IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any thoughts re how long this motor is going to hold up as a spirited daily driver? I'm leaning pretty strongly toward the STi, but I have never owned a turbo'ed car - factory or otherwise.

I wouldn't expect a F/I setup to have the longevity of an unboosted motor, but coming from an all-motor Honda this is something I'm curious about.

Thanks guys,

Paul

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I believe its a tad too early to tell as even in europe and such they have the 2.0L sti. I believe this is a fairly new design. Seems pretty rock solid to me other then the ecu glitch.

Robert~

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I realize it's a bit early to evaluate the motor itself. I'm thinking more in terms of factory turbo vs factory N/A.

I was very pleased with the power delivery of the STi's motor when I drove it, but there must be a longevity liability, even at stock boost levels.

Paul

·
Registered
199 Posts
the ej20 is very robust and will take a large amount of abuse/modification before it bocomes unreliable. the ej257 is an all new motor so i would guess it will take some time before we really know how good/bad it is.

·
Registered
575 Posts
sciolist said:
Yeah, I realize it's a bit early to evaluate the motor itself. I'm thinking more in terms of factory turbo vs factory N/A.

I was very pleased with the power delivery of the STi's motor when I drove it, but there must be a longevity liability, even at stock boost levels.

Paul
A Factory turbo car is designed to run under boost and it will do what it was designed to do all day long. Remember that a turbo motor runs lower compression and block design is made around a turbo boosting the compression. Putting a turbo on a non turbo motor is a completely different story and will obviously have an impact on relaibility down the road.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks yxan2.

I guess my concern is somewhat born out of horror stories from aftermarket turbo projects. It does not seem like the compression pressure alone would be a problem. If I'm doing my math correctly, a motor with 8.0:1 compression boosted to 14 psi would only be running at 8.95:1.

No doubt you're right, there is a big difference between a facory-turbo'ed motor and an aftermarket application.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts