IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need a bit of advice here. I've got my 2011 WRX sitting pretty on a stage 1 OTS tune and a bunch of parts in my warehouse to make her go faster. i.e. large TMIC, EBCS, BPV, Downpipe, DW65c, 1000cc injectors, and a Cobb FF kit. I'm guessing the car will put down about 350+ torque to the wheels after a protune. I had the clutch replaced at 20k miles and I'm now at 50k, so the replacement OEM clutch now has 30k on it. Will I need a stronger clutch by the time I dyno the car? I'm worried the clutch will slip while getting tuned. Any input is welcome..

-Joey

·
Registered
350 Posts
it sounds to me like you are generally hard on your clutch if you needed a replacement at 20k, with more power its life will decrease if you drive harder.

That being said i dont see any reason why it couldnt handle the dyno for a couple runs. Its when you get the car out on the street where i see the problems arising.

edit: just noticed this is not an STi? disregard i dont know anything about their clutches lol

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
getting close to the limit no doubt. And as already stated, once it's out on the street in varying conditions it will wear out if subjected to the max torque too frequently. Only way to find out is just do the engine mods and drive it for awhile. If the clutch in it now is brand new that will probably be OK for awhile.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I have been at ~360 whp for about 2 years now with E85.

It is definitely pushing the stock clutch but as long as you aren't beating on it the engine and clutch will be fine as long as the tune is safe. When you start pushing the limits of the stock block it will 95% of the time end badly, and the clutch will be the same.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, I baby my car around. I'm not very hard with shifts and I never launch the car hard. The first clutch failed me for reasons unknown, maybe just a factory defect on the stock clutch or something. The only thing I worry about is that I drive up to the tuner (3 and a half hours) and the car gets on the dyno and can't be properly tuned because the clutch starts to slip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you going to install all those aftermarket parts yourself? Or have a shop or tuner do it for you? I ask because from your parts list you're halfway to reaching the Clutch if you do decide to replace it. Might as well replace it at the same time to save on labor, time etc. I'm not sure what the WRX's clutch can handle, though. Maybe a few more WRX owners can chime in

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
My 11 STi with 390 wtq on E85 needed a clutch replacement at 30k miles (OEM under warranty) and now over 60k miles not slipping yet . Once it goes, I will replace with stronger aftermarket clutch. I had an ACt street clutch on my GD and felt like stock but stronger .

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have 404whp and 413tq on my stock clutch in a 2006 STi 85k miles. About 3000 miles ago had the parts and tune for E85. Clutch holds the power just fine with no slipping. The tuner remarked that the clutch felt stock and asked me which aftermarket it was and when I told it was stock he was amazed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts