IW STi Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I'm currently running the gates kit on my built motor with the blue Kevlar belt. no problems so far lol. I'm a bit confused as to why people would say to avoid the blue kevlar belt though. It doesn't stretch as much as a stock belt, so to me that sounds awesome..no? and why?? if no.

·
Registered
13,089 Posts
It may not last as long, since built engines are generally rebuilt more often than OEM jobs.

·
Registered
276 Posts
It's my understanding that the concern with the Blue belts is that the blue rubs off on the idlers and makes them ever so slightly lopsided that way, hence changing the timing slightly.

I am having a hard time believing that myself, but I guess anything is possible...

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
It's my understanding that the concern with the Blue belts is that the blue rubs off on the idlers and makes them ever so slightly lopsided that way, hence changing the timing slightly.

I am having a hard time believing that myself, but I guess anything is possible...
That's an interesting conclusion but as you said anything is possible. I guess we will all find out because I currently have 2500 miles on my motor. at about 10,000 I'm going to take the timing covers off and check evrything anyway so I'll post some pic's for everyone to see and we will find out for sure.

·
Registered
108 Posts

This makes a lot of sense. After 6,000 miles with my blue belt I got some rough idle, took it to subie dealer and blue belt is rubbing all over and throwing my timing completely off. They want to change everything to oem. While looking for an answer to go OEM or Gates I found this post.

Now I don't know if I should get the regular gates belt or the OEM. the OEM kit is a lot more expensive like $500 vs the gates $300 kit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just pulled my engine for a maintenance short block change, after 20 track days on new gates blue belt and was not happy with the degradation of the blue back, and build up of blue on the idlers. A good amount of build up. This was from a new belt 3 months ago. Going back to black stock belt

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
i don't understand why anyone would use an aftermarket timing belt. can anyone explain your rationale? it can't be that much money but, it's silly on its face.

btw, subaru makes an "sti" belt that is an upgrade to the belt installed on the gds, anyway. i assume they make it for the grs, too.

·
Registered
792 Posts
i don't understand why anyone would use an aftermarket timing belt. can anyone explain your rationale? it can't be that much money but, it's silly on its face.

btw, subaru makes an "sti" belt that is an upgrade to the belt installed on the gds, anyway. i assume they make it for the grs, too.
Gates has been around a very long time. I have not Googled them, but I know that you cant hardly find a parts store that carries anything else but Gates belts, and hoses. Does that make them good or cheap? I would say both. If they are junk they would go out of business.

I used the Blue belt and probably should not have as it is more for high power, rpm engines that will get rebuilt often. That was not my plan, but thats what I get for putting racing parts on my street car.
So far no issues, but only 5000 miles on the belt.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
the sti kevlar belt, as distinguished from the lower quality (not, low quality) belt installed in the factory engine), is all the belt you could possibly need regardless of how much power youre making. you could argue that the kevlar belt is unnecessary. either way, stick with oem.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
If gates is the source for the Subaru "sti" kevlar belt and it's the same belt, i surrender. Lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
The OEM belt is a Unitta and made in Japan. Gates-Unitta seems to one company though. I know on some Honda's they have "Gates" clearly printed on the belt but not on ours.

Only problem is the OEM one is double the price. ~120$

·
Registered
2 Posts
If Gates is not the OEM, I like the blue racing timing belt for my Subaru synchronous belt cam drive. Gates rates it equal to and better than OEM and often such claims should be taken with a grain of salt and consider going with OEM if not a proven product.

Belts can be made of different cord materials, jacket materials & coatings, and rubber material. When I learned Gates racing timing belts are made of EPDM rubber, use aramid cord (generic name for Kevlar), and use teflon impregnated jackets for the tooth side I knew to use this belt regardless of OEM. This construction was originally developed to last longer than chain systems, plus stretch and wear less than chain.

Unfortunately automakers elected to go more with chain 10-15 years ago as the chain suppliers had greater influence as many supplied transmissions and other high end OEM parts influencing engine designs having even some new generation Honda, Toyota and others go to chain systems. Belts for cam systems suffered from historic technology baggage due to older belt constructions baggage while the best timing belt ever was developed by Gates to-date specifically to last the life of the engine 10+ years, 150,000+ miles.

Others like Dayco used teflon on their white belt, much has been duplicated but the Gates construction, like a secret recipe, is the one that makes either the OEM caliber or better belt, if it is the EPDM, aramid, teflon jacket version. Of course they make various other constructions and that is the basis for how well most timing belts perform. OEM's will always charge more since they are the OEM.

I'm putting a Gates Racing Blue belt (EPDM rubber, aramid cord and teflon jacket) on my 2.5L turbo cam drive and do not plan to change the timing belt ever again. I will be checking it though for cracks, wear, and modulus/stiffness to feel if the cord is fatigued after 100K miles and every 30K-50K after that just to make sure.

Super DaveH

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gates and Unitta share some technologies with tensioners and belts coming up with an agreement to work together to give each other presence in other global regions (eg. Gates in Japan).

The Gates Racing blue timing belt may be better than OEM for Honda. Many OEM Honda belts were made by Gates in the US for Honda.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am planning my timing belt replacement on 2014 STI. Just reached 80k. Doing research on cost and quality

Trying to do apples to apples comparison with OEM and Gates kits. I did not see any vendor selling an equivalent kits to the Gates Timing Belt with Water Pump kit on RSD, so here is my research as of March 2017 for 2014 STI from the cheapest dealer website.

• Timing Belt 13028AA250 ($97.17*1=) $97.17
  • Belt Tensioner 13033AA050 ($98.46*1=) $98.46
  • Idler Pulley 13073AA230 ($49.22*2=) $98.44
  • Idler Gear 13085AA080 ($56.20*1=) $56.20
  • Water Pump 21111AA240 ($94.58*1=) $94.58
  • Thermostat Unit 21210AA030 ($19.41*1=) $19.41
  • Thermostat Gasket 21236AA010 ($2.22*1=) $2.22
Subtotal $466.48

vs

Gates Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump (sourced from RSD) TCKWP328 $234.00
• 1 Timing belt
• 1 Hydraulic tensioner
• 4 Idler pulleys
• 1 water pump w/gaskets
• 1 Thermostat gasket

Plus
Subaru OEM Thermostat SUB 21200AA072 $21.95

Subtotal $255.95

so is OEM parts almost double the cost worth it?

Attachments

21 - 36 of 36 Posts