IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been reading posts the posts at this site for about a month. i think it is a wonderful site with alot of like-minding people all with one goal. to talk about one of the most awesome cars to be put into production at a reasonable price EVER!!! however i am concerned that alot of people who bought an STi were not completely aware of what they were getting into. above all the STi is a racecar that has been made legal for use on public roads. factors like ride comfort and interior noise reduction have been thrown out the window in favor of peformance.
the other thing that has me concerned is the lack of basic automotive knowledge that some people at this site seem to exhibit. now please, i am not calling anyone stupid!!!! i would never do that. i guess all i'm saying is that it would be great if everyone out there would go down to the bookstore or library or go online and take some time to look up topics like detonation, how turbos work, suspension and handling, AWD compared to RWD AND FWD.....etc. if you want to know about it someone has written something about it. i spent the last 10 years of my life reading about cars. anything i could find. i did'nt care if it was about Chevy V8's or VTEC's. automotive theory is universal. get educated and i can honestly say that we all will be able to greater appreciate the technological marvel that we know and love, the STi.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Welcome to the forums, great to see another knowledgable guy here.. Looking forward to your contibutions to some newbies questions..
:)

crashsti said:
i've been reading posts the posts at this site for about a month. i think it is a wonderful site with alot of like-minding people all with one goal. to talk about one of the most awesome cars to be put into production at a reasonable price EVER!!! however i am concerned that alot of people who bought an STi were not completely aware of what they were getting into. above all the STi is a racecar that has been made legal for use on public roads. factors like ride comfort and interior noise reduction have been thrown out the window in favor of peformance.
the other thing that has me concerned is the lack of basic automotive knowledge that some people at this site seem to exhibit. now please, i am not calling anyone stupid!!!! i would never do that. i guess all i'm saying is that it would be great if everyone out there would go down to the bookstore or library or go online and take some time to look up topics like detonation, how turbos work, suspension and handling, AWD compared to RWD AND FWD.....etc. if you want to know about it someone has written something about it. i spent the last 10 years of my life reading about cars. anything i could find. i did'nt care if it was about Chevy V8's or VTEC's. automotive theory is universal. get educated and i can honestly say that we all will be able to greater appreciate the technological marvel that we know and love, the STi.

·
wie geht es ihnen?
2,218 Posts
new here as well. however, not new to forced induction.

i previously drove a stage III+ 300ZX twin turbo and more recenlty a stage II+ Audi S4. both big heavy high wheel HP cars. the STi is a blast to drive - light and nimble. and i'm fortunate it isn't my daily driver.

but even i don't know everything, nor do i claim to. i still get stuff mixed up from time to time.

you're correct about the STI. the only thing it needs to actually be a "race" car is a roll cage...and viola! we're racing in NASA, etc.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did'nt mean to come across as a know-it-all. i'm always learning something new myself. i just think that anyone owning an STi would benefit from knowing what makes it tick. i suppose the post that made me decide to say what i said was when someone asked what grade and viscosity of oil to run in the STi. we all should have started by reading the owner's manual.

·
Registered
167 Posts
crashsti said:
i suppose the post that made me decide to say what i said was when someone asked what grade and viscosity of oil to run in the STi. we all should have started by reading the owner's manual.
I could not agree with you more. If the answer is in the owner's manual, I usually don't post a reply.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
crashsti said:
did'nt mean to come across as a know-it-all. i'm always learning something new myself. i just think that anyone owning an STi would benefit from knowing what makes it tick. i suppose the post that made me decide to say what i said was when someone asked what grade and viscosity of oil to run in the STi. we all should have started by reading the owner's manual.
Indeed. . . . and it is reasons such as those that make sites such as this a VERY GOOD THING. If the site were little more than a social board, I can't say it'd be nearly as appealing to the vast majority of STi owners we're going to see up here. That said, I have a lot of common sense. I have a decent amount of car knowledge. I have very little turbo knowledge. Do I read 10x as many threads as I participate in up here? You bet! Already, this site ranks way up there for technical information on the very car it represents. So many sites I've visited over the years for other cars and car makers cannot claim that much.

If everyone knew a ton about their STi, where would be the opportunities to help out newbs who are really trying to gain said knowledge? I'm thrilled to no end that I'll be learning a lot more about my STi once I pick it up this week. In time, I'll be able to answer more questions than I ask.

However. . . . do not assume for a second that, just because a car owner does not posess intimate knowledge of the workings of their automobile, that they do not immensely appreciate and respect what it is they sit their happy little butt in every day. ;)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think they'll appreciate the STi even more when they do get that intimate knowledge. to know exactly how the STi works is the beginning of knowing how to make it go faster and handle better. the STi is awesome and i look forward to seeing exactly how far people can take it. they say knowledge is power. in terms of cars this is especially true.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts