IW STi Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a k&n typhoon for my stock 05 sti and am disappointed. Ive done alot of searching through the forums and have found mixed opinions. When i installed the intake and started the car up i was overwhelmed by the BVP sound and everything, but didnt notice any performance gains. In fact the car feels slower at low rpm, its like it lost all low end torque.

I've had the typhoon installed for about 3 weeks, and the temperatures have finally dropped back into the 70's. I was hoping for my performance to pick back up but it didnt. Then last night i installed the stock intake with airbox, and the low end torque is back. I reset the ecu when i installed the k&n but not when i went back to the stock intake, which is wierd (its like the ecu never reset?). Im just getting really frusterated with it, because i would like to use it.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok....well that sucks.

Well for my next mod im looking at the Cobb stage 2 accessport and TBE. When flashing the ecu to stage 2, and with the exhaust will the car run any better with the typhoon, or is best to still stick with stock?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
to get the most out of any intake or engine mod for that matter, a tune will be required. generally w/ the typhoon, you'll lose a little power down low, but you'll gain power up top. it's a trade off. caesar is right, stock intake is best w/ stock turbo.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
try making an extension for the heat shield and ducting in cold air from the fog light area. cold air = an engine's best friend. hot air = :fight:

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I felt I lost power across the board with it, especially when the temps came up this summer. I put the stock box back on and got a ton of torque back. No more short rams for me.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
i notice it a little when moving from a dead stop. i was protuned before i put the typhoon on. i'm getting a new tune next wed. i'll post how it feels afterwards.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
ESsTeAEyEe said:
Stock intake is better for the car on a stock sti...

What you experienced is normal, lots of people get it for the sound.

Yeah Im with him! Thats funny because I had both an SPT and typhoon and had the same issues both times, put the stock airbox on and walahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no lagg

·
Registered
102 Posts
get a aps cai, with typhoon I noticed this. Also I never knew what I was going to get, one day it ran great, next day ran like crap

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Ya, the only intake mod that is worth it is a cold air intake with a protune. That will get you power. When going only stage 2 keep the stock air box as the maps were made with the stock air box in mind. Also, keeping the stock air box will help avoid the infamous boost creep issues. So buy an APS or an Injen CAI and get the car protuned to deal with it. Then you will be running the numbers you paid for.

·
Registered
607 Posts
yeah i was looking for intake and ppl always tell me the k&n typhoon..its the most popular i guess but im not sure bout perfomance wise

·
Registered
222 Posts
I felt a slight top-end gain with mine, didn't notice any loss or anything on the low-end or mid-range. Guess that doesn't mean it wasn't there, just didn't notice it.

The intake you have/don't have really has nothing to do with boost creep. That's an exhaust housing/wastegate flow issue. I'm sure it's possible to get it on the stock air box as well as other aftermarket intakes.

If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't have purchased the Typhoon, but that's cuz I plan on going rotated.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
subiesteye said:
yeah i was looking for intake and ppl always tell me the k&n typhoon..its the most popular i guess but im not sure bout perfomance wise

yeah, spend your money elsewhere in the MOD department

·
Registered
412 Posts
i actually felt a nice improvement on my butt dyno at the top, but the bottom end i lost, so much to the point where it lagged and got really annoying. had the k&n for 5 days, sold it here, replaced it w/ the stock box, all is good now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts