IW STi Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I recently did a trans job on my 2011 STI hatch that required me to replace my clutch housing due to a pivot shaft housing failure. After putting everything back together, I noticed in the center of neutral and in 3rd and 4th gear there is a grinding noise that is happening. However, if I move the shifter to the left or right while in gear (you know how sloppy the subaru shifters are) the noise goes away, almost as if the shift linkage is misaligned or something. I filled the trans with fluid correctly and with the proper fluid (75w-90), and I checked after initial drive that there is no leaks, I do intend to check again. Could this be from a poorly bled clutch or a lack of fluid? Any help would be amazing. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
572 Posts
the reverse lockout cable sometimes contacts the driveshaft...need to zip tie it out of the way better, iirc where you tie it to the shifter is what affects this, common with kartboy from my prior research

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the reverse lockout cable sometimes contacts the driveshaft...need to zip tie it out of the way better, iirc where you tie it to the shifter is what affects this, common with kartboy from my prior research
I’m assuming you’re referring to the piece that has the cotter pin going through it. I used the factory “connector” but i will throw the car up and double check this, because it’s making me lose my mind thinking I’m just tearing up something.

·
Registered
572 Posts
no, the rubber coated cable that runs from that to the transmission, if left un-tied or tied in the wrong spot those two gears let it drag on the driveshaft u-joint sounding like that...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well isn’t that the cable that you connect to the transmission with a cotter pin? If so i know exactly what you’re talking about and it was zip tied before i pulled the trans and i did not put the tie back on. I will give it a shot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no, the rubber coated cable that runs from that to the transmission, if left un-tied or tied in the wrong spot those two gears let it drag on the driveshaft u-joint sounding like that...
put it up in the air at work and sure enough it was rubbing, minor wear done to the driveshaft and it took the rubber off of the cable but i re-wrapped it. No more grinding noise. Thanks so much! never would have thought of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts