IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I am hoping you all can help me with some gift ideas for my husband. I really have no business being here and I realize it's a silly request. However, he is impossible to shop for and we have a VERY big anniversary coming up! Like you, he loves his STI and I see him on this site ALL the time. He has no idea I'm doing this. He would be mortified if he knew! But maybe I'll get lucky and he will be one of the people that replies with an idea :) Budget - I'd say up to $2,000 and I know some stuff is super personal and comes down to preference, but I'd be grateful for any ideas you could give me! I'd be excited to even find out where you guys shop. After all these years together it would be so cool if I could surprise him.
Thanks for any help I can get!
STIWife

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts
We can give you lots of ideas - but we need as much info as you can provide - no more :)

Year, miles, does he do maintenance. Does he want to do maintenance.. How bout install what you give him, or does that need to included in the cost?

Yeah we info. Is the car modded now. is he more interested in performance or say audio. where do you live. Does he have a second set of wheels for winter? - that could be a great gift unless you live in the south. Yeah info . . .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s a 2019, not sure on miles- maybe 15-20k, does his own maintenance, maint costs do not need to be part of budget. Definitely performance. Yes- he’s got summer tires & winter tires. Hasn’t modified it yet. I know he wants to modify, but he also wouldn’t want anything too flashy. He’s not one to draw attention to himself. We live in the Midwest. Winter tires went on last week.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Give the gift of a track day, sign up for track night in America hosted by SCCA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,651 Posts
I’m going to sdd to this in the mirning,
If just winter tires went in and he can do some work then anither set of wheels so he can lesve em mounted and change them at will

No power mods if he doesn't want to void warranty.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ADDED: If and only if warranty is not a issue I wholeheartedly agree with an Access Port as mentioned below . It will makes a small difference now, annd is the gateway to power mods down the road. I didn't mention it because it still a new car unless he's nearing the mileage limit on its warranty annd if he doesn't care about warranty then and is at all knowledgeable he may already have one! and then a Down Pipe is the next item on the list and what downpipe to buy depends on is use and what state you are in. Thats why I wrote info, info, info!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

any track time would be great too

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maybe a Cobb tuner and intake kit like on subispeeds website here: https://www.subispeed.com/part/x01p-bundle-parent-cobb-stage-1-power-pack#.X7El22hKiUl
The tuner is a must have to start off with some performance modding and you'd additionally get your first mod with having an intake on it. Don't have to worry much about warranty, given you can remove the intake for stock and you can always go back to stock tune. The tuner will also be a good investment to be able to go forwards in all other mods as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Better yet too if you're shipping to the house and really want to make it a surprise maybe email or call before placing the order to ask to discrete packaging, I'm sure they'll hook you up, I've used their customer support and they're very friendly

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
If he isnt concerned with warranty, start him off with a Cobb stage 1 intake and accessport package. Intake and tune will give him a reall nice noticable differance in performance all while being fun and enjoyable for daily use. Also it wouldnt be loud to the point were its noticable to others on the outside lol. There are plenty of places to order something like this from and doesnt have to be directly from Cobb either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It’s a 2019, not sure on miles- maybe 15-20k, does his own maintenance, maint costs do not need to be part of budget. Definitely performance. Yes- he’s got summer tires & winter tires. Hasn’t modified it yet. I know he wants to modify, but he also wouldn’t want anything too flashy. He’s not one to draw attention to himself. We live in the Midwest. Winter tires went on last week.
As you mentioned before, a lot of these mods come down to personal preference. Also as others have mentioned, there could be warranty and longevity concerns with certain mods. Difficulty of install is another concern. So let's make a list that takes all that into consideration. All items mentioned should have a link to the products. Feel free to compare prices elsewhere, I'm just linking to where I first found them.

If he is interested in handling modifications, a good first step that is great all-around value would be a 22mm Whiteline sway bar kit, Kartboy end links, and front sway bar bushings.

A Cobb short throw kit is another good choice that would really improve the driving feel. Weathertech floormats are a great idea if he doesn't have them already.

For engine related mods, the only things I'd recommend would be the GetaDomTune Cylinder 4 mod and maybe an exhaust of some sort. The cylinder 4 mod is actually a great idea for engine longevity and not too bad to install. He might not even want an exhaust given his preference to stay under the radar, but if he'd like more sound an axle-back like this is incredibly simple to install and doesn't look too different from the factory exhaust.

I don't have many ideas for the appearance as I too dislike being super flashy. That said, I think a good first buy is the left and right OEM black fender badges. Subtle and much better looking that the chrome (don't waste time with the aftermarket ones, most don't fit as well and the OEM's fit and finish is way better). I also like the STI oil cap. It's expensive and doesn't actually do anything but I happen to think it looks great and OEM. I think it's a good gift idea for someone because most people would never buy it for themselves due to the price.

You are great for doing this by the way. He's lucky!

·
Registered
27 Posts
So.... this is me. Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply to this. I am still planning on keeping the warranty, going back and forth on a downpipe/ELH at 60k miles (which complicates the crap out of catback selection btw), but we need a vaccine to get there as working from home is making 0 progress on that front. But THEN these will be great ideas. For now, just going with a whole lot of Group N mounts/bushings to see how that feels. The swaybar route would be great too, but really isn't justified until I can finally get this thing to autocross someday and learn a few things first. Again, thank you for the helpful and friendly replies to my wife.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Get him a Cobb Accesport. He can tune to sfg 1 or 2 with the included maps. Have an economy tune as well and monitor all his parameters with data logging. They are 10% off right now

·
Registered
20 Posts

You might find something nice in the Subaru Japan collection. Japanparts.com should be able to get anything from Subaru

1 - 13 of 13 Posts