took several days of arguing over IM and 2hrs of driving to get that sorted… on brand new wheels.

Motto of the story; don’t paint the mounting face, and don’t buy Forgestar wheels lol

·
Registered
2020 STI
17 Posts
I paid $400 for the whole set, $100 a wheel. They did a fantastic job, but what I realized now (and after alot of research...controversial) they powder coated the back of the rim that sits against the hub. I have noticed some vibration at high speed, and that has declined since removing the wheels and cleaning, but makes me think to mention...tell the shop to not powder coat or mess with the hub portion of the rim!
Crucial part of this which I'm glad you mentioned, as I had no idea.. Thank You for that.

·
Registered
2020 STI
17 Posts
Nice wheels, I was just thinking that I may need to put mine on soon here in 15226.
View attachment 64289
Sorry to ask but do you by any chance have more/different pictures? or angles? I honestly LOVE the way this looks!!! Also because our windows are tinted the same(Dark) shade, Only difference I see, are the rear spats. We didn't get them. Either way, I love the look!!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sorry to ask but do you by any chance have more/different pictures? or angles? I honestly LOVE the way this looks!!! Also because our windows are tinted the same(Dark) shade, Only difference I see, are the rear spats. We didn't get them. Either way, I love the look!!!
Unfortunately I do not. I don't have many pics with those wheels on as that is the setup I run in the winter. I just switched over to summer mode, here is a shot of that setup.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all, been creepin on here for a while, figured I'd finally post something. I bought my 2019 STi earlier this year in February. I finally had my winter setup finished and dropped it on the car today! I got a set of 2020 OEM wheels and had them powder coated gold...I can't stop staring at it! :love: Just thought I'd say hi! Located in KY! View attachment 64271 View attachment 64272
How can I order these rims?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all, been creepin on here for a while, figured I'd finally post something. I bought my 2019 STi earlier this year in February. I finally had my winter setup finished and dropped it on the car today! I got a set of 2020 OEM wheels and had them powder coated gold...I can't stop staring at it! :love:

Just thought I'd say hi! Located in KY!

View attachment 64271 View attachment 64272
Hi! How do I go about getting this done. I have the exact same wheels just need them powder coated or need to buy them already done

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi! How do I go about getting this done. I have the exact same wheels just need them powder coated or need to buy them already done
I do not believe you can find a set of the 18+ STI cast wheels pre-sold in Gold. You would need to have your wheels coated.
The color is Spanish Gold. If you happen to be in the Pgh area look up Totally Baked Powder coating in Freedom, PA.
Great guys...really good at their craft. Check them on IG.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts