IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past two weekends, Dan and his crew (Mike and Jason) at Godspeed Inc. installed Godspeed Stage 1+ and a few other handling mods on my STi.

The short gist of it all is that (1) Dan and his team did an awesome job; (2) the relatively minor mods increased the performance quite a bit on my STi; (3) depending on your luck/car, you may need to port your waste gate to avoid boost creep even with this mod.

[EDIT: the boost creep is now under control -- porting + EBC setting did it.]

If you want the nauseating detail, read on...

The list of mods:

((Previous Mods))
- Clear head lights
- TurboXS Type H-RFL blow-off valve
- Window tint
- Hood scoop mesh
- Fog lights
- StaticX grounding kit

((Weekend #1)) Godspeed Stage 1+ and Tuning
- APEXi Power Intake
- Stock air box and resonator deletion
- Godspeed Downpipe
- GReddy Profec e-01 electronic boost controller
- GReddy e-manage piggyback engine management system
- e-manage-to-e-01 linkage via USB.
- Dyno tuning-based Godspeed Stage 1+ e-manage map.

((Weekend #2)) Boost creep fix + handling mods
- Stock wastegate porting (extra 2mm or so around the edge)
- Strut tower bars front & back
- Steering rack bushing

The first weekend, we got the Stage 1+ kit installed. It took most of the day. Dan's team spent considerable amount of time and effort to make sure that I understood what was going to happen, what future mods should be considered and most importantly, that their work was carried out with absolute dedication to perfection. I was very impressed with the team's commitment.

I left the car there for the most of the day and came back to join Dan in his dyno tuning session. It was very interesting to see him dyno-tuning my STi with the installed e-01 and e-manage. Every time he altered the e-manage map setting, the HP and torque went up by 15. I begged him not to stop! :lol: Starting at around 235-240 (both torque & HP -- I think as I didn't keep track), we concluded the tuning at 285.3 ft/lb @ 4095rpm and 268.5 HP SAE @ 5579.

That evening, I had guests with me, so I didn't get to push the car. But, the car felt noticeably smoother in power delivery and sounded very very aggressive -- turbo whine, intake air flow and blow off valve. 8) I especially liked how it reached the full boost at around 2800-3000rpm and how the car felt much more responsive.

The next evening when I had a long evening drive on express ways, I found out, unfortunately, that I had boost creep in high gears (5-6). I couldn't control it with the EBC. I experienced one fuel cut at 18.3psi. I quickly set up an over-boost alarm at 16psi and made a follow-up appointment with Dan.

By the way, the e-01 and e-manage integrate nicely over an A-B USB cable connection. I can see the current configuration and change settings of e-manage from the e-01 display. I can store up to 3 e-manage maps on the SD memory card and use the same for storing up to 3 hours of data logging. The combo is highly recommended. You can flick between the digital, bar graph, historical graph and gauge views with one button. Any of the views can report on up to 3 data parameters (throttle position, EBC solenoid duty cycle, boost pressure, RPM, etc..) and will display the recent peak values as well as the historical peaks. But, I digress..

The following weekend, Dan's team examined my car and test drove it in high gears to confirm the suspected creep. The recommendation was to port the waste gate. I really wanted to avoid this as I was planning to go to his GT30R or GT35R kit, but I needed a short-term tactical fix. I also asked the team to install strut bars and steering bushings that I ordered separately.

The most noticeable change after this second session was the tighter steering and chassis feel. (I suppose I got used to the Stage 1+ power delivery by then already.) Considering how inexpensive strut tower bars and steering bushing are, I wish I had them done sooner. The car just feels so much tighter all around!

I was able to push the car all the way up to 6th gear @ 4000rpm. When I went over 5000rpm in the same gear, I noticed a slight boost creep again. The boost pressure went up to 15.9psi at 5500rpm or so. The outdoor temperature was about -9 degrees Celsius. Maybe the temperature had to do with it?

On the following day, I lowered the boost solenoid duty cycle %, and the creep seems to be under control now -- at least within the streetable speed ranges! Hooray.

Dan had never seen a boost creep issue with either Stage 1 or 1+ kit, and he has done many Stage 1 and 1+ installs since they came out. He was surprised that the creep was not detected during the dyno session and that porting was necessary on my car at all. Why me? Why me? :-( I don't think I have a particularly free flowing stock exhaust, causing this.) Anyhow, I now have a setup with which I can even entertain the idea of an aggressively growling catback... ;-)

I'd better go out for a drive. :lol:

Hope you enjoyed this review.

PS. Dan gave me the Godspeed logo vinyls. As soon as the weather gets better, I think I will be adorning them on my STi. I think I will add "Stage 1+" next to that and gradually increase it to "Stage GT35R" or whatever stage that is going to be called by Dan and his crew.

·
Registered
72 Posts
great review!-I have essentially the same mods as you engine wise but also went with blitz nurspecR exhaust, so i ported and polished from the start. I would agree that the application of power feels much smoother- not as jerky, engine breathing much better- i plan on upgrading turbo as well

·
Registered
647 Posts
How much is all the e-manage stuff and how difficult is it to use? Also, you must have been driving FAST to get to 5000 RPM in 6th gear. ;) The speed limiter kicks in at 6000 RPM in 6th gear.

RN

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
renichms -- call up Dan for a quote. He sold the e-manage, some e-manage harnessse and a USB connector (to e-01) as part of his Stage 1+ kit, so I am not entirely sure what the individual component prices were. I presume the e-manage package price anywhere between 350-400.

It takes a little bit of browsing around to figure out how it works as the manual does not cover all the nitty gritty detail, but for the most part on the e-manage front, you dyno-tune it to create a map, save it on an SD card for safe-keeping and you are done. You will rarely touch it once tuned. I find myself fumbling with the e-01 EBC only for data logging and boost settings.

