IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the exhaust in today ( THANK YOU DAN ) and we (me and my mechanic) put it on real quick. We bent the back hangers down in the middle like .01" just so that theres finger length between the exhaust and bumper, but im going to put extra long hangers on the back and see if that will fix it (im sure it will as it did the first time, just this time i wont drop the whole exhaust down 1"). Ok... now for the review... AWSOME. The fit was perfect, both the downpipe and the exhaust catback. I havE NO CREEPIING WWWOOOOOOWOOOOOO. I hit like a peak of 15.9 and thats where I have it set (well I had itset for 15.7 or so, but with a catback it'll raise the psi a tad obviously, and weather conditions change and etc...). The sound is AMAZING. The Godspeed downpipe is soooo perfect. You can hear how clear this exhaust is, zERO turbulence, and its got a monster roar to put a v8 to shame. The power is INSANE. I havent reset the ecu and retune it(the 5second ecu thing), but its top end pull is AMAZING. This exhaust is so clean for being a full 3"...with just the catback and stock downpipe it was choppy and poppy, but this is just awsome, clean, nice huge roar, (obviously its going to pop when revved in idle) but no popping otherwise unless you drop it from like 4th to 2nd or something. SWEET SWEET setup and for $900 brand new (probably ~$750 used or less) you CANT go wrong. The power increase is just awsome, I want to go drive all night, but it misted, which means the roads are really slick, so I'll have to wait :(. Anyways... I grab pics and videos and such! Just had to share the good news as its SOO awsome.

Robert~

Also a huge weight difference! man.. dropped like 25-30lbs easy.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but didn't you lose a cat by doing the downpipe? I am waiting for a stage kit or parts from vendors that can up my horsepower/torque while still letting me pass emissions.

Also, you describe the sound as a roar, what about at idle and while "normal" city driving (under 3.5k or so)? I would like a solution that gives me power w/o creating the horrible exhaust drone that hopped up imports seem to be known for. I'd actually prefer not to draw the attention of any cops within hearing range under acceleration either, for that matter. :)

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RadarOnPaws said:
I'm sure this is a stupid question, but didn't you lose a cat by doing the downpipe? I am waiting for a stage kit or parts from vendors that can up my horsepower/torque while still letting me pass emissions.

Also, you describe the sound as a roar, what about at idle and while "normal" city driving (under 3.5k or so)? I would like a solution that gives me power w/o creating the horrible exhaust drone that hopped up imports seem to be known for. I'd actually prefer not to draw the attention of any cops within hearing range under acceleration either, for that matter. :)
Yes I am catless now :). I tried hard to find catted downpipes,but the only was the TurboXS and I dont like their sound... that and I didnt want to pay $1200 for a turboback..when I can make my own turbo back for $900 new (probably $700 used) and still get the same performance, and to ME a better sound. At idle it sounds like a dang HUGE cammed v8 muscle car. One of my friends even said it sounded like a v12 lol. It is loud, but there is a silencer available. I havent tried it, but will show the differences in a video. This is not the catback to get if you want quiet or mean sounding. At full rpms it sounds like a dang race car, very awsome. I got some big eyed looks from people ;) trying to figure out what i have under the hood :D. As for the silencer I tried to hand turn the bolt, but it rattled too much, so i just left it out. Im going to take aluminum tape and insulation and wrap about the edges to make sure it is SEAL proof and wont rattle.

Elucas - Today is the first day I dont have a lot of work lol :) wOOO. I plan on putting together my new weight rack and weight machine, but I will ahve plenty of time to do this. Also I got your wire in and will ship it out asap.

Robert~

·
Registered
198 Posts
Robert - I definitely want to see/hear a video, as exhaust is the next mod I want to do. The grounding kit should arrive on Monday (damn UPS and their holidays), and I can't wait to put it in.

JB

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry guys, I didnt get a video today as I had some very important things to come up, I will get one tomorrow though. Also this exhaust is NOT for those who are suttle and want something quiet. It is loud and mean and will show up even the biggest v8. I havent put in the silencer yet, but i put a layer of aluminum tape around the edge so that it would not rattle and wouldnt leak or anything. I will try to grab pics once my extra long exhaust hangers come in and I will try to get a video tomorrow. Sorry again about not having it today :(.

Robert~

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone know how to get it to stop rattling - silencer? I put aluminum tape somewhat around it, but still no go? Anyone?

Robert~

·
Registered
20 Posts
You just need to play around with it, until it doesn't rattle anymore. I used to pull the top right or bottom right of the silencer before I thighten the screw.

·
Registered
176 Posts
is this the blitz nur spec cat back or some other set up

i have gt spec header, godspeed downpipe and stock cat back on my sti sounds a lot better and a little louder. im looking to get a cat back set up and i want it a little louder but not where you hear it in the car a lot

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL, well sorry norcal, with just downpipe and catback (blitz) its VERY loud. Yes the nur spec is a catback setup and with the godspeed downpipe its a full catless turboback. With headers i bet it would be unbarably loud.

Thank you enzo, I will try that. I put aluminum tape around the edges o that it would seal, but it still rattles, is it the silencer rattling or the bolt or what?

If you've ever seen the top gear video on the GT40, thats what the loudness/roar is like :).

Robert~

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Re: Who Does Not Have Boost Creep Problem With TBE?

I've been considering the Nur Spec Touring (same exhaust as the R but has a bigger can).

Robert, didn't you have your mechanic port your wastegate?

If not, I might be following in your footsteps. :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Robert- same concern- i am planning on purchasing godspeed stage 1 plus upgrade- includes downpipe and intake BUT NO CATBACK. I spoke to dan several times- he says if i added cat i would need to port wastegate- concerns?- ken

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TreyS said:
I've been considering the Nur Spec Touring (same exhaust as the R but has a bigger can).

Robert, didn't you have your mechanic port your wastegate?

If not, I might be following in your footsteps. :D
Yes :( unfortunately I experienced some more boost creep today :(... it was ver y slow though, but itwas there. At about 5500 rpms in 4th it went from 15.9 - 16.7 and was rising, but I let off the gas by 6800. Lol i guess its kinda the opposite of what it was doing, instead of dying at redline, its now growing ;). I will see how much more he can port out.

Kencav - yes if you got a catback, you'd be required to port the wastegate. I will be going back and having my mechanic do it again as well.

Robert~

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow... in CA you will probably have some problems... with DB levels and being catless... good luck.

Robert~

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
That's my problem here... we have to pass emissions. I need to get a package from someone that doesn't involve ripping out all my cats.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Serge said:
Staticx313,
Yes you are right, but I want more power....
I think we all have that problem ;) good luck.. if anything get a cat near to the source otherwise, the farther you get, the worse the filtering and then you'll just be wasting your cat... as if you have it to far out it wont clean as well and you just have a plug in the exhaust.

Robert~

1 - 18 of 18 Posts