IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 623 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Re: STi Wagon Weekend Race Car , Function > Form

i considered going for a build revolving around a 3076. however, the amount of money and work you spend yield little in a sense compared to the reliability and power you will make. im going to have to build something else if i ever go on a power quest. power mods are done for me. :(
You end up dropping 5-8k for an 11 second car while sacrificing street ability.

I would much rather have something I can autox every weekend and enjoy on long trips.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

You end up dropping 5-8k for an 11 second car while sacrificing street ability.

I would much rather have something I can autox every weekend and enjoy on long trips.
not to mention the possibility of the block taking a dump on you at those power levels.

·
Registered
671 Posts

That same theory is the same for ALOT of other imports, though. I have a buddy with a 11 sec Evo 8. It constantly breaks. But he loves that car nonetheless. Also other friends with ~11 sec or better cars. Same story as before. Mind you these are NOT daily driven. Honestly most highly modified cars shouldn't be driven daily.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

my friend has an evo X making around 630 on E85. its probably only been running for a month after almost a year of problems from building it. daily driven too lol.

Edit:
and im not saying i would even be looking at other imports. there are just better platforms in all sorts of places to make better power.

·
Registered
671 Posts

Agreed. All the same though, you do it because it's what you want to do. Granted MOST other platforms will cost similar or triple the price for power/reliability. Isn't the cheapest way to go under 12 seconds in the 1/4 mile still to just buy a crotch rocket? Lol

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

not to mention the possibility of the block taking a dump on you at those power levels.
The block's themselves are fine to around 450whp as the liners are pretty robust, The EJ257 pistons will fail before that and the 207 stock bottom end will be stressed at that level.

That same theory is the same for ALOT of other imports, though. I have a buddy with a 11 sec Evo 8. It constantly breaks. But he loves that car nonetheless. Also other friends with ~11 sec or better cars. Same story as before. Mind you these are NOT daily driven. Honestly most highly modified cars shouldn't be driven daily.
There are plenty of those in the Detroit area , Cars that you will see for a few weekends then vanish for two months.

my friend has an evo X making around 630 on E85. its probably only been running for a month after almost a year of problems from building it. daily driven too lol.

Edit:
and im not saying i would even be looking at other imports. there are just better platforms in all sorts of places to make better power.
Oh of course , if I wanted a big power drag car I would do an Evo 8 or JZ platform

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

Fall Means WRC Michigan Special Stage !

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

Where did u find those wheels? And are they 5x100/114?
5x100+53 17x7.5

They are oem V7 and V8 Sti wheels , I got them off J Spec auto an importer in the Virginia area.

·
Registered
671 Posts

i considered going for a build revolving around a 3076. however, the amount of money and work you spend yield little in a sense compared to the reliability and power you will make. im going to have to build something else if i ever go on a power quest. power mods are done for me. :(
How much power were you chasing?

·
Registered
671 Posts

5x100+53 17x7.5

They are oem V7 and V8 Sti wheels , I got them off J Spec auto an importer in the Virginia area.
They couldn't have been cheap....depending on what year 6 speed I end up swapping, those are a set I will be looking for. They make perfect winter wheels.

·
Registered
671 Posts

Capable on pump and race gas. All depends on the octane levels.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

They couldn't have been cheap....depending on what year 6 speed I end up swapping, those are a set I will be looking for. They make perfect winter wheels.
$800 Shipped with RE11s that had 50% tread

$200 worth of powder later they looked brand new !

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

Terrible picture but yeah , It was fun

Nokian Haka R2's are fantastic

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)

Nokian Haka R2's are fantastic

Excellent snow grip , Excellent dry grip and minimal road noise.

A great purchase overall.

Sidewalls are a bit mushy but hey its a snow tire. That is to be expected really.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #60

These might happen , Waiting on an invoice from Japanland

41 - 60 of 623 Posts