If you don't have an e-01 EBC, you can buy e-manage support tools (PC S/W + a GReddy-specific USB cable) to manipulate and save/load data from a PC.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kencav said:
great review!-I have essentially the same mods as you engine wise but also went with blitz nurspecR exhaust, so i ported and polished from the start. I would agree that the application of power feels much smoother- not as jerky, engine breathing much better- i plan on upgrading turbo as well
Did you do the upgrade at Godspeed as well? I think I saw your previous forum posting that alluded to Godspeed stages.

And... have you noticed any boost creep at all in the 6th gear, near WOT? (If not, any tips to share? ;-) Maybe more than 2mm of porting is necessary?)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Re: Splash Guard Complaint

Thank you for the review Richard. We really appreciate you giving us the opportunity to work on your car. We are very meticulous about everything and I am always cautious about performing anything that may cause any danger to the motor or yourself. I did a lot of research and testing to make sure my staged packages did not create any problems but obviously we do sometimes run into the odd car here and there that does not react the same way as others. From now on when installing a stage 1 or up package I am going to port the wastegate for customers. In fact since I have extra STi turbos I am going to keep a couple of housings ported already so that the customer does not have to wait. We can swap it out and go.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guru said:
Thank you for the review Richard. We really appreciate you giving us the opportunity to work on your car. We are very meticulous about everything and I am always cautious about performing anything that may cause any danger to the motor or yourself. I did a lot of research and testing to make sure my staged packages did not create any problems but obviously we do sometimes run into the odd car here and there that does not react the same way as others. From now on when installing a stage 1 or up package I am going to port the wastegate for customers. In fact since I have extra STi turbos I am going to keep a couple of housings ported already so that the customer does not have to wait. We can swap it out and go.
I understand the oddity you speak of completely. Same company / model / spec, yet some cars ping, mine doesn't. Some cars do not quite reach the same torque / HP levels as my car after the same mods... Fact of life, eh? :)

I just got back from a little more driving and testing of the car. After changing the e-01 setting even lower, I seem to have the creep under control. My first post is updated accordingly. The boost level is now at around 15psi with max 15.3 or so in 6th. I am so very glad.. so glad. I guess I could consider a cat-back exhaust now..? :lol:

You know, I figured not all downpipe owners out there would have tested their dp + EBC set-up by going full boost in 6th to see if the boost level creeps up, considering the speed implication that renichms alluded to.. 8)

Thanks for the great work and please send my regards to Mike and Jason, as well, who treated my car like their babies.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
awsome review... kinda strange how you got boost creep with just a downpipe though... Congrats on your mods though! Dan and the crew come through again!

Robert~

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Nice review. What kind of difference in acceleration does one feel with the boost increased from 14.5 to 15.5 or 16??

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nivek-CA said:
Nice review. What kind of difference in acceleration does one feel with the boost increased from 14.5 to 15.5 or 16??
Hard for me to say. I have only been between 15-15.5psi ever since the boost creep was put under control... Maybe someone else has tested different boost settings?

I'd test it myself except for the fact that I want to hold on to my license... :lol: With rapid acceleration to 90+mph and a loud BOV, I tend to gather some attention on the road if I accelerated maddeningly. During a regular commute, I usually stay below 3200rpm with a low boost setting, receiving no such attention, though. :wink:

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
sorry tokeep asking this, but... how did you get boost creep with just a downpipe and intake? That seems rather odd as the catback was still stock *shrug*.

Robert~

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
staticx313 said:
sorry tokeep asking this, but... how did you get boost creep with just a downpipe and intake? That seems rather odd as the catback was still stock *shrug*.

Robert~
You know, I have no idea. Both Dan and I were surprised to find that. It was not temperature-related, either, as it was relatively warm when I picked up my car (~ 28'F-30'F outside).

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
man, thats annoying... well Im glad it all worked out! Great #s and have some fun :)!

Robert~

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
i'm going out on a limb.......

did you break in the motor easily, or did you horse it maybe more than suggested. i'm going to suspect that you were a little hard on her.

so far, the stock sti owners i've personally talked to do not build full boost until around 3200rpm give/take. of those owners the ones that were harder on the motor had a lower full boost rpm. i am at full boost at 2600-2700 rpms.

or my boost gauge is totally @%^& up.

ted

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nhsilversti said:
i'm going out on a limb.......

did you break in the motor easily, or did you horse it maybe more than suggested. i'm going to suspect that you were a little hard on her.

so far, the stock sti owners i've personally talked to do not build full boost until around 3200rpm give/take. of those owners the ones that were harder on the motor had a lower full boost rpm. i am at full boost at 2600-2700 rpms.

or my boost gauge is totally @%^& up.

ted
The earlier full boost is made possible with an EBC. Before the EBC, I didn't sense the impact of full boost until after 3000rpm. Probably closer to 3500rpm. I say 'sensed' because I did not have a boost gauge before.

I had my car broken in gently for the first 1000 miles by driving at below 4000rpm. It was a painful process but I managed to keep things gentle.

I am surprised, though, that a break-in method has any bearing at all on the full boost RPM? What would be the logic behind that?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
staticx313 said:
man, thats annoying... well Im glad it all worked out! Great #s and have some fun :)!

Robert~
Does your SBC-id have an RPM offset feature? How did you configure it?
I wanted to compare your settings to my e-01 settings for comparison. I realise that configs will not translate one to one between the two.

I use the manual setting of 43 or 44, start @ 11.6psi, gain=9, warning & limit 100% @ 15.0psi. No RPM offset is defined yet (will be getting this from Dan later today) as we zero'ed it out during our boost creep trouble shooting.

I wonder how high can I go safely. Dan recommends 15, so I am sticking with it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts