IW STi Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i am going to go stage soon here in the next month i was woundering if anyone had any ideas on anything else i should get to help it out. right now i have ap stage 1 with typhoon. going to get a aps 3 tbe no cat. and i am going to get a protune by scott all around the same time. now the question is should i invest in pulley or fuel pump or anything like before the tunning that might help scott out. any thoughts would be great.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I will say you will be impressed. I got tuned by Scott in Atlanta last Tuesday. I will say that the Typhoon kilss your low end power and torque until you get tuned. I was absolutely amazed at the low end difference that came out after the tune.

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
plenty of people have been protuned w/o a pump. I'll be getting tuned in a few days with a typhoon and cobb tbe.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Muffnbluff said:
plenty of people have been protuned w/o a pump. I'll be getting tuned in a few days with a typhoon and cobb tbe.
Yeah but then you are just a turbo/injectors/tune away from 400whp...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so you think guys think i should invest in a walbro 255. and keep the typhoon since i am getting a protune

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
now i here people talking about heatshielding there typhoon what extactly does this mean i only have the shield that goes with it. is there anything else i can do with the intake to make it better so there isn't so much hot air.

bye the way thanks for the insight guys

·
Registered
335 Posts
Most protuned stage 2 cars don't need a fuel pump. But it can't hurt to install one now. You'll probably need to do it later. Besides I was told that if you get tuned on the stock pump and then install a 255 it's possible to start running rich, but thats no big deal.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Trum1982 said:
now i here people talking about heatshielding there typhoon what extactly does this mean i only have the shield that goes with it. is there anything else i can do with the intake to make it better so there isn't so much hot air.

bye the way thanks for the insight guys
Try to make a shield between the radiator and the intake. Also, maybe cut your snorkle so that it blows right on the filter.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rcharles said:
Try to make a shield between the radiator and the intake. Also, maybe cut your snorkle so that it blows right on the filter.
can you elaborate on that i am not what that means. any pictures or write ups would be great. i only know what mine looks like if someone had a modified typhoon with pics that would be great.

ps should i get a turbo inlet too.

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
neal0124 said:
Most protuned stage 2 cars don't need a fuel pump. But it can't hurt to install one now. You'll probably need to do it later. Besides I was told that if you get tuned on the stock pump and then install a 255 it's possible to start running rich, but thats no big deal.
Afuel pump upgrade will not cause the car to run rich. The only job of the pump is to send fuel to the fuel rail. The regulator sets the pressure at the rail and the injectors only use what is required. The rest is sent back to the fuel tank via the return line to wait it's turn to go back. A higher flow pump will only cause more fuel to be returned to the tank unused. The pump upgrade really only shines IMHO when the engine approaches a level of fuel requirement that the stock pump cannot sustain. At that point the fuel pressure can fall off as well as pulses in fuel pressure due to the injectors opening and closing. Also be aware that the highest pressure that a fuel pump delivers is at it's lowest flow rate and vice versa. A larger pump again IMHO allows for more consistent fuel delivery and fuel pressure as well as more headroom for larger power increases.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Trum1982 said:
can you elaborate on that i am not what that means. any pictures or write ups would be great. i only know what mine looks like if someone had a modified typhoon with pics that would be great.

ps should i get a turbo inlet too.
I havent done it yet, just some info I got the other day during my tune, If you look at the area between the passenger side top of your radiator and the Typhoon, use high temp plastic or something else to try and block the heat radiated from the radiator. If you are getting your tune, you will be astonished at how the intake temp affects power when you see it on the computer.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Interesting...

neal0124 said:
I only have experience with send/return fuel systems where the fuel pressure regulator routes excess fuel from the fuel rails back to the tank. Is the STI returnless? Even if so, the fuel pump can't force the injectors to push more fuel unless the fuel pressure regulator allows it to (or an EM is used). Anyone with experience on this? Good question!

·
Registered
98 Posts
sorry to bump a slightly old topic but my brain just completely shut off for some reason. If i'm running the stg 2 off the shelf map, will i need to get tuned after installing the 255lph pump?

instinct says no for reasons already detailed in this thread (fpr determines load via pressure, not simple voltage readings, etc), but i'm having a dumb day today.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
it's always good to get tuned for new mods. adding the fuel pump should be ok. the only thing i could forsee happening is that you would run a little rich. rich is ok though in terms of safety.

also, here's a pic of my typhoon extended heat shield:

·
Registered
489 Posts
lokutus1 said:
it's always good to get tuned for new mods. adding the fuel pump should be ok. the only thing i could forsee happening is that you would run a little rich. rich is ok though in terms of safety.

also, here's a pic of my typhoon extended heat shield:
Godd looking heat shield. What did you make it out of, maybe a how-to or a template. Looks exactly like what I am trying to do but I'm not very creative. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
i bought one of those stiff "no parking" plastic signs from home depot. don't get the flimsy stuff. i then made a template out of card board and transferred it to the plastic sign. i sprayed it w/ flat black paint and attached it to my typhoon heat shield w/ 4 nuts and bolts. you'll have to drill holes in the typhoon's shield, but it's easy. be careful not to bend the plastic too much or it will tear. that's all there is to it. it works pretty well too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts